Memorial, Roosevelt Bridges To Be Closed Sunday
Memorial Bridge will be closed to pedestrians and vehicles Sunday afternoon when President-elect Barack Obama officially opens inaugural festivities at the Lincoln Memorial with a 2:30 p.m. concert that will feature Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce and several other celebrities, according to the District Department of Transportation.
Pedestrians also will not be able to get to the Lincoln Memorial from the Arlington Cemetery Metro exit.
The Theodore Roosevelt Bridge will also be closed to inbound vehicular traffic though outbound traffic will be allowed to flow.
Several roads surrounding the National Mall will also be shut down or limited to residents with valid identification, starting as early as 5 a.m. and ending at 5 p.m.
Shuttle service will be available from RFK Stadium, dropping people off and picking them up at Independence Avenue between 7th and 9th streets.
Read the entire list of closures after the jump.
The U.S. Park Police previously announced the following closings:
January 17th starting at 3:00 p.m. until January 18th at approximately 5:00 p.m.:
• 23rd Street at Constitution Ave
• Henry Bacon Drive
January 18th starting at 5:00 a.m. until January 18th at approximately 5:00 p.m.:
• 22nd Street at Constitution Ave
• 21st Street at Constitution Ave
• 20th Street at Constitution Ave
• 19th Street at Constitution Ave
• 18th Street at Constitution Ave
• Constitution Ave from 17th - 23rd Street
• 17th Street from Constitution Ave to Independence Ave
• Independence Ave from 15th - 23rd Street
• Maine Ave to Independence Ave
• Inlet Bridge (Ohio Drive at East Basin Drive)
• West Basin Drive
• Ohio Drive from Inlet Bridge to Rock Creek Parkway
• Rock Creek Parkway from Virginia Ave to Ohio Drive
• Parkway Drive from Ohio Drive to Lincoln Memorial Bridge
• Memorial Bridge
• 23rd Street from Lincoln Memorial to Independence Ave
January 8th until January 23rd:
• French Drive
In addition, the following roads will also be closed or have parking and/or visitor access restrictions on January 18th. All restrictions and closures are from 5am to 5pm.
Street Closures (northwest DC):
• 17th Street from Constitution Avenue to K Street
• 23rd Street from Constitution Avenue to Washington Circle (23rd Street and Pennsylvania Avenue)
• E Street from Virginia Avenue to 23rd Street
• D Street from Virginia Avenue to 23rd Street
• Virginia Avenue from Constitution Avenue to 23rd Street
Residential Only Access – Valid ID (Driver’s License or picture ID with address required)
• Pennsylvania Avenue from 17th Street to Washington Circle (23rd Street and Pennsylvania Avenue)
• 18th Street from Virginia Avenue to K Street
• 19th Street from Virginia Avenue to K Street
• 20th Street from Virginia Avenue to K Street
• 21st Street from Virginia Avenue to K Street
• 22nd Street from Virginia Avenue to K Street
Parking Restrictions - Emergency No Parking Posted
• M Street from Key Bridge to 23rd Street – outbound (north side of street)
• L Street from 23rd to 17th Streets
Both the Memorial Bridge and Theodore Roosevelt Bridge will be closed.
Memorial Bridge: There will be no access including vehicular and pedestrian across the Memorial Bridge or to the west side of the Lincoln Memorial. Pedestrians will not be able to access the event from the Arlington Cemetery Metro exit.
The following metro stops are recommended for general public guests:
• Red Line: Farragut North and Metro Center
• Blue and Orange Lines: Farragut West, Federal Center and Smithsonian
• Yellow and Green lines: L'Enfant Plaza and Archives
Theodore Roosevelt Bridge: Closed inbound to vehicular traffic. Outbound will remain open.
Shuttle Service from RFK
• Parking and shuttle service will be available at RFK Stadium. People wishing to drive may park their cars at RFK and take a shuttle bus (shuttle buses will be located in lot 8) to the mall. The shuttle will drop off and pick up at Independence Avenue between 7th and 9th Streets.
The District will implement DDOT's Operation Fast Forward timing on traffic signals located on evacuation corridors near the Lincoln Memorial following the festivities in order to facilitate traffic as it exits the downtown area. For details visit www.ddot.dc.gov.
DDOT will place Traffic Control Officers (TCOs) at the following locations:
• M Street from Wisconsin Avenue to 28th Street NW
• Pennsylvania Avenue, from M Street to 18th Street, NW
• K Street from 27th Street to 18th Street, NW
• Washington Circle, NW
• 23RD Street from Washington Circle to Virginia Avenue, NW
General Public Access to the Inaugural Opening Ceremonies will begin at 8am. This event is free and open to the public and no ticket is required.
Ticketed Guest Entrance:
• Henry Bacon Drive near Constitution Avenue
General Public Entrances:
• Constitution Avenue at 19th street
• Constitution Avenue at Virginia Avenue
• 17th street at North Elm Walk
• 17th street at South Elm Walk
• Independence Avenue at the DC War Memorial
A complete list of prohibited items is listed on the United States Secret Service Inaugural website at http://www.secretservice.gov/presidential_inaugural.shtml
Nikita R Stewart
January 14, 2009; 3:22 PM ET
Previous: Dramatic Constitution Reading at Newseum Sunday | Next: Free Phone Application for BlackBerrys, iPhones to Help Navigate Washington
Get This Widget >>
Posted by: nashpaul | January 14, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: winnie3 | January 14, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: adp21 | January 14, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.