Special Classifieds Feature

Buy Washington Post Inauguration newspapers, books, and more

Get Your Official Inaugural Ball Ticket Here (And Parade Tickets, Too)

We've been following the saga of how to order tickets to official Barack Obama inaugural balls, and now comes word that they are available on the Presidential Inaugural Committee Web site for a minimum donation of $500.

The tickets are for the seven regional balls at which Obama will appear on Jan. 20 (he'll also appear at three other balls):

West Ball- Washington Convention Center South Ball- DC Armory Midwest Ball- Washington Convention Center Northeast Ball- Union Station Mid Atlantic Ball- Washington Convention Center (This will include New York, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia.) Obama Home States Ball- Washington Convention Center Biden Home States Ball- Washnigton Convention Center

For $500 you will receive a ticket to your regional ball (based on your address); for $1,000 you will receive a ticket to a regional Ball that is one of the top three of your preferences; and for $2,500 you will receive a ticket to the VIP section of the regional ball of your choice.

We have heard reports that the ball tickets are supposed to cost $150 once they are released for sale to the general public so if you're not interested in paying that much, you might have another shot for less later on. But there's always the risk of getting shut out if you wait.

As for the parade, tickets go on sale to the general public today. As the Post reported today:

The Presidential Inaugural Committee announced that 5,000 tickets will go on sale through Ticketmaster at 1 p.m. Tickets are $25 apiece, and paradegoers can purchase up to four, said committee spokesman Kevin Griffis. He said those interested should call Ticketmaster at 202-397-7328.
The tickets entitle holders to sit in the bleacher seats along the parade route, which goes west on Pennsylvania Avenue from Capitol Hill, north on 15th Street, and west again on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House.

By David A Nakamura  |  January 9, 2009; 10:39 AM ET  | Category:  Presidential Inaugural Committee , The Balls
Previous: Faces in the Crowd: "Granny Gobama" | Next: Another Obama Anthem

Add Inauguration Watch to Your Site
Stay on top of the latest from Inauguration Watch! This easy-to-use widget is simple to add to your own Web site and will update every time there's a new installment of Inauguration Watch.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

What a disappointment. How many 'average' people can afford $500 for one ticket? So much for the inclusiveness of this inauguration. Not to mention that many of the lucky few who were emailed by the PIC to order tickets are already selling their tickets on Craigslist for ridiculous amounts of money. The PIC blew it on this one.

Posted by: kels78 | January 9, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

How to find out which states correspond to which balls? I live in NJ, which is probably "Northeast," but might be "Mid-Atlantic." Or maybe that's just wishful thinking, because I moved here from DC only last year, and I would really really want to go to the DC ball---the one where I'd have some hope of knowing someone.

Posted by: bug451 | January 9, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Any news on Youth Ball tickets?

Posted by: dorsia | January 9, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Can we get some Youth Ball and Neighborhood Ball updates?

Posted by: Princeton_Rambler | January 9, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I just tried to get a parade ticket and it said no tickets found.

Posted by: wendykroy1 | January 9, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

yeah and ticketmaster was sold out of parade tickets literally one minute after the on sale time.
ticketmaster is lousy-there's always the ones who get to the 'front of the line' when it comes to this stuff, then resell them on ticketmaster's ticketnow.com site for astronomical prices.

Posted by: kasalexis | January 9, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

No luck on the parade tickets.

Posted by: wp11234 | January 9, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I got on the ticketmaster site at 12:30...kept refreshing until 1pm...I had placed my order for 4 tickets and typed in the two secret words within 20 seconds...no luck...all sold out...what a joke.

Posted by: rparker543 | January 9, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Ten minutes after parade tix went on sale there were people selling them on craiglist for hundreds of dollars. It would have been nice for the PIC to figure out a way give people tickets who actually wanted to use them, and not try to make a buck. Sigh.

Posted by: kels78 | January 9, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Just look for the scalpers on the corner, right outside the perimeter...

Posted by: wp11234 | January 9, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

i was at my computer at 1 p.m., put in my request and nothing. did i type too slow? who got the tickets?

Posted by: DCJJ75 | January 9, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I was quite disappointed as well with the ticketmaster site for the parade tickets. I was on line at 100pm, submitted the proper information and within 30 seconds was told that there were no ticktes available. Who got the tickets?

Posted by: pamg | January 9, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

This inauguration is for the wealthy or people willing to get in credit card debt for it. Which I am not! I am waiting on information about the reasonably priced Neighborhood or Youth Balls. But if the parade ticket/Ticketmaster episode is any indication of their meaning of "inclusiveness" those tickets wont be available either.

Posted by: kamantha1 | January 9, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Whoever had plenty of luck getting a couple of the 240,000!!! tickets to the swearing-in, maybe you can justify a faint hope for scoring one of the (far, far, far fewer) Youth Ball tickets. For everyone else (including me), I'm afraid the odds really look terrible.

Posted by: nico_suave | January 10, 2009 5:14 AM | Report abuse

I was one of the lucky ones who got parade tickets. My husband and I was on three phones dailing all numbers, and I was on the internet, I had to keep calling back after getting through. I started calling about 12:25 getting through and being told to call back. I got ticket agent on the phone @12:59PM and on the internet at 1:00 and they had no tickets via internet and was only able to get 2 not 4. They are selling offical ball tickets but they cost $500 to $2500 not $150. I volunteered gave more money then I could afford,made thousands of phones calls; and a co worker whom did not vote and is not even going just sign up got a special email and a password to get swearing in tickets. I also work for a small city and the mayor a close personel friend said that those who recieved tickets from their Senator and Congress where mainly large donors and their staffs since they only got 198 tickets to give out, not for the small donors.
It is very expensive and a recession is upon the ecomony. I think that President Obama would want me to save my money instead of trying to go to a ball.

Posted by: easternstar25 | January 10, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I was looking forward to being able to attend something also. I got my email about parade tickets going on sale at 12:45 p.m Friday.By then all of the lines were tied up already.And my Senator gave tickets to her volunteers for the swearing-in, who are not going and is trying to sell them. I would love to attend a ball but can not afford the high price tickets.They really should make them cheaper. I also volunteered long hours and donated money to the campaign. I think it will be ashame for my husband and I to have spent all of this money coming there and I will not be able to get a glimps of the President. I will just keep praying that something will come our way.

Posted by: ladiedee100 | January 10, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I am really very upset about the fact that they are selling the ball tickets to the highest bidder by passing this off as a "donation." I volunteered for the campaign and gave as much money as I could but I can't afford $500 right now for the ball (or more to guarantee VIP seats)! And given what happened to the parade tickets on Ticketmaster, I just can't see general ball tickets (going for $150) to work out. This doesn't really seem like "changing Washington." This makes the ball events totally unavailable to the average citizen.

Posted by: sagarwal | January 10, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't think parade tickets should have been for sale! Who ever heard of selling tickets to a parade. Someone is NOT thinking this through! #1 - This country should be about CHANGE...right? #2 - Obama was voted in because his desire was to change things....right? #3 - Money should NEVER be the motivating factor for this campaign or for anything, for that matter...right? Check out my organization's website and don't get involved in all the madness: Babyboomerprofessionals.com We will offer $100 off any of our balls to anyone that has been involved in volunteering for this entire campaign! That's our way of saying thank you, we appreciate you!

Posted by: avirtuelady1 | January 11, 2009 5:59 AM | Report abuse

avirtuelady1, you're a dolt. Here's CHANGE for you: the number of bleachers tickets sold for this inauguration was about a quarter of the number sold for the Bush inauguration. Back in the bad old days, there were way more seats, BUT only Bush supporters and pals could buy them. So with fewer seats, available to anyone, there were better chances for regular citizens to get the bleachers seats, and more standing room on the parade route for regular citizens to squeeze in and be a part of the day.

Still think it's a big scam?

Thanks for posting your organizational affiliation though. My friend and I are still trying to figure out what events to go to; I'd seen the Baby Boomers listed and now I know for sure I can strike them off my list. I prefer to socialize with smart people.

Posted by: bug451 | January 11, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the $500 option is gone now! Can still get those $1,000 tickets, though! This deal just gets better and better...

Posted by: jzembik | January 12, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Yeah isnt that rich. Neighborhood balls, where others 'alike' can get together and share in this time of 'change'. Indeed. I am not sure about the rest of you, but despite me going to a decent college in MA, I have no connections in the 'industry' so to speak.

Kind of odd how the Youth Ball sold out, as they never really went on sale anywhere. People were sort of sent invitations, or kids involved in service projects or that wrote essays got priority seating. That is all well and good, and I applaud that, but the last thing I want to do is get stuck going to some Texas Boot Ball with a bunch of lame ducks or the like.

Also, pretty sad these lots getting tickets from their respective Senators and then reselling them to bank on this historic event. Cullions.

Bother. After the money I spent on my flight from Boston, my apartment rental I garnered three months ago on CL, and food, MetroPasses, logistics and the like, I have enough to eat in the airport in Dulles and in the Burger Kings that will of course find plenty of patrons, considering the amount of buses coming from cities and towns God forgot, from the Eastern Southern States.

Posted by: RadicalThinker | January 13, 2009 1:47 AM | Report abuse

****ATTENTION****
I am a member of the Virginia Democratic Party and just got an email from them that is legitimate. I created an account and was going to buy more tickets but can't afford to right now. Any way tickets were released to the public for $150 at ticket master in conjuction with PIC. You have to create a special account and you can then buy four tickets. The url is: https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/home.htmI?team=picball&=EN&out=1.

At the time of me posting this, 2 balls are available. I posted this on another Washington Post link and a blogger said he was able to get tickets. I hope this helps everyone out. Us average folks should be able to celebrate like the well connected. Let me know if you were able to get tickets through this.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 14, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse