Special Classifieds Feature

Buy Washington Post Inauguration newspapers, books, and more

Tickets to Obama's Official Regional Inaugural Balls Available for $150

We've heard reports that people are buying tickets to Barack Obama's seven official regional inaugural balls for the face value of $150 apiece. Last week, we reported that the Presidential Inaugural Committee was selling tickets to the seven balls for donations of at least $500. Now, those tickets are available for $150 at the PIC Web site. Purchasers are limited to six tickets apiece. The regional balls, at which Obama has promised to appear Jan. 20, are:

West Ball- Washington Convention Center
South Ball- DC Armory
Midwest Ball- Washington Convention Center
Northeast Ball- Union Station
Mid Atlantic Ball- Washington Convention Center (This will include New York, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia.)
Obama Home States Ball- Washington Convention Center
Biden Home States Ball- Washnigton Convention Center

Still no word on tickets to the Neighborhood Ball Jan. 20 or the Kids' Concert at the Verizon Center Jan. 19.

Update 4:34 p.m: It appears the $150 tickets might have sold out, according to several readers who've called to say they can no longer buy tickets on the Web site.

By David A Nakamura  |  January 13, 2009; 3:40 PM ET  | Category:  The Balls , Tickets
Previous: Musical Talent Announced for Neighborhood, Kids' Inaugural Balls | Next: Weather Watch: "Chance of Snow" On Inauguration Day

Add Inauguration Watch to Your Site
Stay on top of the latest from Inauguration Watch! This easy-to-use widget is simple to add to your own Web site and will update every time there's a new installment of Inauguration Watch.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Looks like the sale was short lived. The tickets are no longer available.

Posted by: adamlord68 | January 13, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

ARGH

Posted by: bug451 | January 13, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

*ahem* what I meant to say was, it's insanely frustrating this was done without notice. At least with the parade bleacher seats we all knew when we'd have our shot.

I've been sitting right here at my computer since this post was made; excuse the hell out of me, Inaugural Committee, for not reloading the Post's inaugural blog every 60 seconds.

Posted by: bug451 | January 13, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I managed to get one... guess they sold out quickly once the word got out. Still you have to think the PIC could have done better with this one.

Posted by: wp11234 | January 13, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

why is it that the ticket scalpers are already selling Neighborhood Ball tickets if they haven't been released? I saw several sites that had these tickets for sale for over $1000 dollars. So much for making it a ball for the people. this is frustrating.

Posted by: rikkim1 | January 13, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

For those that got the $150 tickets, how were you able to select which region you got tickets for? Do they assign you tickets based on address or are you given the option to choose? THANKS!

Posted by: calidcgirl | January 13, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Also for those that got the $150 tickets, how did you know and where on the site did you buy them? I've had the PIC website open all day in case they released tickets. I never saw an announcement or any link on the site for buying tickets. I also signed up for text and email notices from the PIC and didn't receive anything. Thanks!

Posted by: bw0766 | January 13, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

The Post totally dropped the ball on this one. I went to the PIC web site around noon and saw the $150 tickets. I bought a few and told my friends. After a few HOURS (when the Post *still* failed to put it on the inaugural blog) I emailed them. By the time they posted it after 4 the tickets were already sold out! (I had checked). There was then an "update" email about being sold out.

Posted by: harperissac2008 | January 13, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I am so frustrated. I too am signed up for updates by the PIC, and didn't receive anything. Anyone who got tickets, if you have any extra PLEASE email me, misskelly23@hotmail.com. Thanks to you, boo to PIC.

Posted by: kels78 | January 13, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Miss that!!

Posted by: easternstar25 | January 13, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

One person wrote that they saw the $150 tickets at the PIC website at around noon. I constantly checked the site and have signed up for every notice they have and I never saw a notice at PIC. I fortunately ran into the link last night via the Washington post and decided to check again today. I just made it in time to get two tickets. PIC needs to do a much better job with their announcements. Also when one calls their office, their staff is not friendly.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

At first there was a link to buy tickets, then it redirected us to the contribution page. We made a $300 contribution thinking it was for 2 tickets. If it was not for tickets, please if anyone who has extra tickets at a "very reasonable" price, please contact me at ncurtis4@yahoo.com

Posted by: nathancurtis1 | January 13, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how and when we will be able to get the tickets that we purchased today? There was no info with the confirmation and when one calls PIC they won't say anything.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Nathan the link to buy the tickets was a contribution page. As long as the page that you were on had a little box to put in the amount of tickets that you wanted beside the price $150 and it indicated $300 under that then you were on the right page. You should have them received an email that said:

Thank you for your generous contribution of $300.00.

Your contribution to the Presidential Inaugural Committee will allow us to make this historic event open to as many people as possible. You will receive more information about how to collect your tickets to the Presidential Inaugural Balls n the coming days -- so stay tuned...

We will look forward to seeing you on January 20th in Washington, DC.

Best wishes,

Presidential Inaugural Committee 2009.

I just wish they would be more specific as to when they will email us the ticket pick-up info.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I didn't get an update from the PIC. I just went to the link where they had sold the $2,500 and $500 tickets over the past few days. Today there were $150 tickets (and no announcements). I only got the amount I needed (3) rather than the maximum (6).

Posted by: harperissac2008 | January 13, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Harper did you get any info about how to collect our tickets? I only purchased two because I was not sure if the link was legitimate or not. If I would have been 100% sure I would have purchased more for family.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

No, the message I got was that I would get an email in the coming days regarding where to pick up the tickets.

Posted by: harperissac2008 | January 13, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I found it by reloading the /jan20 page that was previously offering $500 tickets. Did not get any emails, announcements, tweets, anything from the PIC. (But buy a poster!!!)

Planning to wear comfortable shoes and eat in advance.

Posted by: wp11234 | January 13, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info. I wish that I would have reserved a room months ago, but at the time I did not think this historical event might occur. Hopefully I can still find a limo.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Were you guys able to choose the region you wanted or is the ticket for ALL regional balls?

Posted by: calidcgirl | January 13, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

calidcgirl. In answer to your question, no we could not pick our ball choice for the $150 tickets, they are suppose to be assigned according to your address. I called PIC right before I purchsed my tickets and was told that some of the balls were sold out but a few were left so some people if they purchased their tickets today may not get a ball in their region. I called PIC within a half an hour before they stopped selling the tickets and they would not even confirm that the tickets were ever on sale. I just clicked the Washington Post link from when they were $500 and was lucky enough to get them.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

6 of the balls will be at the washington convention center, including all of the regional balls. So even if I don't get my region we will all be in the same convention center.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

thanks candace1231. have fun!

Posted by: calidcgirl | January 13, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

You are very welcome :-)

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone considered that the links to these tickets might not be legitimate? There has never been a way to get to any tickets through the PIC web site directly. We bought three of the 500 tickets, but have heard nothing of where or when to get them.

Posted by: johnayoder | January 13, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I have no doubt that it was legitimate. I got a confirmation email from the PIC. Also, the link that I used to get my tickets today (for $150) was part of the PIC web page. Let's face it -- it hasn't been the most organized process, so I'm sure they're working out how they will get the tickets to people. They haven't even posted the tickets for the kids' concert yet and it's in 5 days.

Posted by: harperissac2008 | January 13, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I thought about the issue of it not being legitimate very hard before I purchased the tickets, that is why I only got 2. I compared the url to PICS other url's, I also compared the "details" info in the confirmation email to the "details" info in the emails that I got from other contributions that I made. I then went to my bank online and saw the debit was from the inaugural committee. Plus I don't think the Washington post would post a scam link. I checked a few other things out and it seems to be legit. If it is not they did an awesome job scamming. As you can see I was a bit anal in checking things out lol :-)

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Here is PIC's number is you can get any info out of them as to when we can expect to get info about our tickets please post it here. (202) 651-2009

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

I meant if you can get any info not is you can get any info :-)

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

One last reason why I think it is legit is because after the tickets were no longer available. The link that was used to purchase the tickets was switched to their general contributions page.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 13, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Even after all of the checks I still have small doubts, I guess I will until I hear something from them. I hope the link was legit. If anyone hears anything please post it here.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 14, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Well I donated $100 and didnt get anything.
I do get emails saying would I like to donate more money and if I donate $30 more I can get a poster. I keep getting the feeling that something else is coming as far as getting tickets or them releasing tickets. Its hard to think that if yo donate $100 you acutally don't get a ticket or a chance to attend anything.

Im also wondering what happened to the 10 winners of the essay contest? I put in my essay and got a email update as to the first winner but nothing on the other 9.
Good thing I plan to be in Washington anyway because it could be gut wrenching still not knowing if you have a chance or not if you had no plane tix or hotel. All I can do is wait and see.

Posted by: Floydbeee | January 14, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I just received an email giving details about ticket pickup, so it looks like the link was legitimate.

Posted by: iceskater | January 14, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I got my email too :-)

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 14, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

****ATTENTION****
I am a member of the Virginia Democratic party and just got an email from them that is legitimate. I created an account and was going to buy more tickets but can't afford to right now. Any way tickets were released to the public for $150 at ticket master. You have to create a special account and you can then buy four tickets. The url is: https://oss.ticketmaster.com/html/home.htmI?team=picball&=EN&out=1.

I hope this helps everyone out. Let me know if you were able to get tickets through this.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 14, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

BTW: when you get to the site, if the event is sold out you will get a message that says you don't have access to view this event. Just keep going back and clicking the events until you reach one that lets you purchase tickets.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 14, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

If anyone is interested. I just bought a ticket to the southern regional ball for $150. There were still tickets to the west/south west regional ball.

Posted by: inaug | January 14, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

BTW...thanks Candace1231!

Posted by: inaug | January 14, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

You are very welcome :-) If it were not for the original Washington Post link to the PIC tickets that sold out yesterday, I would not have been able to get tickets, so I want to in turn help anyone that I can. Us average folks should have the same opportunities to celebrate as the well connected.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 14, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Hi. So I purchased tickets a couple of days ago and got a confirmation exactly like Candace1231, but I haven't received any information on how to pickup the tickets. What should I do?

Posted by: kyh1 | January 15, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

kyh1 call the number for PIC that I previously posted or write to them at inauguralballs@pic2009.org
You have to have the email that they were suppose to send you in order to pick up your tickets. They have pickups Friday through Sunday at times according to your last name.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 15, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I just called the 202 number I was advised to call on my ticket receipt for the Midwest ball. I was told "Will Call" is going to be at the Convention Center, Room 146, Jan. 16, 17, 18, 8 am to 9 pm, and Jan. 19, 8 am-9 pm. What a relief as I arrive in town on Sunday morning!

Posted by: ClaireinDuluth | January 15, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I would like to purchase at least one southern ball ticket at face value. Im a student from Houston that will be in town in DC Friday. texas.daniel@gmail.com

Posted by: texasdaniel | January 15, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Hi. Thanks Candace1231. Sent email and called. They said they would get back to me, but haven't. My card clearly got charged so not sure what's going on. Has anyone else had the same issue? Have a feeling just literally made a modest donation.

Posted by: kyh1 | January 15, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

kyh1 - I also bought tix through the pic2009 website on Tuesday (received the same "thank you" email as Candace 1231) and have not received an email detailing where to pick up my tix. I've called PIC and they are supposed to get back to me, but I think I may just try to pick them up at the convention Friday.

Posted by: legallyspeaking | January 15, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Kyh1 Did you buy your tickets through the link at the PIC website? The one where it had a donation page but instead on having a list of donation amounts it showed that you could buy tickets, then it had a box where you could indicate how many tickets you want for $150 each? If that is the page you were on then you are ok and you did indeed purchase tickets. But if you went to the PIC site and just made a donation on their regular donation page then you did not purchase tickets. You should have received an email stating something like this:
Thank you for your generous contribution of $300.00.

We will look forward to seeing you on January 20th in Washington, DC.

Best wishes,

Presidential Inaugural Committee 2009.

The second email that you should have received would be an email that they tell you to print it and bring it with you to the convention center. PIC does not do a good job at replying. I sent an email with two important questions and have not heard back from them. Try calling them again tomorrow morning and let them know you need to get your ticket info asap so that you can make arrangements to attend. If they still give you the run around print the thank you email that you received along with a copy of your bank statement showing the charge and go to the Washington Convention Center tomorrow or Saturday between 9am and 5pm room 146C so that they can straighten things out for you. Legallyspeaking - I would suggest that you do the same things that I mentioned above. I hope this helps.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 16, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Double check your spam folders too.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 16, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Candace1231. Tried calling them today and they told me that ticketmaster was 'down.' Nothing came by UPS today (rumor was that some may arrive by mail) so I may have to trek down to the convention center this weekend. Did anyone have problems when they went down there with just the thank you email?

Posted by: kyh1 | January 16, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I never received my confirmation, but took my thank you letter and picked up my tix with no problem.

Posted by: legallyspeaking | January 16, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I am glad everything is working out. There seems to be problems with printing the tickets. I picked mine up today but when I got home they had sent me an email stating that they were having problems and not to come to pick up the tickets today. Luckily mine was available. Most of the people there got their tickets a few had problems. I did not get any of my choices for the ball but I am thrilled just to have the honor of going. Are all of the ladies going to wear a gown? I read blogs from people in the past that said with the cold, people spilling drinks on their gowns, etc. that they would never wear a gown again. I wanted a gown but I purchased a classy pantsuit and will wear some stunning jewelry lol. I will probably get my daughter a gown. I hope everyone has an incredible night. Take care and it has been nice chatting with you all.

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 16, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know whether the Regional Balls are black tie, or black-tie optional? Also wondering if you all, like me, still haven't received your tickets yet. I think I may try to go down to the Convention Center today - between 9am and 5pm room 146C as Candance1231 suggestions.

Posted by: akdc | January 17, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I am totally panicked now. I purchased tickets through the PIC website (via the ticketmaster site that the PIC website link takes you to), and received an e-mail stating that my ticket purchase was successful. I never received ANY e-mail stating anything about ticket pick-up, and never even thought I would have to pick them up until yesterday after work when, wondering why my tickets still hadn't come, I went back to the ticketmaster link and saw a message about "will call". I called the PIC # as instructed as was greeting by an automated message telling me all ticket info was only available through the website. Back to the website, they had nothing. Meanwhile, no one answered the phone, so I left a message. I continued to leave messages throughout the day today, even, and no one has called me back. Meanwhile, Saturday is now over, so there is no way me and my confirmation e-mail are going to make it down to the convention center by 5 PM today. It's available tomorrow, though, right? (Will Call in, according to posts above, Room 146 of the Walter E. Washington Convention Center?) Please, please, help me, as no one at the PIC is. Thanks.

Posted by: aegrise | January 17, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Hi! Took my thank you letter down to the convention center and also had no problem getting my tickets. No line either as I went in the afternoon (I think everyone was at the concert). Thanks everyone for their suggestions and support! My family is totally psyched!

Posted by: kyh1 | January 18, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

AKDC Yes all of the regional balls are black tie official balls that Obama will be attending. On the tickets, it has black tie printed on the bottom. Take care :-)

Posted by: Candace1231 | January 19, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse