Special Classifieds Feature

Buy Washington Post Inauguration newspapers, books, and more

Battle of the Bands?

Marching bands of historically black colleges and universities have long been known for their rivalries. Forget about which football team is better. Sometimes, it's all about the bands. There have been major motion pictures made about the phenomenon.

Now, the Presidential Inaugural Committtee appears as though it's trying to get something started. On the invite list for the Jan. 20 parade: The marching bands from Howard University, Delaware State University, Florida A&M University, Grambling State University and Hampton University. Who do you think will put on the best show? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

By Nikita Stewart

By David A Nakamura  |  December 9, 2008; 12:01 PM ET  | Category:  Parade
Previous: Faces in the Crowd | Next: Alternative Transportation: Bike to the Inaugural!

Add Inauguration Watch to Your Site
Stay on top of the latest from Inauguration Watch! This easy-to-use widget is simple to add to your own Web site and will update every time there's a new installment of Inauguration Watch.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

I think it is going to be battle of the innagural bands

I can't wait !!

Posted by: zaria25 | December 9, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

No band can match the Marching 100! FAMU all the way!!!

Posted by: HalimaBlue | December 9, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I want to see Grambling, FL A&M, and Southern --as they are the best!!!!!. Guess they need a local one -so Howard should be included. I know most of the HBCU's are financally strapped, thus I hope that there will be financial coverage of the trip by resources other than the schools themselves.

Posted by: claytondollie | December 9, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Knowing how tight security will be for the parade...all the performance will have to be in the street... FAMU danced the last two times and will probably become the crowd's favorite.

Posted by: PowerandPride | December 10, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

What about the SC State Marching 101? They are one of the largest HBCU bandss and far better than everyone you mentioned in your article, with the exception of FAMU. The NC A&T Aggie Band would also be a great choice!

Posted by: foxrussell | December 11, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey,

What about Central State University from Xenia, OH? A HBCU that is small but fierce. Ohio is one of the battle ground states where students worked hard to get Obama elected.

I will have a ticket to the inauguration, but I hope that I can get to the parade route in time afterwards. I can't wait to see the young people from the HBCUs and the black high school bands get down. I live in Cali, and we don't have any HBCU bands. So, I try to travel to one of the battles or games with my family whenever I can. If you have never seen a HBCU battle, you are in for a real treat.

Posted by: Tressie1 | December 12, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse