On Twitter: HokiesJournal and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS
Posted at 1:03 PM ET, 01/19/2011

Malcolm Delaney on Maryland: 'They might have the worst fans ever.'

By Mark Giannotto

The NCAA tournament implications alone make Thursday night's game between Virginia Tech and Maryland an intriguing matchup. Due to the weakened state of the ACC this year, both teams are in desperate search of RPI top 100 victories to help pad their resumes.

But the juicier story line revolves around the Hokies' return to Comcast Center. The last time Virginia Tech visited College Park back on February 14, 2009 -- a game Maryland won, 83-73 -- Hokies forward Jeff Allen was caught on camera making an obscene gesture to the Terrapin faithful. He said afterward it was because of a racial slur directed at him by a fan.

And now, almost two years later, the entire ordeal has left a lasting impression on Virginia Tech's players. They're once again preparing for an extremely hostile environment.

"They say anything that comes to mind. They might have the worst fans ever," said senior Malcolm Delaney, a Baltimore native. "Duke is loud because the gym is so small, but Maryland might have the worst fans. ... They say a lot of disrespectful stuff. Even when they were recruiting me, I went to a game where they played Duke and they were reckless. So I’m not surprised by anything they say."

Delaney later said he would actually like to go to a school with such passionate fans, "but at the same time, you can go overboard with some stuff you say."

Delaney emphasized that the team doesn't even need to mention to Allen that he must control his emotions this time around. Allen says he's matured and moved on from the incident. But returning to the scene of such acrimony still worries Coach Seth Greenberg.

"You talk about nasty environments, buying a ticket doesn’t give you a right to be abusive," he said Tuesday. "And you would hope that, quite honestly, the people at Maryland would do their job. Plain and simple. They need to do their job. Just because you buy a ticket to a game doesn’t give you a right to be abusive. And if someone’s abusive to our guys, then those people should be removed if it gets personal. That’s the stance I’ll take."

Perhaps more important than the crowd noise is the fact that Virginia Tech desperately needs a road win over a quality opponent. This season, the Hokies' only victory in a true road game came against UNC Greensboro in an arena that featured more fans clad in maroon and burnt orange than anything else. They also have neutral site wins over Cal State-Northridge, Oklahoma State, Mississippi State and St. Bonaventure.

During the four years Delaney and Allen have been in Blacksburg, Virginia Tech is just 9-16 on the road in ACC play.

"This is no personal vendetta against Maryland," Greenberg said. "It’s a big game for us because if you get a road win, that’s significant. That sets you apart from other teams. We need to break serve."

By Mark Giannotto  | January 19, 2011; 1:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Manny Atkins, Jarell Eddie gaining confidence in new roles for Hokies
Next: Virginia Tech focuses on stopping Maryland's Jordan Williams

Comments

Malcom Delaney is a Moron, and I thought better of Seth Greenberg than to respond the way he did. Its ACC Basketball. Maryland fans are no more abusive than any other ACC fans. Jeff Allen is just looking for an excuse for his "gesture". Does anyone buy that a racial slur was yelled at just him? Give me a break. He is a punk.

Posted by: CDS3 | January 19, 2011 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Allen is a moron too. Guy had a history of flipping out when he fouled out, yet when he flipped out at MD he blamed it on a fan yelling the "N" word. Only one problem: no one yelled the N word and he just made that up to excuse his inappropriate behavior.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

By printing this article, the "abuse" is going to be 10x worse now....I love it..Go Terps.

Posted by: DCFanatic | January 19, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Yes, our student fans at MD are absolutely ridiculous. Why would you ever want to scream insulting and derogatory remarks to an opposing team. IF you lose, only you look like fools, in this case, rich and nasty spoiled brats. That is what these fans are. It needs to be stopped. Oh and by the way, I am a MD fan and 10-yer season ticket holder.

Posted by: bernarddeane | January 19, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is why the Mid-Atlantic has weak fan bases. We are all way toooo sensitive about this kinda stuff. I know this analogy is in a different sport, but do you think Ole Miss and Miss. St players are crying to the media at how mean the other team's fans are??? Boo Hoo Malcolm, maybe if you guys could keep your heads together you wouldn't have to be on the Tourney bubble for the 8th strait year and not make the Dance... Marylands fans are clever and ruthless, not unlike any other good fanbase in the country.

Posted by: hailtothenersh | January 19, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Btw malcolm, look in the mirror if you wanna see someone that talks way too much crap, he might have the biggest mouth in the ACC... C'mon man

Posted by: hailtothenersh | January 19, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

You should practice what you preach VA Tech, you guys remember chanting USA USA USA! whenever Grevis Vasquez went to shoot foul shots? VA tech fans are a bunch of clowns, worry about winning a title in something before accusing a passionate fan base of being abusive.

Posted by: willyr65 | January 19, 2011 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Should be an interesting game.

It seems that Giannotto likes to rile things up with his column.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 19, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

If Seth brings his daughters to the game in two piece bathing suits it will be much less disrespectful.

Posted by: smithjr60 | January 19, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

No one yelled anything racial at the cable box. VT will get manhandled by Jordan Williams and company and the hot head will probably lose his cool once again.

Go terps. Except against the reigning national champion of course.

Posted by: Duke-Rulz-1995 | January 19, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: willyr65 | January 19, 2011 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Ditto on the first post by CDS3. Delaney is a Balti-moron, and Jeff Allen is lying, plain and simple. Maryland very likely has the most diverse student body in the ACC, in terms of race, religion and ethnic background, so give me a break on the racial slur. Allen was doing anything he could to avoid a suspension, and I think it's a cowardly act on his part to lie. VA Tech basketball is a joke.

Posted by: skinsfan11 | January 19, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how it will feel for Malcom Delaney to lose ACC player of the year, 2 years in a row? He was espcially gracious about it last year when he said he thought he should have won it over Vasquez. Also, take it for what it is... I heard the the N word dropped multimple times in 1 evening in Blacksburg, whereas never once in 4 years at college park... irrelevant mayby. Perhaps Jeff Allen would consider volunteeting for cultural outreach program down there.

Posted by: CDS3 | January 19, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

If someone from the student section yelled a racial slur at an opposing player, they wouldnt have made it out of Comcast alive. Guess Jeff Allen doesnt know the PG County demographic that well...

Posted by: CDS3 | January 19, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

See, this is why I hate VT with a passion, the “holier than though” attitude of the students/players/alumni. It just chaps my ass.

VT's basketball program is irrelevant, having been to 2 NCAA tourney's in the last 25 years.

On top of that, their coach is a friggin' whiner, their arena is a sh*tbox and they have the worst color scheme in college sports.

And Jeff Allen is a lying piece of crap, who’s using the “I heard a racial slur” excuse for being, what is and had been his reputation before the incident at Comcast, a hot head.

I hope we bury their asses tomorrow night. GO TERPS!!

Posted by: Section505203 | January 19, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope we bury their asses tomorrow night. GO TERPS!!

Posted by: Section505203 | January 19, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

2 entry's for the price of 1. Thanks WaPo.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 19, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Let me just say for the record when I buy the ticket I buy it to yell and curse at whoever Maryland is playing.

If you don't like it, take your commonwealth delicate sensibilities and go elsewhere. The Great state of Maryland will exercise free speech.

Posted by: khornbeak | January 19, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Guess he's never played at West Virginia.

Posted by: luvdc808 | January 19, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I didnt even know the Hokies had a WaPo beat reporter. Terps will smoke them.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 19, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

More from the the biggest whiner at Whaaa Tech. Still bitter... Just remember Malcom, remember who you lost POY to YOU LOSER. Now youre really going to get it tomorrow night. Bring your blankie Linus, youre going to need it.

Posted by: shrshot | January 19, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"Malcolm Delaney"

Never heard of him.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 19, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

As an alum, sad to say some MD fans are gutless morons and an embarrassment.

Posted by: cscherf1 | January 19, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I've been to MD Football and Basketball and I would NEVER take my son to a game at either venue. It's the most trashy people at their worst. That's a good reason why nobody goes to Byrd! Speaking of trash, maybe MD will win another big game at home again this year and then set some stuff on fire or roll over some cars.

Posted by: BDSAFFELL | January 19, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

cscherf1, as a real MD alum, I think are a Vtech nerd posing as a MD alum.

Oh and....

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey I am a Alum, and BOOHOO you don't take your kid to it because you see and hear cursing. Do you keep them from watching the same crap on TV?

At some point they will be exposed to it. Might as well be in a controlled environment. I love the rage anger and passion the Terp fans have.

Nice that these kids care about something unlike the useless college student of the 60's the hippies.

Posted by: khornbeak | January 19, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BDSAFFELL | January 19, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

That's funny because Maryland has set virtually every attendance record in Byrd stadium's long history in the last 10 years. Claiming "trashy people" are the "good reason" that "no one goes to Byrd" shows each and every person reading this just how dimwitted you are. I hope to God you didn't actually go to Maryland.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: khornbeak | January 19, 2011 2:56 PM
_________

I was ready to join in with everyone else in saying that VT is just making dumb excuses for why they lose. Maryland (with the exception of a few games years ago) is no worse than anywhere else. But then I read the comment above and I have to wonder...you really buy tickets to a college sporting event to "yell and curse" at kids half your age? You need to grow up and stop making everyone else look bad.

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 19, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

marylandarglinton, beat it nerd. You are the same person that calls people stupid when you disagree with them then lectures those same people on the evils of name-calling. Don't make me bring up your comically hypocritical previous posts.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I didnt even know the Hokies had a WaPo beat reporter. Terps will smoke them.

Posted by: jpfterps | January 19, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------
Yea, why in the world does the Post cover VT?

And screw Delaney, try making a shot to win the game for once.

Posted by: cmterpsnskins | January 19, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Ughhh.. Maryland fans are the worst. The comments on this post alone prove Delaney's point. I can appreciate the passion, but there is a fine line between cheering for your team and just being a jerk. Terps fans are the College Basketball equivalent of Eagles fans.

Posted by: LAHokie22 | January 19, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Love the clip, just like it better when the fans show the same class as the team.

Posted by: cscherf1 | January 19, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Barno, pick your battles, man! Did you even read what I said? I am not disagreeing with you. I don't think Maryland fans are any worse than any other fans. People who go to VT football games are surely a lot trashier (in any sense of the word) than people at MD football games. I DO think it's a little ridiculous to say you enjoy Maryland fans for their "rage" and cursing at opposing players. THIS is the terrible stereotype of Maryland fans that half the country believes based on basketball games nine years ago. Cheer and yell all you want during the game, I could care less. But acting like inmates on death row is not stopping idiots like Seth Greenberg from acting like Maryland is worse than VT.

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 19, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Allen is a liar and a chump.

Posted by: wbbradb | January 19, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

-----

I never said that. That was someone else's words. Look, I'm not a huge fan of cursing randomly at players and officials (There is such thing as a Heckler's Code, and it doesn't include much vulgarity...see: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/22/opinion/22ficker.html). But I am not bothered when an entire arena joins in together on some choice words for officials and Duke players, all in good fun, and most of the time words that can be heard on network tv. (bulls*t, etc). So, please spare us your feigned outrage. If your kid is old enough to enjoy a college bball game, he/she is probably old enough to watch tv and hear those same words there. Quit pretending to be offended, you probably joined in on a few choice words yourself at one game or another.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

My son grew up going to Maryland games as son of an alumni. He just graduated from V-Tech and he roots for Maryland Basketball (not football, he says Tech rules there). Obviously V-Tech basketball does not quite provide the excitement he has grown to appreciate from Cole Field and Comcast. I do not think he was scarred by Terps B-Ball games. So Tech fans just remember "People who live in glass houses should not throw rocks". Chanting "USA" while Vazquez shoots free throws. I felt bad for him and any other Latinos watching that game. Good result though.

Posted by: torope | January 19, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barno1,

Why do you think they fired Fridge? Nobody was going to the games!!! Luxury Boxes empty, vacant seats everywhere,.... You're embarassing yourself.

Posted by: BDSAFFELL | January 19, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

What a joke Va Tech is. Don't believe Jeff Allen at ALL. He is a liar.

Many years ago, UVA fans chanted "crack baby" at Juan. All Juan and team did was come back from a large defecit, take the win and come home. Maybe Jeff Allen and Delaney should take note on how to handle rowdy fans.

Posted by: anthonyvalladares | January 19, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Listen, I'm not objecting to it because it offends me. I can say that I never once joined in on the vulgar chants but I didn't run screaming from Comcast either. All I'm saying is that while it's true that people are going to hear those words no matter what, the media gives Maryland a bad reputation for it. Maryland fans may not care about that, but it does make en impact on neutral parties. After that Duke game (which I attended as a student) with all the "choice" words, there were national stories about how disrespectful and immature Maryland students are. Duke fans spend the entire game ignoring the play and screaming nerd nonsense, but they get the benefit of the doubt because of their reputation. Maryland doesn't have that advantage. So while people may enjoy getting riled up and taking out agression at the games, I think in the long run it is hurting Maryland. I'm not saying that any network is going to decline to show our games, but an empty threat of it could make an impact. I guess I just don't get the appeal of the negative. You're at the game to support Maryland, not spend the whole game cursing at some VT bench warmers. Just my two cents.

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 19, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

VTECH is second class, they havent one a national championship in ANY SPORT.

Greenberg is a RAT, that is why he couldnt stand up when Grevis got chanted at down in Blacksburg.

If they lose they'll just have another RAT excuse of why they lost and why they didn't make the tournament again. Can't wait till his RAT as$ gets fired.

Posted by: pjohn1 | January 19, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Someone should ask Delaney which is worse...MD fans or his play in the final seconds of every game he's played in.

Posted by: Lalito1 | January 19, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

BDSaffell the last MD football game at Byrd against VT was mostly Tech Maroon & Orange clad fans in attendance. If they were acting trashy you are just ragging on your own crowd. At Maryland we only riot after losing in the final four NCAA's or just won a share of the ACC Conference Title in basketball. Tech has never been tested for unruly behavior in this way since they have never advanced that far.

Posted by: torope | January 19, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barno1,

Posted by: BDSAFFELL | January 19, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

That's irrelevant to what you said earlier, which was that "people didn't go to games at Byrd because people are trashy there." You seriously believed that. Seriously. Fans avoided Byrd because of the people...wow. There is someone embarrassing themselves here, that part is true, but it isn't me.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

@marylandarglington, I guess the difference between us is I don't really care what Maryland fans' national reputation is. I don't know why you do. We have rowdy fans, while Duke has nerdy fans. I'm cool with that.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

There was no racial slur yelled at Allen. If there had been, the MD kid would have gotten beaten soundly by fellow students. And Greenberg is a whiner and a hypocrite. He should check out his own fans chanting "USA" at Vasquez or "Teabag Poulus" against Duke. Grow a sack and stop crying so much.

Posted by: mtwelch41 | January 19, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

More MD bashing. The WP worships the ground VT chokes on.

Posted by: laud001 | January 19, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I <3 <3 <3 when local talent comes back to Comcast to play agaisnt MD they get peppered with disrespect! Should have played for Gary Delaney!

Posted by: cmclaxton | January 19, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight. VPI has a basketball team?

Posted by: kieran2001 | January 19, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

The racial slurs accusation was laughable nonsense. Wouldn't whatever he imagined also be a mortal insult to the majority of Maryland's roster, and if it were loud enough for him to hear it, wouldn't people around the phantom offender (many of the same race as Allen) have heard it, too?

As a sidenote I fail to see how Blacksburg, Va. draws such hometown attention from the D.C. Metropolitan area's newspaper.

Posted by: scrappledog | January 19, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you are free to not care about Maryland's national reputation, but I guarantee you Gary Williams and a lot of other people do care. It's your prerogative, but I don't want to the rest of America to think that the University of Maryland is full of dumb, vulgar chumps because I know that's not the case. Maryland is not an easy school to get into these days but I bet there are a lot of people who think it is based on this reputation.

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 19, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

If you want validation of he fact that UMD fans can talk trash, just look at the comments here.

I personally will enjoy watching UMD get beaten tomorrow night.

Luckily, it's not a big enough game for them to burn stuff, even if they win.

And I say this being a UMD fan, except when they play Va Tech.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 19, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight. VPI has a basketball team?

Posted by: kieran2001

=================================

Yes. It's the team that's going to beat UMD tomorrow night.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 19, 2011 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Not a chance the Terps are losing, by the way. Not a chance.

Posted by: scrappledog | January 19, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey Marylandarlington, any more preaching from your pedestal? As for fans, give me a break. You saw the Duke fans list of personal attributes to taunt. They created the hateful, individualized chanting and yet they are still applauded by all sources of media for the atmosphere they create. It has definitely grown out of control and detrimental. To say Md fans are the worst is crap. It's everywhere. Once again the WaPo can't wait to take a dig at Md. I just don't understand.

Posted by: TerpsfanstuckinNC | January 19, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

TerpsfanstuckinNC, nice try but you clearly didn't read anything I said. I said that Maryland fans are not the worst and never have been. I said that that's the reputation based on a few incidents a long time ago, for whatever reason, and that Duke has a sterling reputation even though they are awful. I'm not even sure what you're talking about. At least when I critcize someone's post, I take the time to read it first and get the gist of what they're saying.

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 19, 2011 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight. VPI has a basketball team?

Posted by: kieran2001

=================================

Yes. It's the team that's going to beat UMD tomorrow night.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 19, 2011 5:23 PM

_______

Well crafted, postfan1, well crafted. Have you thought about writing monologues for late night shows?

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 19, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Man...there's some pretty harsh judgements being made here.

UMD has a great passionate fan base. I hope VT comes to play.

Also- to the person who called Cassell Coliseum a s***box...I'll have to disagree. It may date back to the 1960s but it's a pretty stadium, it's perfectly sized and when packed it provides one of the best home court advantages in the ACC (unfortunately the players don't always rise to the occasion). Even Vasquez pointed this out: "Vasquez said Duke, North Carolina and Virginia Tech have student sections that support their teams regardless of performance."

Any terp fan should be able to relate coming from Cole Field House.

Posted by: MyOpinionIs | January 19, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marylandarlington | January 19, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Hah! It's painfully obvious that you don't know Gary Williams.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Blame Yow for banning the band from playing that Gary Glitter song where the crowd yells "you suck" and now they play some other song and the kids yell "F Duke!"

Bring back the GG "History of rock and roll part 2" song!

I see how they forgot to mention when Maryland played at UVA and the fan base heckled Juan Dixon by saying he had a crackhead mother. What did Dixon do? Did he whine about it to some Post reported (or "blogger")? No, he went out and lit them up and left with a victory. Quit your blubbering Delansy and play ball.

Posted by: DaveLopan | January 19, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Lets Go...Hokies!!!! Malcolm and Jeff are going to dogg the sorry turltes on thursday night. I like how Willyr65s says we need to concentrate on winning a championship in something when we r reigning cahmps in football and have won the ACC title 4 times since we joined the ACC. How many times has Maryland won since we have been in the ACC oh wait none!

Posted by: TRoman21 | January 19, 2011 7:01 PM | Report abuse

VT is an athletic factory. It has absolutely NO academic reputation whatsoever. It does lead all colleges in one category: the number of mug shots taken of its athletes.

Posted by: laud001 | January 19, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping someone actually throws poop on Malcolm as he comes out of the tunnel at Comcast.

That'll show that d0uchebag what UMD fans are all about.

Plus we all know that VT's fans are nothing more than inbred hicks who have sex with relatives in order to keep the population in bum-fcuk relatively high.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 19, 2011 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Delaney's mom has a racoon-infested va-jay-jay.

Seriously, its full of racoons that are similar to the comedic ones in "The Great Outdoors."

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 19, 2011 7:16 PM | Report abuse

TRoman21: never thought I'd say this, but you're an idiot! Leave it to a Hokie Yokie to try to explain the lack of basketball prowess at Blacksburg by bragging about their football achievements. But since you brought it up, let's take a look at your record. Sure, you won a number of ACC titles in football. But that's like bragging about how many scratch-off games you won from the Virginia Lottery... not worth a whole lot. I was laughing the entire Orange Bowl when Stanford exposed your team for the sham that it was. I was yelling, "You see? That's what a real BCS contender looks like, you dopes!" Try talking to us when you've actually beaten a team that's not from Tobacco Row.

But I digress... I know how MD fans are obnoxious. I know because I was one of them. That's life in the ACC, pal. The idea that you don't like us, Malcolm, only makes us that much more obnoxious. Delaney will hear it all game, and he has only himself to blame. Enjoy watching the tourney from your TV, Malcolm, cause that's the closest you'll get.

Posted by: ecglotfelty | January 19, 2011 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Bump, ecglotfelty. We once rode Les Robinson so hard about coming to the sideline in a rumpled sweater that he came out after halftime wearing a blazer, a new shirt, and a tie.

Mexican futbol fans huck batteries and bags of pee. NOW who's a bad bunch of fans?

Terps fans are awesome. GO TERPS!!!

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | January 19, 2011 7:41 PM | Report abuse

"It seems that Giannotto likes to rile things up with his column."
-->I went to middle school with him. Don't think he's trying to sensationalize this. Compared to MD, VTech fans are weak(in basketball).

Posted by: break20 | January 19, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, in an effort to keep improving Poopy-Barno relations, I thought you might enjoy this:

Posted by: Barno1 | January 19, 2011 8:34 PM | Report abuse

The behavior of UMD students at games is an embarrassment to the team, the school, the State.

The kids at the school now were in elementary school when Gary won it all, they weren't even born yet when Bias was playing, and they wouldn't know Keith Gatling from Keith Sweat. All they know is that UMD students get to be morons during bball games. Their chants aren't clever or funny, they just try to be as obnoxious as possible, because they have decided it somehow helps the team (so they can then bask in the deflected glory of a victory they did nothing to actually earn). It's pathetic.

But that don't mean I don't love me some Terps basketball.

Posted by: CommieX | January 19, 2011 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Why does the Post pretend VT sports is part of the DC area? It's not. Take these lame VT reports somewhere where people actual care what one of the players says.

Posted by: DaveLopan | January 19, 2011 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd say the comments here, taken as a whole, pretty much make Delaney's point.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 19, 2011 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I find random cursing less insulting then pointed insults that have been directed at Maryland players like yelling “Orphan” at Juan Dixon or signs that say “Deport Vasquez”.

Here is an excerpt from CBSSports recap of last year’s UMD-VT game titled “Terps’ Vasquez overcomes taunting during unique day in Blacksburg”:

Vasquez's every move was taunted by the loud and boisterous Hokies student section and for the early part of the first half, every moment the ball was in his hand, a chorus of boos rained down. However, if this level of hate affects Vasquez in any way, it may only be to spur him on to greatness. As the taunts got louder, Vasquez's game got better, and his final stat line of a career-high 41 points, seven rebounds and six assists showcases why he should be the obvious choice for ACC Player of the Year.

From the Testudo Times on 2/28/10:

One closing note: the VT student section is kind of embarrassing. They were loud, though not defeaning, but they were amazingly unoriginal. Booing Vasquez is overdone; "Sweat Gary Sweat" was Duke's; saying "Sucks" after a player's name is Maryland's deal; "USA" was Florida State's and still untasteful; and "Left Right Left Right" is done everywhere. Seriously guys?

Seems VT fans don’t have a halo hanging over their heads and I doubt many other college fan bases do either for that matter.

Posted by: TerpAlum | January 19, 2011 10:57 PM | Report abuse

From a Terp fan, are we the worst ever? Probably not. We could be in the running though. The students act is tired especially the hey you chant. It is also disrespectful to the USA to chant 'Oh' during the national anthem. Spare me the tradition talk. I personally find that disgusting. At the end of the day good fans have a winning program. We are mid major/ mediocre in Bball and will stay that way as long as GW is coaching so yes our fans are not good

Posted by: Browe1 | January 20, 2011 5:27 AM | Report abuse

Tech fans are just as obnoxious as Terps fans. They just do it in a smaller arena and the TV audio picks it up because there is no deafening roar to drown it out like there is in Comcast. Tech BB players would kill for the passionate fans that Terps have and the arena to go with it. They just do not have it and they lose some of the homecourt advantages Terps have grown accustomed to. You never hear chants on TV from Comcast because the crowd noise is so loud. Delaney if you went to Maryland you would not have to be a complaining crybaby. And Allen go see a therapist to deal with your issues. Terps are not at fault for your problems. You can just live with your regrets.

Posted by: torope | January 20, 2011 8:06 AM | Report abuse

There's a decent chance that UMD drops this one.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 20, 2011 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Browe1 | January 20, 2011 5:27 AM
-------------------

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

No one cares what you think is/isn't disrespectful or disgusting. Luckily we live in the USA where freedom of speech still exists, no thanks to the commi-style thinking you enjoy.

Go back to Russia pal.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 20, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope some VT fans show up at the Comcast center tonight.

Should be quite the show.

Posted by: Benson | January 20, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Now Greenberg has 2 reasons he can use when the NCAA passes him by again this year:
1. "I don't understand the selection committee's rules." (That excuse was used last year you'll recall and I don't believe anyone has sat down with ole Seth to explain the fine points of scheduling competition.)

2. "That MD game was key and we lost because the fans there said mean things to us. It scared my boy, Malcome especially. I know how sensitive my boy is.""

Posted by: JEGman | January 20, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Browe, you don't win friends with salad. Nor fresh cold gazpacho.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

In your face. All of you.

Posted by: LAHokie22 | January 20, 2011 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Where's all that Terps trash talking now? Remember this gem?

"Not a chance the Terps are losing, by the way. Not a chance.

Posted by: scrappledog | January 19, 2011 5:31 PM"

Posted by: joe_hill | January 20, 2011 11:04 PM | Report abuse