Special Classifieds Feature

Buy Washington Post Inauguration newspapers, books, and more

'Oprah' Taping Tickets All Gone in 105 Minutes

It may go down as one of the hottest tickets of the entire inauguration season.

Tickets to Oprah Winfrey's D.C. television taping, scheduled for Monday, Jan. 19, in the Kennedy Center's 2,300-seat Opera House, were available online today -- and were gone before you could say "O." (A usual taping of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" has just 300 seats to offer the public.)

They were available online starting at 11 a.m. Central time, according to a Harpo Productions spokeswoman. Some 5,000 requests later, they were listed as unavailable at 12:45 p.m. Now the Oprah web site reads:

We are no longer accepting reservation requests for the taping in Washington, D.C.

No further tickets will be available, the spokeswoman said.

So will there be a secondary market for show tickets? Time will tell. The show's web site also reads:

Do not pay anyone money for Oprah Show reservations or tickets.

But given the Congressional attention paid to the sale of inauguration tickets, anything seems possible. We'll be watching Craigslist and eBay; in the meantime, if you hear or see anything -- or know anyone who got tickets today -- please e-mail us and let us know.

This post has been updated with additional information.

By Washington Post Editors  |  December 8, 2008; 3:08 PM ET  | Category:  Celebrities , Media
Previous: Sources: 10 Official Inaugural Balls and 45 Unofficial Ones | Next: The Sleuth: 35,000 Want to Volunteer Jan. 20

Add Inauguration Watch to Your Site
Stay on top of the latest from Inauguration Watch! This easy-to-use widget is simple to add to your own Web site and will update every time there's a new installment of Inauguration Watch.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

How can they be gone already? I checked this morning and they said please check back. It hasn't even been 5 hours and it's the first day!

Posted by: dmv301 | December 8, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Who got the tickets? I don't believe she ever posted that they were available? I'd love to know how she handed them out. DC people are left at the short end of the stick yet again.

Posted by: MVTer | December 8, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

For those commenter's with questions... reservation "requests" were available on her site starting around 12:03 PM today, and by no means did they discriminate against DC residents. No one was promised a ticket. And, I'm not surprised at all that they are gone. It's Oprah, people... this is obviously a must have ticket!

Posted by: ajanders | December 8, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

They were available on her site. I checked around 12pm EST and it said check back later. I hit refresh around 12:15pm and there was a click-thru link for tickets. You had to fill out a form and write why you felt it was important for you to be in the audience.

At the time I completed the form it did not say anywhere what day they were doing the show yet you had to fill in the date you were requesting tickets. I took a guess it was January 19th. Within 1/2 hour they had updated the page to say that it was taking place on January 19th. I have no idea how many tickets they are giving out but the request was for you and a guest (you had to give the name). You got a message following submiting the form that you were not guaranteed tickets. If you were going to receive tickets you would hear from a member of the Oprah Show staff. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted by: putitaway | December 8, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

I too checked this site like mad, along with my friends, for the past several days. At least every hour. And i did get a chance to make a request yesterday. I hope i hear back that i got a ticket!!

Posted by: wendykroy1 | December 9, 2008 6:07 AM | Report abuse

I made a request too. I think I was about 30min in to when it got posted, so I hope that I get tickets.

Posted by: zaria25 | December 9, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I too watched from 6:30 a.m. until the request box became available. I also refreshed my screen and was able to submit a request. It was not open long at all. As the other persons observed, it did not give specifics about when the tickets would be given, just that if you were one of the persons chosen to receive them you would be contacted.

It would be nice though, if they would not procrastinate as those that would be traveling from other states could get prepared.

If anyone should hear of ticket disbursment, please share.

Posted by: seafrost40 | December 9, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I think that most, if not all the people that submitted wll get tickets. remember it is 2300 seats in the kennedy center. then they have to account for 'no shows'.

I say they give out slightly more tickets and then you need to get there earlier than the time to actually get in.

Posted by: zaria25 | December 9, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Hoping to hear back as well!

Posted by: jrlove | December 10, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse