Brian Wilson gone from Fox
Updated 7:00 pm
Veteran Fox News correspondent Brian Wilson is leaving the network -- and the breakup isn't pretty.
The former Washington bureau chief is a familiar face in D.C., but he hasn't been on the air in six weeks and there are clearly some hard feelings.
Unlike Major Garrett, the White House correspondent who quit to join the National Journal, Wilson doesn't appear to have another job lined up. Nor is his contract believed to be up.
Wilson cast the move as voluntary, telling colleagues in an e-mail, "After 25 years with the company, I have decided it's time to move on." He recalled starting out with the local Fox station here, WTTG, and winding up joining "a grand journalistic experiment under the direction of the visionary Roger Ailes -- it has been a blast."
Fox insiders say Wilson has had temper issues. In one story involving guns, they say, Wilson was furious after a producer removed the sound of gunfire from his taped piece, even going so far as to knock over file cabinets.
A friend of Wilson says the parting was amicable and that the correspondent has other opportunities on the horizon. The friend says the gun-story incident is overblown, that there was a passionate disagreement but no tipping of file cabinets.
Whatever the internal difficulties, Wilson has enjoyed a solid reputation over the years as a fair-minded journalist.
September 15, 2010; 7:00 PM ET
Categories: Latest stories | Tags: Brian Wilson, Fox News, Roger Ailes
Save & Share: Previous: '60 Minutes' goes into overtime
Next: Dem wars: Lanny whacks Rachel
Posted by: hugh671 | September 15, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: cristanti | September 15, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: StewartIII | September 16, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: rbaldwin2 | September 16, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Runeer1987 | September 16, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: OldUncleTom | September 16, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse