Special Classifieds Feature

Buy Washington Post Inauguration newspapers, books, and more

Virginians: How Will You Get in?

Catamaran? Parasail? Trebuchet? With all the bridges closed down and the Metro likely packed to the roof, Post reporter Brigid Schulte is looking for creative methods Northern Virginians are planning to use to get to the Mall on inauguration day. E-mail your schemes to schulteb@washpost.com.

By Christopher Dean Hopkins  |  January 13, 2009; 7:11 PM ET  | Category:  Transportation
Previous: Faces in the Crowd: David Rupert | Next: National Gallery to Be Completely Closed

Add Inauguration Watch to Your Site
Stay on top of the latest from Inauguration Watch! This easy-to-use widget is simple to add to your own Web site and will update every time there's a new installment of Inauguration Watch.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

The decision to closed both I395 and I66 inside the Beltway for Inauguration Day is not just stupid, it is so asinine that those responsible should be fired, and permanently barred from any future government employment. I have some news for them: Northern Virginia has a life beyond that of the Inauguration and the Federal Government.

Lives that will be trying to go to work, shop, travel, visit the doctor or hospital, among other things, on January 20, Just how are they supposed to do it with our traffic aorta clamped off? Trains and buses are not options for most of these folks. Hundreds of thousands of people, including vital healthcare workers will be unable to get their places of work, and it is not hard to see this decision actually costing lives. Furthermore, this decision will not enhance security at all, because hundreds of police will have to be deployed to unsnarl the traffic catastrophe this boondoggle will cause.

The airport will stay open, but tonight I overheard TSA employees commenting that they plan to call in sick if required to work. If you think security lines are long now, wait until three-quarters of the TSA workforce is at home.

This is a bizarre and dangerous decision. We should hold accountable all those who made it. The damage it will do is out of all proportion to any benefit that will come from it.

Posted by: jimtav | January 14, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

jimtav

1. decaf

2. it's just ONE day, not two weeks

3. death threats have doubled in addition to the ones we don't know about. So it's a no brainer to have security on steroids.

4. If something were to happen, I'm sure you'd be the first with an Asinine-Not-to-Close-the-Bridges letter.

5. it's just one day.

6. Sorry for your McCain-Palin loss

Posted by: Keliza64 | January 14, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

How will I get in? I'm going to DCA and getting the heck out of here. Hello Miami!

Have fun in the snow (I can only hope), suckers!

Posted by: blafhhhh | January 14, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

January 21 access question --
Does anyone know about the electronic sign on Route 66 which claims that the bridges will be closed on January 21st. Folsk in my office all worry about coming into town on Wednesday - but I see nothing on the DC or VDOT website.

Posted by: harknese | January 14, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I live in north Arlington and take a #3 Metrobus to Rosslyn daily. I was planning to take that same bus on Jan. 20 and then walk across the Key Bridge to DC and then to the mall. Now they say the #3 bus will go into DC, great. If that doesn't work I'll stick with the original plan and walk. Cold weather doesn't scare me. I will avoid Metrorail at all costs.

Posted by: sgajewski | January 14, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Why is it necessary to have Eastbound 66 and the Dulles Toll Road be Hov 2 starting on SATURDAY..and Westbound until 9 am on WEDNESDAY. As someone who lives in Arlington and works out to the west and has to go to work on Monday and again on Wednesday it is a major pain. I understand the restrictions on Tuesday but why the rest of the time?
And when exactly were the general public going to be told about it. I only found out by doing some serious web searching

Posted by: lghar2 | January 16, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse