On Twitter: HokiesJournal and PostSports  |  Facebook  |  E-mail alerts: Redskins and Sports  |  RSS
Posted at 11:10 AM ET, 01/20/2011

Virginia Tech-Maryland: Malcolm Delaney could shine in homecoming

By Mark Giannotto

After pronouncing that Maryland "might have the worst fans ever," during the build-up to Virginia Tech's matchup with the Terrapins, senior Malcolm Delaney won't have many fans when he returns to Comcast Center on Thursday night. But he will have one of his best friends on the other team.

Delaney and Maryland guard Sean Mosley grew up together in Baltimore and have played basketball with each other since they were 13 years old. The two have talked frequently this season, and to keep track of his buddy, Delaney has made it a point to watch a few Maryland games on television this year.

On Thursday night, though, their friendship will be put on the back-burner temporarily.

"When we get on the court, I’m not friends with anybody, even my best friends," Delaney said. "I hate everybody the same when I get on the court. When we get off the court, we’ll shake hands and hug or whatever we’re gonna do. But while we’re playing, I really don’t look at anybody as my friend like that."

This game, though, could serve as another showcase for Delaney's offensive talents, at the expense of Mosley and company. Delaney has added some more tension to what was already a pivotal matchup for both teams, and it would seem he has the opportunity to make his latest homecoming a memorable one.

Though the Terrapins are the best defensive team in the country right now in terms of defensive efficiency and have veterans like Mosley and senior Adrian Bowie in the backcourt, Maryland also relies on freshmen Terrell Stoglin and Pe'Shon Howard to log significant minutes.

Recently, Delaney has feasted on youthful backcourts. He exploded for 28 points last week against North Carolina going against freshman Kendall Marshall for much of the night, and then followed it up with a nine-assist performance against Wake Forest's inexperienced guards. Not to mention the last time Maryland and Virginia Tech met -- in a 104-100 double-overtime thriller that the Terps won in Blacksburg a year ago -- Delaney went off for 27 points.

"When we first got here, everybody looked at us as ‘these freshman,’ so they just tried to attack us," Delaney said earlier this week. "Now it’s my turn and I get to look on the other side. There’s a lot of young guards that are good, but just like you can’t let a freshman take your spot, you can’t let a freshman outplay you on the other team either."

Delaney's scoring average has actually dropped from 20.2 a year ago to 18.6 this season, despite the string of injuries the Hokies have had to overcome. But he's been far more efficient with his shot selection. Delaney is currently on pace to set career highs in overall field goal percentage (44.4 percent) and three-point field goal percentage (43.3 percent)

Whether it's Mosley or Bowie or even one of Maryland's freshmen guarding Delaney, it will be interesting to see how he responds tonight. He has to overcome some demons from last year's game. He missed two costly free throws in double overtime. And Delaney will almost certainly catch some extra venom from the Maryland crowd due to his comments this week, but he's never been one to shy away from the spotlight.

"It’ll be good to play in front of a lot of my friends and family that don’t really get a chance to see me play," Delaney said. "But I’m not going into Maryland trying to just play my best game because it’s at Maryland. I’m trying to do whatever it is for my team to win."

By Mark Giannotto  | January 20, 2011; 11:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Virginia Tech focuses on stopping Maryland's Jordan Williams
Next: Virginia Tech's resolve on full display vs. Maryland

Comments

Delaney is a poop-eating moron.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 20, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Marshall wasn't guarding Delaney during that game with the exception of a few switches including the final play where Marshall had a hand in Delaney's face.

Posted by: wsullivan1 | January 20, 2011 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Poopy McPoop is a poop head.

I hope Delaney bring his A-game, so that poopy can eat poop tomorrow.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 20, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Postfan1 is a poop eating poop head.

I hope Delaney and his moms spider-web infested hoo-hoo bring their F game so postfan1 can sleep with his cousin to help get him to sleep after Tech gets blown out.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 20, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Maryland has the worst fans ever? Why!

A. Maryland fans don't like native sons turning in Benedict Arnolds?

B. Maryland fans boo "OVERRATED CLOWNS WHO THINK THEY SHOULD BE PLAYER OF THE YEAR WHEN IN REALITY THEY ARE CHOKING DOGS"? {apologies for any reference to Mike Vick the great hero of VT atheletics}

C. Maryland fans do not like the thug culture that is VT?

D. All of the above?

Correct answer D!

Have fun tonight Delaney win or lose. Please make your home in Blacksburg after you "graduate"???

Posted by: fatlabriley2 | January 20, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

P00PY_MCP00P, you are quite possibly the worst sports fan of all time. None of your retorts have been related to anything that happens on the court, and even worse, they aren't clever in the least. It's just mean-spirited uncalled for trash-talk. Frankly I'm not convinced you've ever seen either of these teams play.

I can only pray that you aren't a Skins, Wizards or Caps fan. I'd hate to have the reputation of those teams soiled in any way because of your uneducated, un-witty, low-brow comments.

Posted by: LAHokie22 | January 20, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Poopy is being pretty clever with the poop references and as a Vtech grad, one would think you guys are used to getting "dumped" on.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 20, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Poopy has poop for brains.

Posted by: Benson | January 20, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping one day soon someone sneaks into Delaney's place of residence and leaves him a nice, big, steaming "upper decker."

That'll shut him up.

Oh and LAhokie, I'm totally a Caps/Skins/Wizards fan. So suck on that one.

Oh and Benson, go eat some poop. Your tv show was stinkier than my poops.

Posted by: P00PY_MCP00P | January 20, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

WHY IS THERE A HOKIES JOURNAL????

That hick school is NOT even close to the Washington, DC Metropolitan area.

Posted by: DaveLopan | January 20, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

WHY DO YOU CARE????

It's not like the Post's coverage of the Hokies is taking away from their coverage of other sports. They can cover more than one University. If you're not interested in what's being discussed, don't read the posts and stay off the message boards.

Posted by: LAHokie22 | January 20, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

WHY IS THERE A HOKIES JOURNAL????

Posted by: DaveLopan

----------------------------

I've noticed that you've posted this question several times. I LIKE the fact that VT gets coverage in the Post.

I frequently read and comment on these articles.

So do you.