Special Classifieds Feature

Buy Washington Post Inauguration newspapers, books, and more

PIC Spokesman: Inaugural Ball/Parade Ticketing Not Complete

A spokesman for the Presidential Inaugural Committee confirmed an Inauguration Watch report that some supporters of Barack Obama have been offered tickets to the inaugural balls, parade and swearing-in ceremony. But spokesman Kevin Griffis stressed that the ticketing has not been finalized, so others might get a chance to buy tickets as well.

Griffis took issue with the suggestion that the official inaugural events would be reserved for longtime Obama supporters and big donors.

"This year's Presidential Inaugural Committee is committed to creating the most open and accessible inauguration in history," he said. "The steps we have taken, especially in light of the demand, reflects that."

The PIC, for example, has picked 18 folks from around the country to join Obama's Jan. 17 train ride to D.C. Locally, there is an essay contest for more than 100 District students to attend the parade and sit in a viewing stand next to the President-elect's.

Plus, one of the balls -- the Neighborhood Ball -- will set aside tickets for District residents. And those tickets will be free.

But, still, when will tickets be open to the general public? And how can they order them?

"We are absolutely sensitive to the fact that people are waiting with baited breath," Griffis said. He offered no details.

By Nikita Stewart and David Nakamura

By David A Nakamura  |  January 7, 2009; 4:25 PM ET  | Category:  Parade , Presidential Inaugural Committee , Swearing-in Ceremony , The Balls , Tickets
Previous: Street Closings Announced by Secret Service | Next: Inauguration Day Bike Valet Locations Announced

Add Inauguration Watch to Your Site
Stay on top of the latest from Inauguration Watch! This easy-to-use widget is simple to add to your own Web site and will update every time there's a new installment of Inauguration Watch.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Ahem. I believe you mean "bated" breath.

Posted by: mbillips | January 7, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I am very grateful for this site as I
want to go to the parade and want to
buy a ticket that won't break my piggy
bank. I will be checking this web site
every day until more information is announced
regarding parade tickets. Thanks.jms

Posted by: rodneysmall | January 7, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

We'll get the hoi polloi just as many tickets as we have left after the swells get theirs. But buy a t-shirt!

Posted by: wp11234 | January 7, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I received one of those invitations, from the Inaugural Committee by email last evening. It starts out, "We are selling a $10,000 package that includes tickets to the Official Swearing In Ceremony, Inaugural Parade, and the Official Balls with the President." I'm on one of the campaign finance committees and have received no other invitation. The reason no invitations have been sent is that they are trying to raise as much money as they can. It smacks of greed and goes against the inclusiveness of this campaign. I'll be in DC but I guess I won't need to pack my gown.

Posted by: assateague | January 7, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

A major change is about to embark upon us. Ready or not, change is coming. I'm ready! Are you? If not, step out and be a part of the change, making the world a better place to live in.

Now, about those tickets, how do I get tickets to something so spectacular! extravagant! moving! exciting! triumphant! amazing! awesome! bewildering! Hey! Don't leave me out, I want to participate in this! My family too! We are on a very meager budget,just because we are poor doesn't mean I shouldn't have a chance to attend the inauguration. We are making sacrifices to be at the inauguration. It's more than a dream come true. I'm giving a part of my heart, or does it matter that I'm a nobody? I signed up for tickets, I was on a waiting list, but was skipped over, probably because I am a nobody. At least that is the way I'm beginning to feel the closer the day approach. Anyone have anything to say to lift my dropping spirit? Anybody out there who will respond to me? I love this country to.

I think one poor person should be admitted free and I nominate myself, be allowed to bring four other poor people, my family.
I'm not ashamed to ask or else I won't receive. Thanks, ame

Posted by: alicedwrds | January 9, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

We all deserve to go to this event but
I think some people ar more deerving
then others!! $1,000 for a $25 parade
ticket that doesn't even guarantee you
a seat. What do the real grandstand
seats go for..by Blair House for instance?
If I could buy a t-shirt I would..but
it's going to be cold on 1/20/09.

Posted by: rodneysmall | January 12, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse