Breaking news: Beck speaks!

Glenn Beck gives few interviews -- he prefers to monopolize the microphone -- so it's worth looking at what he says when he actually talks to a reporter.

In the upcoming issue of the New York Times Magazine, Mark Leibovich profiles the Fox News megastar. Here are some highlights:

-- Beck talks about being a recovering addict and projects that onto America:

"I think what the country is going through right now is, in a way, what I went through with my alcoholism," he told me. "You can either live or die. You have a choice."

"I said to someone the other day," Beck told me, "I am as close today to a complete and total collapse as I was on the first day of recovery." He calls himself a "recovering dirtbag." There were many days, he said, when he would avoid the bathroom mirror so he would not have to face himself. He was in therapy with "Dr. Jack Daniels." He smoked marijuana every day for about 15 years. He fired an underling for bringing him the wrong pen. And, according to a Salon.com report, he once called the wife of a radio rival to ridicule her -- on the air -- about her recent miscarriage.

"You get to a place where you disgust yourself," Beck told me. "Where you realize what a weak, pathetic and despicable person you have become."

In short, he trashes himself, as a way of illuminating the path to redemption.

-- Beck, like Bill Clinton, tried to save his mother from physical abuse:

I asked Beck if he could pinpoint the moment he decided to change his life. "Here's something I haven't told anyone before," Beck said. "When my mother was at her worst, she was dating a guy who was abusive. He was a big Navy guy too." It was right at the end of her life. Glenn got between his mother and the man during an ugly fight. "I just came in and stood between them and said, 'Get out of our house.'

The man left, but he came back a few days later and begged forgiveness. "When I sobered up, I remember looking back to that point," Beck told me.

I asked Beck how he knew that his mother's death was a suicide. The man who drowned with her was that same abusive boyfriend, he said.

-- Has he peaked? His ratings are down. From 2.8 million last year to 2 million now.

-- Beck is not the most popular guy at Fox. Leibovich credits my reporting on the subject of how many staffers are concerned that he is becoming the face of the network:

When I mentioned Beck's name to several Fox reporters, personalities and staff members, it reliably elicited either a sigh or an eye roll. Several Fox News journalists have complained that Beck's antics are embarrassing Fox, that his inflammatory rhetoric makes it difficult for the network to present itself as a legitimate news outlet.

-- I also reported on how Fox executives believe they made Beck into the phenomenon he is today. Leibovich has this nugget:

In the days following Beck's Lincoln Memorial rally, which by Beck's estimate drew a half-million people, Ailes told associates that if Beck were still at Headline News, there would have been 30 people on the Mall.

-- Beck is plagued by self-doubt:

A lot of Beck's critics would be happy to answer that question.

By Howard Kurtz  | September 29, 2010; 11:51 AM ET
Categories:  Latest stories, Radio, Television, Top story  | Tags:  Fox, Glenn Beck, Mark Leibovich, New York Times, Roger Ailes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: One-click Wednesday roundup
Next: Levi gets Palin-like grilling

Comments

Mentally unstable people can be interesting to watch but they shouldn't be taken seriously.

Posted by: mg11231 | September 29, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Beck is still a weak, pathetic, and despicable human being - but unfortunately he has been given a national platform by Fox News for his disgusting rants. Maybe the country has gone through a binge and needs to clean itself up, but Beck thinks the only path to redemption is the one he lays out. He is half right - he is not a "recovering dirtbag? - just a dirtbag.

Posted by: newrussianguy | September 29, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Beck is still a weak, pathetic, and despicable human being - but unfortunately he has been given a national platform by Fox News for his disgusting rants. Maybe the country has gone through a binge and needs to clean itself up, but Beck thinks the only path to redemption is the one he lays out. He is half right - he is not a "recovering dirtbag" - just a dirtbag.

Posted by: newrussianguy | September 29, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

If he was my son I would drown myself too.

Posted by: devilsadvoc8 | September 29, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

As a recovering alcoholic myself, I've learned to be careful to seperate actions taken as a result of being a drinker from those that were true personality flaws - (In no small measure, that is at the heart of a successful recovery from substance abuse)

That being said; you really don't get to blame the fact that you're a flaming rectum on booze - you might as well just continue drinking...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 29, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"Recovering?"

Posted by: iowegian | September 29, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey, he sounds like a liberal, blaming all his problems on his family and not taking responsibility for his own actions. At least that is what a Conservative would say if Beck were not Beck.
But, Beck is Beck and this liberal is not sorry one bit for him. My own personal life was far worse than his and I took responsibility and have had a wonderful life. Beck, please don't cry!

Posted by: beachbum1938 | September 29, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I've been expecting a showdown between Beck and Fox for some time now.

And although Beck does do this, he is also using the podium to promote himself and occasionally a cause or position that has not be pre-approved by the Republican Party - a gross no no for a Fox employee.

I suspect we'll see Beck reigned in soon. He'll be faced with a choice between kicking his listeners in the teeth or losing his public position.

It will be fun to watch how he stabs his listeners in the back while keeping them in the Fox News audience.

Posted by: Miss_Fedelm | September 29, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Howie,

Silent on Marty Peretz for more than a week.

Silent on James O'Keefe getting nabbed by CNN. Fresh, hot story - at your weekend employer, Howie - and you're mum again.

Seems when the Neoconservative or Conservative gets caught in a scam of their own making, Howie types NOT A SINGLE WORD.

Posted by: MarkinJC | September 29, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

What a disgusting man. Hiding behind hate, religion, morality and obvious lies to furhter his financial goals. How could a woman wake up to him every day knwing what de does for a living.

Posted by: cadam72 | September 29, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

It's always entertaining to watch how irrational liberals get when Beck comes up.

Frothing at the mouth mad is unbecoming lol. Most people have to resort to attacking Beck himself as well which is entertaining.

"He lies he lies he lies" yet you don't see contradictory facts other than a dubious list copied and pasted from a leftist rag like the Huffington Post.

Posted by: Cryos | September 29, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Whatever his intention Mr. Leibovich presents a very favorable view of Glenn Beck.

Posted by: ravitchn | September 29, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I'ld think and say bad things about Beck, but I was always taught to be sensitive to those with medical disabilities. Is it okay to disagree with him if he is a recovering whateverolic?

Posted by: blasmaic | September 29, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Why don't you just link to the article if you're just going to cut and paste, Howie. What's up with that?

Posted by: aevans11 | September 29, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abijhan1 | September 29, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abijhan1
-----------
You know what, I find your statement about progressives who name call and ridicule in attempt to distract the audience on the real issues pretty much humorous because while it is true but that does not speak for the others who use facts to point out the flaws in the argument. It is better known as critical reasoning. I see more of that with the Conservatives because they have the tendency to parrot what FOX and the blogger says majority of the time.
Right now your argument is conjecture.

Posted by: beeker25 | September 29, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Beeker25 can you name some facts that have been raised by progressives to dispute Glen Beck? BTW I don't parrot anyone. I read and I research. And I critically think just like you. Only I don't go around thinking I'm smarter or better than everybody else. I am a libertarian in case you're trying to decide what political camp I follow. Government needs to get out of our lives and now. I have the mental faculities to decide what is right for me.

Posted by: abijhan1 | September 29, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Trouble with the staff?

No problem!

All Beck needs to do is Restore His Honor with the staff!

Presto! Done!

Posted by: kishorgala | September 29, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Fox does a great job of embarrassing itself, with or without Beck. It's reporters are shallow and sound as if they are reading from a script written by Karl Rove. They only reason they would roll their eyes is because they want to be the face of the network instead of that Buffoon.

Why is it everyone on the hard right was an addict or turns out to be a closet homosexual?

Posted by: hacksaw | September 29, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

beck is a dangerously unstable lunatic, however it's those who take him seriously whose mental stability must be examined.

Posted by: letemhaveit | September 29, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The before and after Beck don't sound very different. Wonder if he really did all 12 steps?

Posted by: seaduck2001 | September 29, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

It's not for nothing that Keith Olberman refers to him as "Lonesome Rhodes Beck."

Posted by: cllr | September 29, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

In a more sane media culture and political environment a cable commentator http://mediamatters.org/research/200908070020

who calls for the poisoning death of the Speaker of the House would be suspended or fired by their network as well as have a friendly visit called upon him by the FBI and Secret Service.

Intrepid author/blogger Dave Neiwert correctly refers to Beck and his rabble as “Eliminationists” http://www.amazon.com/Eliminationists-Hate-Radicalized-American-Right/dp/0981576982 basically a lunatic fringe of people who refuse to engage in debate and seek to have the other side removed from society or killed.

You figure in a country with a history of political assassinations, both attempted and real this stuff would not go unnoticed especially when the speaker of the house comes from a city where in 1978 the mayor and supervisor were assassinated by crazed fellow supervisor Dan White, a guy with views not far removed from Mr. Beck. Though in today’s culture if Mr. White were alive he would be an honored guest on Beck’s show yucking it up while sharing a Twinkie.

Posted by: MerrillFrank | September 29, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cllr
_________________________________________

Olberman is nothing more than the simpleton at the other end of the spectrum. Restore Sanity.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | September 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I like Eugene Robinson and this paper, but the coverage and editorial of Glen Beck's little shindig on mall was trash. I watch Glen Beck from time to time (and I watch a lot of Fox News lately) and I haven't seen any indication that Beck is, like, racist. Bob Herbert and Charles Blow of The New York Times (who both are black too) seem to smear what I think Beck's intended message seem to be about in their Op-Ed pieces. And it just wasn't them-the left-wing media in general tried to make it look like a racist rally as well.

Posted by: robert_curley_jacobs | September 29, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

For once I agree with Beck, with one minor correction: He's a dirtbag alright, just not a recovering one.

Posted by: fitche | September 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I believe that most teabagnazis are self loathing homosexuals.

Posted by: letemhaveit | September 29, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

a "recovering dirtbag."?

HA!

Posted by: areyousaying | September 29, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"...Beck's antics are embarrassing Fox,"?

Fox is embarrassing to itself.

Posted by: areyousaying | September 29, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeap. A 'dirtbag' he is.

Which makes those who followed him to the Lincoln Memorial, what?, the lowest form of animal life: no central nervous system, feeding off the crap in the dirtbag.

Posted by: coqui44 | September 29, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Any real recovering alcoholic knows that Beck is on what is known as a dry drunk.

He may not be drinking, but he is not sober.

Sober, look it up, Beck.

Posted by: edismae | September 29, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

It is a common human failing to credit one's self for what is truly the promotion by others. Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly... all virtual creations of News Corporation, without which, they would be speaking to radio audiences driving tractors and combines somewhere in fly-over country.

Fox may be in the midst of an across the board legitimacy crisis, which hopefully will dial back their nonsense.

Posted by: OldUncleTom | September 29, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how his followers feel knowing that their leader is psycho?

Posted by: thor2 | September 29, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

the guy is a total nut he makes his faux news bud billy O' look normal! matter of fact glennboi sometimes reminds me of herman goering only he is not as fat and hasnt killed any gays or jews yet.(i think)

Posted by: willemkraal | September 29, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cryos | September 29, 2010 1:09 PM

It's only natural... We've been taught to put down those rabid dogs.

Posted by: truthbeknown | September 29, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"Several Fox News journalists have complained that Beck's antics are embarrassing Fox, that his inflammatory rhetoric makes it difficult for the network to present itself as a legitimate news outlet."

Now that's funny.

Posted by: TUCK117 | September 29, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

You people are the most hate-filled bitter human beings I have ever encountered, in person or print.
It must really suck to have your lives.

Posted by: MrMeaner | September 29, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"Beck was given the microphone to fool the rubes into voting against their own best interests. And for no other reason."

The rubes did that last election...

...this election, we non-rubes are hoping to head off the disaster you rubes caused.

Posted by: deadmanwalking | September 29, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I feel dirty and dumber for reading first the vapid article and now this post thread.

Posted by: tbrown5 | September 29, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by abijhan1: I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to dispute what Glen Beck is saying. He's offered a private number to the WH to do just that. The phone has never rung. You may not like the way Glen Beck does his show, but I daresay you cannot dispute the facts. Progressives way of dealing with unfavorable information is to name call and ridicule in an attempt to distract the audience on the real issues. Americans, main stream ones, are sick of the crap this elected royalty is dishing on us. The silent majority has found its voice.

===============

You should check out a few key episodes of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" if you want a course of Beck's misinformation and hypocrisy. Just one example: He referred to the "socialist agenda" of Obama, slamming government, and then went on to say that he learned everything he knows from the library.

As for your claim that Progressives name-call and ridicule to distract from issues, I'll let you have that perception -- but are you saying Conservatives don't do the same thing? Really?

And for the record, since you revealed your libertarian leanings, I am never registered with any party independent who's voted Democrat, Republican, Reform, Green, and Libertarian. Every party contains good and bad, smart and idiotic, selfish and selfless members. Anyone who thinks his/her party is above political shame and has all the answers is either deluded or deceptive or both.

Posted by: Andrew53 | September 29, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Let's look at it another way ... Beck pulls 2.0 million people in a show that shows at 5:00 PM (not PRIME TIME) on the east coast, 2:00 PM on the West Coast ... he has the third rated TV program on TV, just barely behind Hannity... who is at 2.105 million.

Has his ratings gone down slightly? (2.8 to 2.0 million) Yes, mainly because he has called for 40 days and 40 nights of 'Christian like' behaviors and self evaluation ... which many who are not Christian, nor have any background in morals or ethics understand or 'truly' support that. Beck is a Opinionist (and freely admits that), based upon 'facts' who is calling for a Character re-assessment of America ~ those are hard facts to 'belly up to' quickly.

Loss of sponsors? Well, with a concerted effort by the progressive/left/Marxists/ unionist who are ideologs, thugs and mercenaries trying to intimidate sponsors out of sponsoring him, he is 'still' there? I would say that fact alone shows he has ‘sticking’ power, and the noisy left isn't as strong as they think they are. "We surround them," not the other way around.

Never mind that every book he writes, or every book he references has hit within the top ten NYT best seller list … and the majority have sky-rocketed to No. 1 … his average here is better than Harpo productions Ophra Winfrey … and he can call out ¾ million people much like Martin Luther King, on short notice for a non-political rally ... just think what would have happened if he had called out those against the current government and their lackeys in Congress???

And you think Alies or anyone else at FOX is shooting at Beck? Doubtful, but go ahead believe your own tripe ~ tell the lie often enough, the liar (Big Media Press) begins to believe their own lies ... Where has the journalists gone?

Posted by: MiguelSaavedra | September 29, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

"I wrote Sarah Palin a letter last night about 2 in the morning," Beck said on his radio show in September. "And I said: 'Sarah, I don't know if I'm doing more harm or more good. I don't know anymore.' " Glenn trust me when I say that you are doing infinitely more harm than good. This is sad, but I firmly believe that most of us would have liked you better as a drunk. At least you could not have harmed as many people as you have in sobriety. However, it is quite humorous that FOX believes that you are harming their reputation as a serious news organization. That reputation was destroyed long before you arrived there.

Posted by: makeitwright | September 29, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abijhan1
----
Perhaps you could be so kind as to list 10 "facts" Beck has put forth that are not in dispute.

"The facts are the president is surrounded by communists and Marxists." Glenn Beck 9-29-2010

That is a fact-free statement unless he can name names and support that with documentation.

Posted by: boscobobb | September 29, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Beck is one of the most unstable pieces in the "chess" set at Fox Noise. He views his past as the key to our future. We weren't alcoholics, he was. If he feels worn out now and like he did when he started his alcohol treatment therapy, maybe he should look at a film of himself. He gets intoxicated on being Glenn Beck and it is hard to come down when you are your own propellant. And the ultimate act was to give an interview to a Noise reporter. That took guts, on the part of the real reporter.

Posted by: ronjeske | September 29, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Beck is Great and honest. Yes the truth hurts, so many people rather put their heads in the
socialist sand and sell out the America
vaules for a ideology that has brought many
Nations to finanical ruin.

Posted by: akeegan2 | September 29, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for Beck, he's mentally and emotionally off balanced...any person with any common sense can see that clearly...Fox should be extremely embarrassed. But they are making money so they fore-go any honor or TRUTH...

Posted by: lindarc | September 29, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

The reason that Fox is embarrassed is that anyone with any common sense knows that Beck is a freak show. His silly weeping, slapping himself around, etc. shows him to be mentally unstable, and them giving him a stage, gives them a bad name. However, they continue to do so, because there are still two million viewers out there, many whom take him seriously (just look at some of these posts!). And he still tows the knee-jerk (mostly jerk) line of Faux News - Democrats evil, Republicans good. They should all be happy with him - next to Beck, the rest of them almost seem intellegent and sane.

Posted by: garoth | September 29, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Kurtz, I am positive that neither you nor Leibovich -- being leaders of the left-wing writing group have a lot of good friends at Fox who open up to you just because you ask.

Hogwash. Neither of you have any close friends at Fox. Both of you want to bash Fox, the leader in political reporting, and both of you are jealous of the growing number of Fox viewers and advertisers.

You left-wing hacks ought to try to get paid for your Obama-loving writings; go to work for Obama for two years (I wouldn't count on more than that).

Both of your newspapers are losing circulation and advertisers. Keep your resumes up to date. Your pubs may wind up like your fellow left-wing pub, Newsweek -- getting sold for one dollar; that's right,$1.00. That's what it was worth.

Ta, ta boys.

Posted by: RonKH | September 29, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cryos

==========================================

It's fascinating. I bet if Democrats and liberals gave a small fraction of the passionate hatred they have towards Beck and Fox News and applied it to our real enemies abroad, the war in Afghanistan would have been over a long time ago.

Posted by: bbface21 | September 29, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Beck is just trying to excuse being what he is to being a drunk. People who are a-holes are whether they are drunk or sober, they just can't cover it up when they're drunk. Drunks really are more honest.

Posted by: ElectricBill | September 29, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

My old Momma use to tell me, "the world is full of coo-coos". Howard Kurz proves the point. The nutty Libs who spend their time on these threads making up lies or calling names at anyone who shows them facts that they don't like expands the point prodigously.

Posted by: mrdocuman | September 29, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Wierd aticle and wierd posts. Both Beck and Fox are laughing all the way to the bank as both the man and the network's popularity and bottom line are perpendicular. And, the citizens of the U.S.S.A. (who are the winners when Beck exposes the left) are rushing to the polls in an attempt to save the country. Definition: Win win for everybody.

Posted by: IQ168 | September 29, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Beck is certainly a man with a troubled past, but he does not carry on with racist banter and dangerous rhetoric as his critics claim to discredit him.

What comes as no surprise is that the media critic Kurtz, who is to media journalism what People Magazine is to the writing of serious biographies, is that he chooses Beck, while leaving alone the loopy Ed Shultz and the mouth-foamers Lawrence O'Donnell and keith Olberman.

Posted by: buggerianpaisley1 | September 29, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

IQ168 wrote:
Popularity and bottom line are "perpendicular."

The popularity is 90 degrees out of phase with the bottom line?

Huh? Don't you mean parallel?

On one point we can agree, Beck and FauxNoise are laughing all the way to the bank.

Posted by: boscobobb | September 29, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Beck has a right, of course, to pursue any
line of work he wishes but that doesn't mean that whatever he chooses is a good choice for him. After all his revelations, as to his personality and character flaws, he continues to be that same guy, on Fox. Admitting ones faults isn't therapeutic. Changing ones MO for the better, after admitting one's faults, is!

Posted by: roanns | September 29, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that his mother 's death was NOT a sucide, but merely a drowning. The fact that she drownded with an abusive lover is something Beck finds impossible to accept. As some one who claims to be a Christian and also claims to be a recovering alcoholic, seems like he sure missed the messages on forgiveness! He truly is a dirtbag.

Posted by: 2Funny | September 29, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Dear Glenn, like me you're doing youself a lot of good, and you're doing the country a lot of harm. Love, Sarah

Posted by: dhenken1 | September 29, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

He may consider himself to be in recovery, but one of the sacred principles of AA is anonymity, meaning you don't discuss the program publicly, particularly if you are a celebrity, because it makes you sound like a pitchman and there are numerous times when alcoholics have slips and a self appointed spokesperson, who does announce his sobriety, while perfectly acceptable within it, can damage its ability to attract people, who need to get sober.

Posted by: Koko3 | September 29, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

It was a fairly decent article, not a hit piece. Kurtz tries to pick out something controversial, but it wasn't that kind of profile.

Posted by: JBaustian | September 29, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

"A lot of Beck's critics would be happy to answer that question."

So would a lot of Beck's followers.

The article was just another hit piece by the liberal press attempting to put down their opposition. Typical of the journolist breed.

Beck is an opinionator/commentator who does not do news. Reporters are supposed to report facts without opinions. The two should not mix but those like Dan Rather tried to combine the two. Dan Rather got burned.

Posted by: gfafblifr | September 29, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

I have never seen such venomous, vindictive, hate-filled, loathsome, grotesque comments as I have seen in the comments responding to this column. Some of you need to do some serious soul searching. Really. And then try to move on with your lives. Let go of the hate. It only serves to reveal your insecurities.

Posted by: bemused9 | September 29, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

for all who bashes GLENN BECK,A man who loves GOD and country.I bet you have never seen his show!

Posted by: vivaliberty | September 29, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

After reading the Leibovich article, I wondered how it could be soooo long and inform sooo little. While having little interest in Beck's curriculum vitae, the biographical histories of Obama and his radical associates unearthed by Beck should be required reading by every voter before November 2. Those concentrating on Beck's delivery or religious leanings are missing the
undeniable facts confirming Obama's
anti- business, anti-American, Marxist agenda. Very few of the above comments show any indication that the writers have watched Beck regularly or read much of the stimulus, health care or financial reform bills. The radical agenda oozing from every page of legislation combined with the extreme regulations flowing from the executive agencies leave little doubt that Obama's ambition is to transfer control of the economy, health care, energy, manufacturing, housing, consumer credit, and communications from private
hands to government control. Those
who believe politicians and unaccountable bureaucrats are better qualified to control the means of production and resources of the country than allow the people and the states to maintain their Constitutional rights and freedoms should be thrilled with the direction Obama has taken. However, those of us who still relish individual rights and believe in meritocracy over socialized "equal results" are grateful for the in depth research and information that Beck has shared. Obama and Soros are greater threats to this country than al Qaeda. You
need only count the socialists/Marxists/Communists at the
Mall on Saturday to know where Obama stands. If unions and bureaucrats were qualified to control
the economy, they wouldn't be union
members or bureaucrats. Think about it!

Posted by: giatny | September 29, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey, that's show business.
Controversy sells.
What is dangerous is that some people
buy that sort of misguided rhetoric.

Posted by: ronrod17509 | September 29, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

No sober person could act like Glen Beck or say the things he says. At best, he is a @#$%@ idiot.

Posted by: golfer78015 | September 29, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS GLENN BECKS show the most DVR show in america.DVR because you know his show comes on while people are still working,So all the people saying bad things about him whatever!

Posted by: vivaliberty | September 29, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Same old hysterical Liberal comments here...short on facts, long on irrational emotion.
Obviously folks who get their views of Beck from the likes of Jon StewartShow..(as one commentator points out he does!!!)

Listen up folks Jon is a spoof on the news and uses clips to further his spoof!!!NOTE..He is on Comedy Central.....

Anyone can make anyone else look 'off balance' when they only use clips from a show...One must learn to watch the context of the whole segment ...not clips out of context.

The vileness of some of the comments here make me believe there area LOT of unbalanced Liberals who could use a shrink or at least a 12
Step Program...
At least Beck is honest about his failings and that he works on correcting them on a daily basis.

Posted by: ferrylas | September 29, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I love all the cute little snips about Beck by all the intellectual self proclaimed liberals out there. You are almost as smart as the so-called journalists who seem to write their opinions in the form of interviews written out of context (brilliant!!!!). Truth is, you all just hate to think someone doesn't agree with you or your master Obama-baby that socialism (look it up, you will be amazed) is the door to "social justice" as all "Progressives" think. Unfortunately, history is on Beck's side, leaving you no other recourse but to attack him with insults. The truth is, as you will apparently have to learn the hard way, he is not the foolish one. No wonder this newspaper is going out of business - can you say "federal bailout"!!!

Posted by: kiowa2 | September 29, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Beck is like a lot of republicans -- a professional victim, always blaming others (eg, "liberal media," "gay agenda," blahblahblah), for their own personal failings. If he and the other republicans would learn the meaning of personal accountability and responsibility.... Yes, I know. I'm dreaming again.

Posted by: truthman3 | September 29, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Beck isn't really my cup of tea.
HOwever, I wonder if he might deign to mention that today the Senate began a process to remove the incentive for so-called 'American' companies to outsource and ship jobs overseas, and the process was killed, as usual, by the bought-and-paid for
anti-American traitors in the Senate.

Not that killing jobs and bending over to kiss the elite traitors who have done this
harm to Americans would interest anybody who
is at all concerned with Beck. The country burns, get out your fiddles and diddle, you useless fools...

Posted by: tigre1 | September 29, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Compost is exactly that. The facts are the facts and this Newspaper ( I say that jokingly ) is just like the NY Slimes. These Papers are dying and that is sad because they don't report the truth anymore. That's why Fox News is killing all of them. The people who like to put down a fellow human just do it because they have such a pathetic life and are extremely jealous of Beck's success. At least he can admitt he was a dirtbag and has turned his life around. He has exposed the Obama administration and the Bush administration for the destruction of our Constitution. A nation that is willing to give up their LIBERTY for so called government security deserves neither! Wake up my fellow Americans and take your Country back from the Marxist that is the White House . Don't be a Serf!!!!

Posted by: Courtesy1999 | September 30, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Courtesy1999 | September 30, 2010 2:49 AM | Report abuse

The man who gives this platform to Beck to abuse the American public is Murdoch, a new immigrant from Australia. He doesn't give a jot about America or her inhabitants as a "Here today, gone tomorrow opportunist" laughing all the way to his bank.

Posted by: shaik1 | September 30, 2010 3:48 AM | Report abuse

Glen Beck Recovering from one abuse to take up the addiction of Money and power which there is no cure for. His new addiction is Adoration, and his next gathering he will walk on water and Raise the dead, he's already raised the stupid

Posted by: Leo10 | September 30, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

What glenn Beck does to the reputaton of Fox news is terrible! I do not want to know about his past, he does not affect my life in any way! I do not call him a christian. Christians such as myself, dont lie to people and do not promote racism!
Fox Tv has done nothing but turn into a gossip(Tabloid Station) if you will. I want to know the truth when I tune into a news staton. I get that with MSNBC! I like the facts backed up with proof. I thought that all good Anchors always told the news(truthfully). I feel guilty as an American when I tune into Fox News Station, and only watch about 30 seconds just to see what lies they are telling the American people to scare them. Believ me, it only takes 30 seconds! Fox News would do well to change management or something. Get rid of Glenn Beck! He, in my book is a very mixed up man. Tell the truth when you report! We get it Fox TV......we know your a republican station so the truth hurts! When I watch MSNBC I know they tell the truth and I know I am hearing the truth. They do not hesitate to call out a Democrat if something needs reported on. Thats called news! Lots of people online are calling for a boycott of Fox Tv and I myself would gladly like to see the tabloid station go! Too many young people are being lied to, and they are confused about what really goes on in this country. It is the responsibility of any good news station to report the truth and not distort it, like Fox TV does!
Melissa, Dayton Ohio

Posted by: missy_ley | September 30, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of Beck or his antics, nor do I watch him, but from all appearances it seems he's trying hard to be honest with himself. I may not care for his style or substance, but so what? Since he is within his right to express his opinions, I fail to understand all the intense hatred directed towards him by people who disagree with his views. I vehemently disagree with most of the liberal point of view but I don't hate liberals. Some are even my friends. I do have occasional twinges of pity for them, though.

Posted by: Lilycat11 | September 30, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

We concentrate on becks Deliveries and religous learnings because that is what he always talks about. I do not care about that crap! I want the news. I dont want Glenn Becks biography every night! He actually makes me sick to my stomach! All you people that support him, we realize he distorts the truth and has you under his tabloid type reporting spell. Too bad for all of you, that you cannot see past this man for what he really is! Go to MSNBC and you will get the news. And if this newspaper is going out of business, its too bad. People deserve the truth not a distortion of the truth. By the way.....no one will bail out this news station......the republicans only vote on bailing out their friends on wall street. They vote no on anything that is for the good of the people! The unemployed are well aware of how the republican party does not give a crap if their children are hungry or if they have lost everything because of the republican party of Georgie and Dick (no pun intended). Go ahead, blame it all on this president though, because that is what Fox Tv is all about. Have the republicans ever heard of taking responsiblity for their own actons? I doubt it! And so do all the unemployed. We will be out to vote, you can bet on it! They vote no......we vote no!

Posted by: missy_ley | September 30, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

BECK is brilliant, witty, downright funny, and devastating to anyone he wants to skewer...which is why liberals try, and I mean try, to bash him. Once Jon Stewart's fans stop taking their ADD/ADHD meds, his 'wit' turns into stupidity.

Posted by: Common_Cents1 | September 30, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck claims to be a "recovering dirtbag." Sorry, I don't see any recovery. He is still a dirtbag who encourages ignorance, racism, and distorted history.

Posted by: ianmac37 | September 30, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Always refreshing to see what comes out when Glenn Beck or Fox is the subject of a piece. What is it with liberal progressives that so enrages them that they must attack anyone or anything who rises to the top of their respective class?? Could it be that these individuals like Beck were once in the gutter without hope and then made themselves a huge success without government assistance and thus destroy the myth that government must help or is it just plain penis envy??

Posted by: Brian54 | September 30, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Love Beachbum1938 response---- Viewership for Beck down from 2.8 to 2mil wonder how much It would drop if SP and him spoke to real issues with solutions rather than high school pep rally cheers.

Posted by: gogohall | September 30, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I am continually amazed by the venomous response of liberals to factual criticism of "their" policies. I know of NOT ONE liberal program that is either fiscally solvent, yet these progressives never lose their enthusiasm of clammering for MORE! The cumulative failures of EVERY liberal program, subsequently accelerated by the Obama administration is responsible for our disastrous fiscal/economic condition today. God bless Glenn Beck for his courage in speaking out against the perils of socialism/liberal programs and the "stealth" radicalism of the Obama administration.

Posted by: joefrat1 | September 30, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Fox should buy out Beck's contract. Fox has become a legitimate news outlet with some very good news people - Shepard Smith, Bret Baier, Carl Cameron and others. Yes there are the opinion people who are popular - Hannity, O'Reilly and unfortunately Beck who will ruin the network if he remains with them. Critics identify Beck as Fox and Fox as Beck and it is not true. Get rid of this guy if you want to be known as a legitimate news organization.

Posted by: Kansas28 | September 30, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I never cease to be amazed by the hate, anger and vitriol exhibited by liberal/progressives when someone says something they disagree with. They trumpet free speech for themselves but aren't about to allow someone else to speak freely. What hypocrites! No intellectual integrity at all. Such narrowminded unthinking people who are the first to cry discrimination are the first to discriminate. Does that make any sense to you??

Posted by: mjrpayne | September 30, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Beck meant this as history, but it would be an appropriate comment on current events.

Posted by: Iconoblaster | September 30, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I think it is pretty clear from the blogs on this WP site that most of you have very seldom watched his show, if ever. While I don't agree with him a lot of the time, I am particularly interested when he names names, times and places to prove his facts. I am also impressed by the fact that, while many despise him, no one has come forward to contest those allegations. If he is so wrong, where are the corrections?

Posted by: depoulins | September 30, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Dreck is a mangler of words and ideas, a heavy user of logical fallacies and scare tactics. I find it hard to believe that anyone who didn't drop out of high school can stand to see the effects of his flimsy connections between his personal objects of personal loathing (basically anything that gets in the way of an absolute plutocracy.

But who needs fact checking and logic when one can connect the UAW to the Khmer Rouge?

Posted by: brower8 | October 1, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

It's nice to see Glenn Becks candor and honesty come through as usual. It's so pointless to listen to liberals and their democratic allies spin their web of tall tales to fit their agenda at that particular moment in time.

Posted by: Jack83 | October 1, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Hitler Beck is right. He is still a dry drunk and the negative wounds and garbage in his soul that caused and continues to cause his alcoholism is still influencing his every thought, word, and behavior. This is not a good person. This is a broken, shame based individual with all his demons intact, projecting onto minorities, women, and other groups. Glen Hitler Beck is disgusting as is Sarah Bin Palin. They both have the same primitive narcissistic psychological profile.

Posted by: vintel7 | October 2, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Instead of cutting and pasteing every negative comment or statement made by Mr. Beck, give a link to the actual article and let people read it for themselves. I'm SO TIRED of the negativity of this newspaper... oh, wait, it's a LIBERAL paper, silly!! Just once I'd like to see a negative OBAMA article posted here... NO WAY!!! But that's okay, because sooner than later, you'll have plenty....!

Posted by: RestoreAmerica1 | October 2, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

typical elitists' posts. you cannot argue the facts that Mr. Beck presents so you attack the man. Nice hit piece Howie.

Posted by: lyle2 | October 2, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck has identified at least 30 Communists, Marxists or anarchists who are close associates or relatives of Barack Obama, by using their own words or writing.

How many Communists, Marxists or anarchists do you have among your associates or relatives ? ?

'Nuf said.

Thank you Glenn for doing the investigative work CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS should have been doing. When will these outlets stop being cheerleaders for the "Progressives" in Washington D.C.?

Posted by: bot1 | October 2, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

You may agree or disagree with Glenn Beck, but you can't argue with facts and history.

Don't be lazy. Do your homework, and you will understand where our country is being taken.

I support the "Tea Party" movement. These are frustrated citizens who believe in America, and the Constitution. In America you are owed equal opportunity, not guaranteed outcome.

I attended the 8/28 "Restoring Honor" rally, and found myself surrounded by like minded people.

There are many who want something for nothing, and they want it now.

Caterpillar built a new plant in China. The last "light bulb" plant closed in Virginia. Unemployment benefits were extended.

The government takes over industries, and gets bigger. Congress writes bills that are thousands of pages long, and vote on them without reading them.

Do you think this scenario is good for the future of America? Is redistribution of wealth what you want? Do you want to be like Europe?

Wake up!