Disneyland on the Tigris

It must be a sign of cynicism that my first reaction to this story about a new urban redevelopment plan for the Green Zone was: "Man, I bet they were smoking something green when they dreamed this up." And that my second reaction was "Sweet! They're building a Marriott! I've got tons of Marriott points!"

Seriously though, you've got to wonder when you read about plans like this. For starters, the most successful Iraq reconstruction projects have been the small-scale projects, not the big ones. I understand the need to develop the Iraqi economy and agree that a prosperous neighborhood near the Green Zone would assist with long-term security. But this is a pipe dream, not a plan rooted in reality. Iraq has more immediate needs, and this kind of fantasy exercise insults the Iraqis, Americans and others who are working so hard to address those more pressing issues.

By Phillip Carter |  May 7, 2008; 9:58 AM ET  | Category:  Iraq
Previous: Soldier Sabbaticals | Next: A Better GI Bill

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

This, at a time when it looks as though rocket and mortar attacks on the Green Zome may be as permanent as similar Hamas attacks on an Israeli town?

Posted by: David Martin | May 7, 2008 1:40 PM

And they can use the thirty 737s Iraq is "buying" from Boeing (with our tax dollars, no doubt) as lawn ornaments.

Posted by: srv | May 7, 2008 2:20 PM

This is just one example among thousands that exemplify the corruption within the Fascist Criminal Enterprise of Bush/Cheney. They do not have time to focus on the real problems, their primary focus has been on corruption. The largest robbery of history of present and future taxpayers is being committed right under our very noses. Why has no one been following the money trail--from Abramoff to the Pentagon and into every department of government. "Where is everybody?, For gods sakes."-Helen Thomas

Posted by: ghostcommaner | May 7, 2008 6:25 PM

Right On ;Phil. Wow Man;You've linked your title to my Headline concieved as I was devoutly praying @synagogue this pre 7AM,morning.

My Headline,Just too Good to wait,until free E-use returns tomorrow morning Jerusalem Israelabouts;

So I tap in individualy with out any Computer Edit funtions;for All my U.S. newspaper forums;sequentially.

Intel All;Sleep Well for a safe productive Thursday May 8,2008;;Now @8:18 AM ET +7;@my local West Jerusalem Central Bus Station.

לחיים=To Life PRIORITY 1 LIFE Michael

Bush coming here @Fantasy Land;Stop World reality,"I wanna Get off!"

Posted by: Michael of up West.Orig.Manhattan.Now Jerusalem. | May 8, 2008 12:21 AM

Phil wrote: "Seriously though, you've got to wonder when you read about plans like this". No, I don't "wonder" about stuff like this. I may be right, or I may be wrong, but I don't "wonder" anymore. I have arrived at my answer/s for who and what the Bush Admin et al are.

Posted by: jonst | May 8, 2008 6:50 AM

Ain't about Disneyland, or the Marriott, or even about the Green Zone. it's about sending a message, as it is in every war of this type:

"We're here to stay."