Special Classifieds Feature

Buy Washington Post Inauguration newspapers, books, and more

A Harsh Reception for Bush

The Armed Forces Inaugural Committee holds a briefing President Barack Obama shakes hand with President George W. Bush as Vice President Dick Cheney looks on during the inauguration ceremony. (Getty)

Boos echoed throughout the crowd as President Bush, Vice President Cheney and several GOP congressmen were introduced before the swearing-in ceremony, although some in the crowd disagreed.

"I can't imagine how it must feel for him -- maybe we should be respectful," said a man from Iowa standing near the World War II Memorial.

Former Oklahoma state senator Maxine Horner (D-Tulsa) and others near her scolded those who booed. "He's still our president," one man said.

Horner, standing in her full length brown mink coat was excited to see new first lady Michelle Obama.

"She's very elegant. Very smart. We're very fortunate to have that family serving us. She's an inspiration."

-- Keith Alexander and Alejandro Lazo

By Christopher Dean Hopkins  |  January 20, 2009; 11:41 AM ET  | Category:  Swearing-in Ceremony
Previous: More Treated For Cold-Related Ailments | Next: American Music Ball Canceled

Add Inauguration Watch to Your Site
Stay on top of the latest from Inauguration Watch! This easy-to-use widget is simple to add to your own Web site and will update every time there's a new installment of Inauguration Watch.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

This is what happens when you let these uncivilized yokels into the city. They think that they are at a football game and can boo anyone.

Posted by: MKadyman | January 20, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

hey george.

click the heels of your cute little sparkley red shoes together three times and say..

"there's no place like home.."

"there's no place like home.."

"there's no place like home.."

and * POOF * you will be back in crawdad, texas!

Posted by: DriveByPoster | January 20, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

It is still America is it not?

They can boo

Posted by: rdy4all2000 | January 20, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Typical classless Democrats.

I promise to be more polite four years from today when Obama is the departing president.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | January 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Democrats boo Bush on Inauguration Day? There's a surprise. But maybe if you let Caroline Kennedy buy herself a Senate seat she can teach you all how to behave, right?

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | January 20, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Booed?

That's all? He got booed?

He's damn lucky that they didn't riot and string him up like they did Mussolini.

Posted by: Heerman532 | January 20, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I'd boo, if I damn well felt like it.

Posted by: ntlekt | January 20, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Quote from Obama:

"It's time to set aside childish things . . ."

Read and comprehend 1 and 5.

Posted by: island1 | January 20, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Small people with small minds.

It's funny how people don't get that these actions show more about the person showing disrespect than they show about the person being disrespected. It's kind of like when you boo your own team. It doesn't make any sense.

Quote from Obama:

"It's time to set aside childish things." I hope people can eventually get this.

Posted by: postfan1 | January 20, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ntlekt
"I'd boo, if I damn well felt like it."

That right is provided by the constitution, something that George Bush protected. In some countries (e.g. North Korea) such boos would result in you looking at the walls of a cell.

Posted by: ahashburn | January 20, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Rdy4all -- of course they have the right to boo. Whether it is the right thing to do is another thing entirely.

Respect for the office of President demands at least polite applause or, at worst, silence. The difference between that and deafening cheers would have made the point of dislike for the man, without appearing grossly boorish.

Posted by: JoeSchmoe06 | January 20, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

This article is just plain wrong. What was remarkable was the polite reception the former president received in front of a very Democratic audience. The boos were so few that they were not heard at all on television. The media shouldn't be inventing controversy without facts.

Posted by: lartfromabove | January 20, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Yay, I love the way these "peaceful, tolerant" people exemplify tolerance so well. It's awesome.

Posted by: meep81 | January 20, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Obviously what we have here, but not much of a surprise, is the lack of common courtesy and civility. I feel sorry for the Bush's and the Cheney's for the uncivil conduct of the few, for they do not represent the face of America.

We all said what we had to say at the ballot-box (and in some cases two or three times over, with a few felons, going into vote).

I believe that common courtesy is not too much to ask for. I didn't boo the Carter's or the Clinton's, make obscene gestures or engaged in name calling.

They are our elected officials and although I did not cast my ballot for Pres. Obama, he deserves the utmost respect and civility as our President. I think the same courtesy should be extended to Pres. Bush, Vice-President Cheney and their respective families.

God bless and save the President, the Vice-President of the United States and the country that he is elected to govern, be it a Republican or a Democrat.

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | January 20, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lizanne1 | January 20, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

God bless and save the President, the Vice-President of the United States and the country that they are elected to govern, be it a Republican or a Democrat.

Posted by: Computer_Forensics_Expert_Computer_Expert_Witness | January 20, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Heh. Looks like a lot of bitter Repubs posting here.

Posted by: njardine | January 20, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Bush is one lucky man that this time the people didn't throw shoes at him. I give credit to this polite group.

Posted by: moemir4 | January 20, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

those that booed will be surprised when they put their hand out and obama slaps it back at them...sacrafices must be made...

Posted by: DwightHCollins | January 20, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Fine - if you don't want the Republican president booed, maybe you all ought to start showing some civility instead of name-calling at your national conventions -

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | January 20, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Respect the office, not the people who dishonor it. The Bushies deserve worse than boos for getting away with murder and a federal pension.

Posted by: jhbyer | January 20, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"The Republicans will have a hard time living down the legacy of the Bush Administration.
Posted by: Lizanne1 | January 20, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse"

obama will, by keeping President Bush's policies, prove he was right...

Posted by: DwightHCollins | January 20, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Criticisism of public officals is not rude but torturing, illegal wiretapping, looting the government, looting the businesses, banks and there investors, and promissing to protect and defend the Constitution when your intent is to undermine it, that is rude. Good by Bushies hope we never see you again.

Posted by: Lizanne1 | January 20, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm booing a liar who endorse waterboarding.

Sounds about right don't ya think WashingtonDame.

The yokels are the folks here that think that the earth is flat and that humans and dinosaurs co-existed 6,000 years ago. Thank goodness one of these yokels is now out of office.

Posted by: bhuang2 | January 20, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I booed Bush, cheered when Biden was sworn in and hope I never see Bush or Cheney again unless someone like David Frost can expose their lies and cover ups like he did with the vile tricky dicky.

I have watched Ron Howard's superb film just hours before the inauguration and the film footage of slaughtered Cambodians could be the slaughtered bodies of Afghans, Iraqis, Palestinians and Lebanese, slaughtered with US bombs.

Three cheers for Obama and Michelle.

Good riddance to the war criminals.

Posted by: shepherdmarilyn | January 20, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Harsh? Hardly. If it were up to me I'd take cheney and his wheel chair and roll him in front of a bus! The SOB hurt his back not packing boxes but burning and shreeding documents. To those of you so offended that we dare not show the outgoing criminals more respect, I'll quote your beloved cheney...."Go Fu%k yourself".

Posted by: dem4life1 | January 20, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: usaII | January 20, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

We booed him on the way in, and we booed him on the way out. Reality on the ground suggests we were right in both instances. Get over it.

Posted by: hiberniantears | January 20, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Booed?

That's all? He got booed?

Posted by: Heerman53
*******************

Amen, brother!! I was in a room full of co-workers and Democrats, Republicans and Independents alike all agreed it was classless. But Heerman's point is extremely well-taken. Public officials need to understand that there is a country full of patriotic, hard-working, law abiding citizens who care whether they lead with the best interests of the country at heart. That jeering certainly reached the ears of President Obama and I hope he heard it and understood, in ways his predecessor clearly did not, that America expects its leaders to care and perform. I hope that booing reinforced in Obama's heart the resolve he demonstrated in his speech to lead this nation to a much higher, greater plane beyond where it has descended in the past eight years.

May God bless and protect the President and God bless this country.

Posted by: abqcleve | January 20, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he needs a harsh sendoff. Isn't he gone yet? What's taking so long. Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Posted by: FredZuber | January 20, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"Free at last, free at last. Thank God we're free at last." True on a number of levels. I understand that the Secret Service had to count the White House silverware after George and Laura "vacated the premises"!

Posted by: Bushwhacked1 | January 20, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

its funny to see all the comments posted by those still bitter of President Obama's victory. I would have booed Bush at the top of my lungs. He should be aware of the pain he caused so many. Call it childish glee that a new era has begun, so to all the negative comments and to Bush and Dick here ya go:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Posted by: ldeny99 | January 20, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I see GOP stooges getting their panties in a bunch over Americans exercising their right to free speech. Get used to it, GOPigs. The past 8 years of denying rights and corruption is over. Today is a new day and you've to get used to it. Bush is lucky he didn't get a shoe thrown at him or that he's not behind bars.

Posted by: August30 | January 20, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Silence would have been sufficient. I would not have booed, but neither could I have applauded.

It's over. It's just begun.

Posted by: essbird | January 20, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Yep, this is what you GOPigs get when you don't get to select who's in your crowds! REAL AMERICANS exercising FREEE SPEECH, that's right, YOU FAILED IN TAKING THAT AWAY!

GOOD RIDDANCE NEO CON GOPig SCUM!! You should be booed and spit upon at EVERY opportunity!

Posted by: Impeachbush99 | January 20, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

A feeling of satisfaction and comfort is setting in at my house. The neocons have just let go of power. I doubt boos directed at former President Bush would have any effect on him. He's been rightly criticized his entire life for one thing and another: a lively sex life in college, plenty of alcohol, police experiences, gentleman's C, failed oil bid-ness, sports team ownership, leading to ... it follows naturally: Governor of Texas! and President of the United States! What were "we" thinking?

Posted by: BlueTwo1 | January 20, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Statistics say 13% approval rating for the VP. Kind of a quiet hush as his exit to car with limited staff.

Posted by: max1mos111 | January 20, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

They must be VERY polite in D.C.! I want to throw defacation on Bush and Cheney personally.

Posted by: Impeachbush99 | January 20, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

The jeers and boos were well deserved. Bush has been an enemy of the people for his entire reign. He commands no respect. The people should react to him in any manner they choose.

Posted by: ButchDillon | January 20, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Typical classless Democrats.

==================
Given Bush's approval rating I have no doubt some of those were Republican boos.

Posted by: amercrutio100 | January 20, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

*******************************************

now that's funny!

Posted by: not-me | January 20, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

A federal estimate says around exactly 2 million people were present today. That's a lot of people!

Posted by: max1mos111 | January 20, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

The Patriot Act. Warrantless wiretapping. In a time of undeclared war he deliberately exposed a secret agent for personal political gain. He let an American city be washed off the map. Asleep at the switch over financial deregulation. And all Americans do is boo? We deserve anything and everything that happens to us. Even Hamilton would have pulled a Brutus were he alive.

Posted by: caribis | January 20, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

PBOnauts = No Class

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 20, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I would not stand or clap when I saw President Bush give a speech but I didn't vocalize my "disappointment" in his administration during those events. However, the Bush bubble and his handlers seem to have prevented him from seeing the anger and frustration of approximately 50% of the nation (now approx. 75%). Right or wrong, why wouldn't it make sense that the largely pro-Obama crowd make its feelings known? They have had only rare chances to do so. Ex-President Bush may need to get used to this behavior from people as he won't have the large staff and crowd control capabilities that he once had. Hopefully future presidents will realize that this is not the way to govern.

Posted by: mraymond10 | January 20, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

One is legally free to boo all of the "C" students at a graduation ceremony, but doing so would be graceless and discourteous to fellow spectators.

Posted by: gretel1 | January 20, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I call it Apathetic America. We Americans can have virtually ANYTHING done to us, and we get OUTRAGED, OUTRAGED...for like 10 minutes, then we watch American Idol and forget about it. We don't actually DO anything about it. We don't actually hold anyone accountable. Heck, is anybody really responsible for anything??? We'r not sure...

Posted by: Impeachbush99 | January 20, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it very telling that the left is clueless when it comes to respecting the office of the president? Isn't it interesting that the left are full of hatred? I make my money evaluating people and there are a few posts in this thread that are amazing. Full of hate. You know what these people actually hate? Themselves.

Posted by: MKadyman | January 20, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

At least Bush has demonstrated some class (along with his father and Reagan - unlike Clinton and Carter). Let's hope Obama demonstrates half as much.

Posted by: johnvg | January 20, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Well i think they have the right to boo. I remember the 01 inauguration when the DC police went undercover tried to infiltrate groups who wanted to protest Bush by turning their backs on them. Wasnt good enough for the police. They tried to get the protesters to get rowdy and when that didnt work they maced them. So much for the GOP respecting our rights...

Posted by: rharring | January 20, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Dubya says, "That's all folks!"

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 20, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

...no, I seriously hate Cheney and Bush, not myself, go back to analyzing yourself and others, I'm sure it aids your self righteousness.

These men were flat out dispicable and deserve every bit of booing and displeasure exhibited by FREE Americans with FREE speech to EXPRESS OUR BELIEFS!

Do you make your money prescribing pills that make people suicidal?

Posted by: Impeachbush99 | January 20, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I guess it's better to be booed than shoe'd.

Posted by: kjohnson3 | January 20, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Typical lowlife democrats. They are the most vile, hateful people I have ever met.

Posted by: tcdifla | January 20, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow! The whiny Republican Dodos are pissed because the worst pResident ever gets no respect.

They should be thankful he is still not in prison, yet.

I hope they at least enjoy their extinction.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 20, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Bush got what he deserved! BOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: t-one | January 20, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

What a remarkable picture.

After two terms, you have the face that you deserve.

Posted by: caraprado1 | January 20, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

As others have said, Bush and Cheney are lucky they didn't get worse. And as I recall, Carter got his share of incivility when Reagan was sworn in on 1/20/81.

Posted by: dewdrop2 | January 20, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Mkadyman writes:

"Isn't it interesting that the left are full of hatred?"

Yeah the right has really shown compassion. Cheney told Sen. Leahy F*** You on the senate floor, first time in history that happened. I guess you forget the tactics of Karl Rove. Oh and how about your compassion for gay people. You guys have no room to talk.

So answer this question, what reason do the people have not to boo Bush?

Posted by: rharring | January 20, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Mkady, with respect, if you are generalizing that all hatred comes from self-hatred, consider a new line of work, because that outlook could not be more wrong.

Posted by: gretel1 | January 20, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Took office with less than the majority. Swiftly created Department of Religious Affairs, though his own party claims to be "against more government", then created ANOTHER Department of Homeland Security (MORE government again) after swiftly signing a Patrioot Act that went against our very constitution....sent hundreds of thousands of our young people into harm's way on intelligence he already knew to be faulty and some of you are disappointed he was booed? Come one, folks- if I as a private citizen caused hundreds of thousands of people (mine and other country's) to be maimed or killed, and cost hundreds of thousands of my fellow countrymen and women to lose their jobs, their homes and their pension, and was only booed, I would be beyond thankful to have the secure shelter of a presidental helicopter, taxpayer provided- secret service, and no jail time or death penalty staring me in my face. He and his henchmen have created the worst economic and political climate this country has seen in my lifetime, given my children a lifetime of war so far, and he is one lucky man that we allow him to suffer only a few boos from people who may very well be suffering from either a loss of a job, a retirement, or heaven forbid, a loved one in Iraq or Afghanistan on his watch.
Good riddance, and welcome all to the POST BUSH era!!!!!!!

Posted by: mmaggior | January 20, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Let' em throw shoes

Posted by: alexandrawesleysmith | January 20, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

This man deserves so much worse than booing. How many people are dead because of his ego? And don't count only Americans! How many are missing arms, legs, eyes? All of them should have thrown their shoes. And to y'all apologists who think this man deserves respect because he's president, remember he STOLE the elections. He never should have lived in the White House. And his complete and abject FAILURE proves it.

Posted by: CrabbyAbbey1 | January 20, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

It does not matter weather it be bush or obama there will be those that will show disrespect for the man, but disrespect for the office should never be tolerated not even in this country with all of our rights, (some of which if the liberals have there way we are going to lose)."

Posted by: usaII

Thanks to liberals you have a right to a public education, which you apparently did not use. It's only Republicans and conservatives who want to limit people's rights, but expand the rights of businesses to run riot without regulation and the rights of polluters to contaminate the public well.

Posted by: edwcorey | January 20, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Bush is lucky he wasn't "frog marched" out long ago.

Posted by: robert26 | January 20, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

For such a selfish, greedy, murderous bunch, you Americans can be soooo sensitive about your criminal leaders.

May Obama hasten the downward spiral that the US is on so that you all eat yourselves and your children until the rest of the world no longer has to deal with you.

Posted by: dmls2000 | January 20, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The idiots only booed because President Bush would not give them their welfare check excuse me stimulus check.. The Messiah will take care of them... right!!!

Posted by: Theo7 | January 20, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: usaII

Posted by: edwcorey | January 20, 2009 1:47 PM
------------------------

Plus usaII, it was Dubya who disrespected the office of the presidency the most.

Dubya's disrespect for his office include:

Shredding of the Constitution

Treason and Domestic Terrorism by outing Valerie Plame

Lying to start an imperialist genocidal war OF terror to steal oil and U.S. tax dollars
Malfeasance that brought forth the Great Depression 2.0

Dubya gave no respect, so he deserves no respect. Although, he has earned a respectable sentence in prison!

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 20, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Shame on all those people who booed. But what do you expect from people who have no class. They should take a lesson from the Bush's & Chenney's. The class just left the White House. You can take the black from the slums but you can't take the slum from the black. Welcome Home President Bush back to Texas where people have Class, and are respectful of people.Welcome Home to Dallas we will greet you with open arms.

Posted by: jack241 | January 20, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

As a teacher of, and writer on, American history, my observation is that Bush's enablers need to understand that he will very likely go down as the worst president in our history. No competition. Grant, Harding, Buchanan, Coolidge, Hoover, etc. -- all of their failings were largely failings of omission and, in the longer term, did little lasting harm to the nation that couldn't be patched up by their successors. Whereas Bush's failings were failings of active and enthusiastic commission. His disastrous presidency, both at home (Katrina, the implosion of the economy, massive political polarization, exploiting 9/11 and Iraq, rising debt and deficits) and abroad (losing TWO overseas wars, allowing 9/11 to transpire while taking a lengthy and undeserved vacation, alienating the entire world) may take decades to recover from. Bush and his many enablers can rationalize all they want, but FACTS are FACTS, and they won't be able to escape the judgment of historical inquiry.

Posted by: osullivanc1 | January 20, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I would have been booing. I have been booing for 8 years! I do not disrespect the office of President, but only the man who held it.

I think it is far more disrespectful to the office to have stolen it, plundered it; to have plundered the good people of the USA, their tax dollars, and world reputation. Plundered, as well, the sons and daughters of a generation, over 1400 of whom have died and over 300,000 of whom are permanently disabled by injuries suffered in his fake war. And plundered the future generations' ability to start a life debt-free.

And that does not even take into consideration the torture of people (innocent or guilty); the deaths and injured among the Iraq population. I would have certainly been one to stand and loudly boo this heinous pair, Bush and Cheney.

Good riddance! They should depart in the shame with which they served this office and country!

Posted by: OneVoice5 | January 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tcdifla | January 20, 2009 1:23 PM |

Apparently you have never met a Republican.

Posted by: kevinschmidt | January 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Valerie Plame had been in another position with the agency for five years after being under cover which met the criteria as an " open employee of the agency " thus under the US Intelligence Act she was not outted. Just a clarification...

Posted by: Theo7 | January 20, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas....... the time has come to set aside childish things."

Well said Barack!

But some people will never understand.....

Posted by: Jahswim | January 20, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

jack241 writes:

"Welcome Home to Dallas we will greet you with open arms."

Speak for yourself, as a native Dallasite i am ashamed and the Faux Texan. I myself spent last night arranging my shoes for the chance encounter with Dubya...

Posted by: rharring | January 20, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

rharring,

thank you. please launch one for me

Posted by: dmls2000 | January 20, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

at your next Klan Rally I presume!

Posted by: t-one | January 20, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

From the AP:

A military judge adjourned the Guantanamo Bay war crimes court just before President Barack Obama was sworn in on Tuesday, leaving open the possibility that the hearings might not resume.

The judge, Army Col. Patrick Parrish, dismissed the court until Wednesday "unless otherwise ordered," a nod to the possibility that the Obama administration might suspend the military trials as it wrestles with how to proceed with its plan to close the prison that now holds about 245 men on suspicion of links to terrorism, al-Qaida and the Taliban.

Posted by: dmls2000 | January 20, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Bush disgraced the Office of the President with his incompetence.

Better boos than shoes, which is what most of America feels like hurling.

Posted by: freespeak | January 20, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it is still America, and yes...you have the right to boo. The question is do you always have to excercise your all of your rights? I think not. Much of life is about being respectful,decent and having some shame. Those people who booed also have the right to step out out in front of a moving truck but their common sense tells them different. Maybe someone should have told them...today, this forum, this occassion...not a good idea! Maybe President Obama will inspire some of those same people to re-think their behavior in the future.

Posted by: jarman213 | January 20, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Remember, too, that this cloistered, opaque White House has never put itself in front of anything but a hand-picked audience, so for many, this was probably their one and only chance to tell the man what they think of him.

Posted by: dmls2000 | January 20, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

More classless behavior from classless Democrats.

Did you see that group of blacks singing "Na na na na ... hey, hey, good-bye."

In the past few days, several black editorialists have written in the Post that Obama's election does not mean that racism is over, and now I see that they are right. Black racists are shoving it in Whitey's face and loving it. And the bigot Rev. Lowery stuck it to the Man too.

Whites thought that Obama's election would bring people together, but the opposite is happening.

Posted by: MrCleaveland | January 20, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.Respect for the office... classless. Gimme a break you freakin snobs, get over yourselves. George Bush sucked as president in so many ways and deserved to hear Americas voice, rather than the voices of his hand picked clan members at the Republican rallies.

He disgraced America, disgraced the office and it's refreshing to see him leave.

How do you Bankrupt every business yer daddy ever gave you and then Bankrupt a Nation.. unreal.

Obama will still be a stooge to big business and the ways of Washington DC.

Posted by: b_link1 | January 20, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Waterboarding is rude. Saying that Democrats "don't care about national security" is rude. Giving a trillion dollars of taxpayers' money to your friends and family is rude. Lying in order to start a war is rude. Helping your cronies profiteer in said war is rude. revealing the identity of a covert CIA agent is rude. Spying on Americans without a warrant is rude. Stealing two presidential elections is rude.

And so on.

After eight years of George Bush's typical Republican rudeness, Bush got a a few seconds of rudeness in return. You Republicans should really stop whining about other people's manners and work on your own.

Posted by: SethChandler | January 20, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

When I saw Bush preparing to come out into the crowd I felt a twinge of sympathy because I expected a bad reaction. I hate rudeness at any level.

... and yet when you bankrupt a nation, send its sons and daughters to war based on a lie and shame Americans by defying what is decent and promoting torture it is not so surprising that some would boo.

I hope we never have to go through anything like his administration again. I can live with a decent Republican or Democrat but I can't live with a self-deluded incompetent nitwit who nearly brings down our democracy. Having been an independent for years I can only hope that the Republican party rediscovers intellect and brains. When the day has dawned that I look back fondly on Nixon compared to the anti-intellectual bigoted drivel the party has been producing lately I know its gotten bad.

Good riddance Mr. Bush. I would have been polite and not booed but only because of the manners my Mama taught me.

Posted by: liv549 | January 20, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

to seths post
.....yyyyeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Posted by: b_link1 | January 20, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

As Chris Matthews said on MSNBC today, the booing was "bad form." Not the time or the place. No class. Not something Obama would have wanted to be sure.

Posted by: uncivil | January 20, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Respect is EARNED. What the Bush crew did to our country under that veneer of decorous rhetoric offered up by a dissembling host of John Yoos and Ari Fleischers and Alberto Gonzalezes only gained in cynical malice for being genteelly articulated.

At the core of all the Orwellian pretty words and obsessively stage-managed photo-ops was still the essential Cheney/Addington maxim: "F__k you! This is our due."

It's well past time we look beyond empty decorum and read the freaking _message_. The Boston Tea Party--objectively a criminal mob destroying private property--was a powerful statement of visceral American sentiment. The boos and shoes and cries of 'good riddance' that chased George W. Bush from the White House lawn are another. It's a moment of richly deserved ignominy they've had coming for 8 years.

You 25-percenters who profess to be shocked by the "disrespect"--take your hypocritical whine to someone who actually gives a crap, like David Broder. Though if you really insist on a fitting, dignified send-off for the Bush Administration, we'd be very happy to arrange speedy, public, and fair trials for the lot of them.

Posted by: youarestillidiots | January 20, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes, respect the office of the President, but not individuals who dishonor and disgrace it. Booing is a legal, relatively civil form of protest. These calls for civility and courtesy towards Bush and Cheney are absolutely absurd. I booed. I booed because I believed this public platform was an appropriate place to make a final expression of my disapproval of our outgoing executive. I booed because of the Patriot Act; because of the pitiful No Child Left Behind Act; because of the thousands of American lives and millions of Iraqi lives he is responsible for killing; because Bush has associated my country with torture, with waterboarding; because of the Alberto Gonzales joke and the blatant partisanship and politicization of our Justice Dept; because of the despicable Karl Rove; because of the neoconservative erosion and weakening of American power over the last 8 years; because of the ignorance that led to 9/11; because of the WMD fraud; because of "Mission Accomplished"; because of the national tragedy that was Hurricane Katrina; because of Guantanamo; because of the systematic erosion of our civil liberties; because of FISA violations and domestic wiretapping; because of Scooter Libby and the Valerie Plame scandal; because of Abu Ghraib; because of our current crater of an economy; because Bush took office in 2001 with a budget surplus and leaves office....with THIS; once again, because of the contrived DISASTER IN IRAQ; once again, HURRICANE KATRINA. Oh Yes, people booed. It's the very least we could do to W in what will surely be one of few remaining public appearances in his life. The man is a war criminal and a brash, bumbling embarrassment to this country. This is why we booed. It is why President Obama should uphold the rule-of-law and investigate the criminal malfeasance of the Bush/Cheney White House. Boooooo

Posted by: routh | January 20, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Classless Democrats???

Did you watch John McCain's concession speach? Were those classless Republicans booing everytime Obama's name was spoken?

"Typical classless Democrats.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | January 20, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse
"

Posted by: gnomeAware | January 20, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

"As Chris Matthews said on MSNBC today, the booing was "bad form." Not the time or the place. No class."

Posted by: uncivil | January 20, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

You're absolutely right. Not the time or place. We should all wait until he's dead and then piss on his grave. That would be much more fitting for the crimes he has committed.

Posted by: jweider007 | January 20, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

#54 - You must be kidding!!! Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilley, Coulter, and their ilk are long-running producers of venomous, mean-spirited, erroneous and (almost) laughably outrageous vile with the aim of personal $$$ gain. They have each taken great pains to make clear that they most certainly are NOT Democrats nor do they have any intention of working with everyone in a spirit of respect and commitment to the nation's - as opposed to the GOP's - "success". Hmmm....sadly, that kind of "success" has brought us to this point of having a seriously eroded moral authority globally, a collapsed national economic system, a citizenry beat up for so long by relentless fear mongering that was finally given vent in the breaking of the national psyche levee by the booing of an out-going president. The majority - you know, the majority who UNQUESTIONABLY VOTED for our now-president - embraced our new leader for his temperament, inclusive perspective, and forward-thinking instinct that exudes honest reflection and true commitment to the good of all. Thank God!

#8 and #28 were spot-on.

Hope>Fear

Posted by: sds4u | January 20, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

This seems to be the typical boorish behavior of childish, "tolerant" liberals. Perhaps they need to grow up and listen to their new messiah when he calls for a new tone. Of course, now the left wing will demand a new tone when we talk about Obama, despite the disrespect these childish lefties have shown for the past 8 years. HOpefully, Republicans won't be as disrespectful of "the one" when he leaves office (hopefully) in 4 years.

Posted by: savvyj2 | January 20, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

I am sure that Democrats won't have any problem when Obama is dissed, booed, etc. at his appearances. After all, there is free speech in this country. what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Posted by: savvyj2 | January 20, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

You people are such typical silly Americans. Getting upset about the BOOING of a politician? You people worship those in power so much. Nowhere in Europe would this even be news and also nowhere in Europe would people lick the boots of those with authority as much as Americans do.

Posted by: washingtonpost22 | January 20, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Questions:
1. Do you guys think Bush heard the booing?
2. Didn't Cheyney look worn down and beaten?

Comment: It's like my grandmother always said- "You can be proud and boastful all you like; but there will come a time when you will be thoroughly humbled."

*This is my impression of Cheyney today.

I would love your comments.

Posted by: easonglobal | January 21, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

I think the democrats showed how classless they are. I have never heard this happening at a democrat by the republicans. Bush was so dignified and left office as a first class citizen and the Clintons-one scandal after another. Look at Obama and all the connections he has with some low life people. Wake up and see the fraud they truly are. SCUM

Posted by: maciemae | January 21, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

You’ve never heard Republicans boo? Watch McCain’s concession speech.

Posted by: gnomeAware | January 21, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Yelling “Get out of town, you bum!” Washington DC
native John Veit throws boot at Marine 1 helicopter
as ex-president George W. Bush tours Mall after
Barack Obama’s inauguration.
January 20th, 2009 Photo: Avalon Hodges

The boot struck a man in the shoulder as he took pictures of Marine 1 but was unfazed and not injured. John apologized profusely and threw his Chinese-made Ariat Cowboy Work Boot four more times at the helicopter without hitting anyone else. The boot was purchased in Alpine, Texas near Midland in 2003 where cowboys and hippies find Bush's Connecticut heritage offensive.

Posted by: johnlveit | January 21, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Bush DESERVED to get booed. Besides being a liar, he never possesed the intellect or leadership needed for the job.

Posted by: apache1151 | January 23, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

I am thankful that former President Bush is out of office but I did not boo him when he was introduced at the inauguration. He was our president and I would have stood against anyone who attempted to harm him in anyway. However, I would also defend the right of anyone who did boo him. That is what our country is founded on right? The freedom to speak our minds and, to you MKadyman, the right to be an uncivilized yokel in any state or city that we care to be in.

Posted by: sherwand | January 23, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse