Bush To Reassure Public Tomorrow A.M.

President Bush, who has said little publicly during this week's prolonged market dive, will make a statement about the crisis Friday morning in the Rose Garden, the White House said late today.

Press secretary Dana M. Perino said Bush will "assure the American people that they should be confident that economic officials are aggressively taking every action to stabilize our financial system."

Bush will say that his administration has "the necessary tools to address the problem," and that Treasury is "moving quickly to use new tools to improve liquidity, which is the root cause of this problem," Perino said.

"Americans should be confident that every effort is being taken to stabilize our markets," Perino said.

After his Rose Garden statement Friday morning, Bush is scheduled to travel to Florida and South Carolina for most of the day. He will attend a pair of closed GOP fundraisers, meet with a group of Cuban-American leaders, and participate in a photo opportunity with the 2008 Little League Softball World Series Champions, according to his official schedule.

On Saturday back at the White House, Bush is likely to make another public statement after meeting with G7 finance ministers, administration officials said.

-- Dan Eggen

October 9, 2008; 7:10 PM ET  | Category:  business
Previous: Wachovia-Citi-Wells Talks Collapse | Next: GM: Bankruptcy 'Not An Option'

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Hugh Johnson was just speaking. He said people just need something to feel good about. A few minutes before he came on, I was down digging through my bar and found something to feel good about. I'm all set up now, so we'll see what's next. I'm not sure, but this bottle is sure good stuff. I guess it will last longer if things get better sooner. If they don't, I have a reserve of some other stuff. People aren't going to stop drinking. I know I'm not.

Posted by: A-G | October 9, 2008 7:18 PM

"Until that starts coming down, you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone getting excited about stocks," Hogan said. "Everything we're seeing is historic. The problem is historic, the solutions are historic, and unfortunately, the sell-off is historic. It's not the kind of history you want to be making." WashPost

We can do better and we will. I'm sure of it. People are going to run out of junk to sell and quality will carry us into a better future. At least me and you are on your own. Good luck.

Posted by: A-G | October 9, 2008 7:28 PM

So Bush is going to hand out some comfort words and then spend some more of our taxes to go raise money for the dunderheads that really helped put us in this mess. How much would anyone pay per plate to sit down with him? Maybe the ones that have cleaned up the last 8 years, like Halliburton, Blackwater etc. Oh yeah, gotta elect McCAin so they can keep the wars going so they can keep making more money,

Posted by: Rosewren | October 9, 2008 10:38 PM

Binladen went and blew up the whole Middle East economy. The permanent plan will survive and I think the storm will pass in the United States. Don't worry Post because some things just can't be broken. I have it on good authority and on paper. I have cloth to go with the paper, so some stitches in time save more than nine. It's nice and safe here. I could use more dollars though. Can't we all? I'm Maine bound, so the permanent plan is in the box. Good luck Post. The main thing is the Maine thing. So much drama and too little trust. Nobody approved this message.

Posted by: IV | October 10, 2008 7:23 AM

I did not even know there was such a thing a Little League Softball. Is it a derivative?

Have a great day, Mr. President!

Posted by: khrabb | October 10, 2008 8:12 AM