Special Classifieds Feature

Buy Washington Post Inauguration newspapers, books, and more

Del. Norton Distributes 600 "Surprise" Inaugural Tickets

Last week, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.), the District's closest thing to a real, live voting member in Congress (Norton can participate in subcommittees, but she cannot vote on the House floor), held a lottery to give out 198 tickets she had received to the inauguration. She announced that 10,000 names had been entered into the lottery of residents who had called her office requesting the coveted passes.

But today, Norton announced that -- surprise! -- she received an additional 600 tickets for standing-room areas within the security zone near the Capitol. Norton held a second lottery this morning to select the winners of the new 600 tickets and her office will contact the winners this afternoon.

Her benefactor? Norton wouldn't say. A press release announcing the extra tickets said: The "Congresswoman could not reveal the source of the tickets, but she was sure that residents would receive the additional tickets as a special anonymous gift to them and could appreciate them regardless of the source."

So who could it be? Let us know what you think in the comments.

By David A Nakamura  |  January 14, 2009; 1:12 PM ET  | Category:  Swearing-in Ceremony , Tickets
Previous: Tickets Hard to Come By for Kids' Concert | Next: Senate Passes Anti-Ticket Scalping Bill

Add Inauguration Watch to Your Site
Stay on top of the latest from Inauguration Watch! This easy-to-use widget is simple to add to your own Web site and will update every time there's a new installment of Inauguration Watch.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

It was Dick Cheney.

Posted by: PaulKirk | January 14, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

It is too bad she either stopped taking names or simply announced that she wasn't taking names. As small as my chances would have been, at least I would have had a chance! I'm trying to stay positive, but as a DC resident who is not connected, I'm feeling like there is no way to get tix to anything! I'm happy more DC folks get to go at least, just wish I had a shot too!

Posted by: mrl33 | January 14, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd bet that they are from delegates from some of our remote territories: Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and American Samoa.

Posted by: eph04 | January 14, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

My friends, I would have had plenty of tickets to the events on January 20, unfortunately I was not elected. But if you contact my office I will do what I can.

JM

Posted by: jmccain1 | January 14, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I do not think that it is far that the people in D.C. get extra tickets. The Post is informing them about everything first hand. They were the ones who got the parade tickets and cried about the post not informing them in time for the $150 ball tickets.More tickets should be given to the out of town people.The D.C. people are the ones selling the tickets.

Posted by: ladiedee100 | January 14, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I mean Fair

Posted by: ladiedee100 | January 14, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Ladiedee100:

Us D.C. residents are the ones that have to put up with street, bridge, and metro closures for days and even weeks ahead of the inauguration to be your hosts. We also have the pleasure of constant disruptions to daily life (think motorcades on city streets) for the security of the president and visiting dignitaries well into the future.

We certainly do deserve a few more inauguration tickets.

JF

Posted by: jessindc | January 14, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

well, logically it makes sense that if tickets were going to become available last second, they should go to people who are nearby since logistically they will have the easiest time putting them to use.

And, uh, you're just as welcome to read the post as anyone else.

I will send you some Washington cheese to go with your WHINE. Enjoy!

Posted by: loisopal | January 14, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone on here actually have extra tickets?

Posted by: Floydbeee | January 14, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse