Special Classifieds Feature

Buy Washington Post Inauguration newspapers, books, and more

Inaugural Committee Issues 5 Color-Coded Sample Tickets, Capitol Map, Instructions

The Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies today issued instructions for how the 240,000 ticket holders for Barack Obama's swearing-in should access the Capitol grounds for the ceremony Jan. 20. The tickets will come in one of five different colors -- orange, blue, silver, yellow and purple -- and the colors correspond with seating/standing areas. The colors also determine where ticket-holders should enter the viewing areas.

View the map, samples of the tickets and the complete instructions here.

By David A Nakamura  |  January 11, 2009; 11:17 AM ET  | Category:  Swearing-in Ceremony , Tickets
Previous: Big Rehearsal of Swearing-In, Parade | Next: Weather Watch: First Look at Jan. 20 Forecast: 38 Degrees, Sunny

Add Inauguration Watch to Your Site
Stay on top of the latest from Inauguration Watch! This easy-to-use widget is simple to add to your own Web site and will update every time there's a new installment of Inauguration Watch.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Glad I was able to get parade tickets, instead of standing in the cold. I will have a better view.

Posted by: easternstar25 | January 11, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I received an invite for the inauguration by mail and it looks nothing like the ticket images posted. Do we exchange the invite for real tickets?

I could not find any information regarding this issue on the JCCIC web site, either.

Posted by: robertliao | January 12, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

robertliao - The invitation you received has nothing to do with having a ticket. I also received an invitation in the mail; I think millions of us might have. It came from the Presidential Inauguration Committee. I got my ticket to the Swearing-In ceremony from my Congressman because I called him to get on his list for tickets. I think a lot of people are going to be confused about the Invitation.

Posted by: kashabear | January 12, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I have a question and a comment..
First of all the standing area by the
Capitol is color-coded..next how many
times will we have to go through
security? Once for the swearing in
but what about the parade route. And
if anyone knows a good place to
get a cheap parade ticket could they
please pass it along. Thanks.

Posted by: rodneysmall | January 12, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I was saddened to realize this morning that the ticket I purport to have received is actually an invite!! I even went to Facebook to register my pleasure only to come here and read about this!!

Posted by: Cherrypicker | January 15, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Hello:
Of the 240,000 tickets, how many are for seats as opposed to standing? On the map, there are four sections (1,2,7,8) that are green. Who occupies these sections? Thank you.
MM

Posted by: rosevale | January 17, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

From what I understand, the silver tickets are not so great. Are those the only ones distributed by congressmen with the better sections reserved for large donors or is it possible I may get the good tickets? Thanks

Posted by: bretlevick | January 18, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse