Special Classifieds Feature

Buy Washington Post Inauguration newspapers, books, and more

D.C. to Obama: Use "Taxation Without Representation" License Plates

So many decisions for a president-elect. Who to pick for the Cabinet? Where to send your kids to school? And now ... what license plates to use on the presidential limo?

If the D.C. Council has any say, Barack Obama will be using the special D.C. "Taxation Without Representation" plates, which call attention to the city's lack of voting rights in Congress.

The 13 council members sent Obama's camp a letter today urging him to use the plates. From the letter:

As you ride down Pennsylvania Avenue, during the Inaugural parade after being sworn in as the 44th President of the United States on January 20, 2009, displaying the license plates would send a clear message to the entire nation and the world about your support for this issue and remedying this injustice

Early in his campaign, Obama told Mayor Adrian M. Fenty that he supported voting rights for the city. Under a bill that was blocked by the Senate after being passed by the House, the District, which is overwhelmingly Democratic, would get a House seat and an additional seat would be awarded to predominantly Republican Utah for political balance.

As WTOP reporter Mark Segraves has noted, Bill Clinton used the tags as president, but George W. Bush removed them.

By David A Nakamura  |  December 2, 2008; 3:54 PM ET  | Category:  Parade , Transportation
Previous: More on Landlord Liability for Inauguration Rentals | Next: D.C. Bars, Nightclubs to Be Open 24-hours A Day for Inauguration Week

Add Inauguration Watch to Your Site
Stay on top of the latest from Inauguration Watch! This easy-to-use widget is simple to add to your own Web site and will update every time there's a new installment of Inauguration Watch.
Get This Widget >>


I don't care what license plate the Obama puts on the presidential limo. I do care that he not advocate and sign into law an unconstitutional measure to give DC residents a representative in the House. Change the Constitution. Otherwise, move to a state if having a representative in the House is such an overwhelming concern.

Posted by: ltl01 | December 2, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company