Amtrak Still Has Open Seats on Inauguration Day
Live along the Northeast corridor and still looking for a way into Washington on Inauguration Day? Amtrak said today that it has a limited number of seats available during peak periods Jan. 20. For schedules, fares and information, passengers may call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com. The trains will run to Washington's Union Station, which is within walking distance of the Mall and Pennsylvania Avenue.
Read travel tips from Amtrak after the jump.
Travel Tips from Amtrak
Due to the large crowds expected, access to Washington Union Station will be limited to Amtrak, MARC and VRE passengers in the afternoon. Because of extraordinary security measures associated with inaugural events the food court and most retail shops in Union Station will be closed early afternoon of Jan. 20. Amtrak is offering its customers the following travel tips:
· Arrive at the station no earlier than one hour prior to your train’s departure time.
· Don’t chance missing your train home on Jan. 20. Pick up your roundtrip tickets (your inbound and return tickets) before you board the train for Washington.
· Special pedestrian traffic patterns in and around Washington Union Station will be in effect. Follow the instructions of station personnel and law enforcement for exiting and entering the station.
· Access to the station in the afternoon will be limited to select points of entry, and much of the station will be closed to the general public. Follow special signage to reach boarding gates for MARC, VRE and Amtrak trains.
· Restroom facilities in the station are limited and will be extremely crowded, so consider using the restroom before detraining and before returning to the station for your return trip. Portable facilities will be available outside the station.
· The station’s food court and most retail shops will be closed early afternoon; however, food service will be available aboard inbound and outbound Amtrak trains.
· Amtrak cannot provide alternate transportation or accommodations in the event of a service disruption.
· Pack lightly, as no lockers or storage facilities will be available in the station. A list of items prohibited from the inaugural event sites and locations is available on the District of Columbia inaugural Web site.
David A Nakamura
January 8, 2009; 11:20 AM ET
Previous: Local Inaugural Celebrations Will Also Be Fundraisers | Next: Obama: Want an Inaugural Ticket? Donate Now!
Get This Widget >>
The comments to this entry are closed.