Iraq = Hip Hop?

Over at bloggingheads.tv, Eli Lake of the New York Sun and I talk about Iraq, the politicization of the military officer corps, the 2008 election, and a bunch of other subjects. Check it out and let me know what you think in the comments section.

By Phillip Carter |  April 22, 2008; 7:00 PM ET  | Category:  Events & Discussions
Previous: Pundits or Puppets Cont. | Next: From Hunger to Violence

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I couldn't listen to the whole hour. Lake really seems much more interested in interviewing himself than in hearing or listening to what the guest has to say. He opens with a reference to the NYT article, and when you say that it illustrates the successful attempt by the Republicans to politicize the top levels of the military he tries to blame it on the Democrats.

But it's nice when people on the wrong side don't come across well on screen. (Elliott Abrams, a convicted felon in the Bush administration, for example-- it's some small comfort that he looks like a rat.) Lake is fat and has a squeaky voice, injects "y'know" so frequently you pay attention to this verbal tic more than to what he's saying, and he can't go for five minutes without a cigarette. If he were smart, he'd stick to print.

Posted by: Jay Livingston | April 23, 2008 7:07 AM

Mr. Carter, you were brilliant. I think Mr. Lake was taken aback by your command of the topic and your eloquence.

I've heard you speak on NPR, but until now I didn't realize you have a face made for TV. So instead of decrying these shills, why don't you try competing with them? But don't bother to send an application to Fox (or to CNN after your in-passing remark about them).

I was a little disappointed that in the discussion about Sadr's "retreat" in Basra, no one pointed out that it could be viewed as a case of him quitting while he was ahead, and in the process conserving his fighters and leaving all the egg on Maliki's face.

And when the topic of sheik "rental" came up, someone might have pointed out the possibility that they are playing a three-corner game -- until they can kill one of the corners and then turn on the other.

But the point you made later (in the context of Egypt) that you sometimes have to work with bad people certainly makes sense.

In all, bravo.

Cheers,

JP

Posted by: almost drafted | April 23, 2008 12:21 PM

yeah I thought you were good. Serious, sincere. If anything, too serious, but I think when talking about the politicisation of the military or the supposed WMD one ought to be. Whereas Eli Lake came off as more than a little flippant.

Posted by: No one | April 24, 2008 12:29 PM

I don't have a problem with the "Pentagon" engaging in propaganda as long as it was the political appointees engaged in this effort. I do however have a huge problem with this effort if senior uniformed officials were involved in this sales effort.

Posted by: allan | April 24, 2008 5:44 PM

Why is it that all neocon commentators (Kagan, Lake, etc) are fat? And ugly?

Posted by: Ranger | April 28, 2008 9:27 AM