Wall Street Zooms Out of the Gate

We wouldn't start singing "Happy Days Are Here Again" just yet, but the markets have opened strong across the board today.

About 30 minutes into the trading day, the Dow is up about 75 points, or a little less than 1 percent, off of its high so far today of more than 150 points.

The S&P 500 and Nasdaq both are up, as well.

Today, by the way, marks the one-year anniversary of the Dow's all-time high of 14,164. Since then, the Dow has shed more than 4,000 points.

-- Frank Ahrens

October 9, 2008; 10:02 AM ET  | Category:  business
Previous: Wall Street Shifts Focus to Earnings | Next: Report: Wachovia-Citi-Wells Talks Hit Snag

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

75 points is "zooming"? The Dow has dropped 1500 points in the past few weeks, I don't think a 75 point increase is anything to cheer about. It is hard for us regular people to take the media seriously on this issue anyway, since they have been toeing the administrations line of how strong the economy is for years. Now all of a sudden there is a crisis. No one in the administration, no one in the congress, no one in the media 'could have predicting' this coming? Morons.

Posted by: Wake Forest | October 9, 2008 10:28 AM

What a said year it's been since that high.
But c'mon now, let's not get too excited. Of course we were bound for a little rally in the midst of this incredible bear. Here's a good blog on the rally if anyone's interested.
I agree with the Wake Forest comment-- can't really trust anyone right now.

Posted by: jeff | October 9, 2008 12:13 PM

The Post is setting records. It's looking lower, although in the big scheme of things can you really trust the market? Looks like the old days are here to stay and it's the same old thing as ever before. Who can you really trust? I'm operating on the permanent plan and my papers don't change. I have my own charts and seals & such. Don't panic, it won't help anybody and can only make things worse. Better days are ahead, I promise.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 9, 2008 12:25 PM

I want to thank Americans for voting in Mr. George Bushes for Presidency!! He has done more to you country than I could have ever dreamed!!

Yes, Americans. Even if my religion, Praise be to Allah, allowed me to smoke marijuana or consume liqours, could I have dreamed up the ways he destroys your country.

May the peace of Allah and his Prophet Mohammed, be upon Mr. George Bushes!!

Posted by: Osama Bin Laden | October 9, 2008 1:19 PM

My piece of U.S. Country is far from destroyed. The AIG and islamic bonds don't look to be paying much praise. The U.S. Dollar is part of the permanent plan and is a safe haven. It's a little dangerous here, so if you come over to the house bring some Dollars and we can talk business. I don't do global thank God. There are still deals waiting to be made and the bad deals will need to wait down in hell forever. There's a lot of stuff headed that way and more on the way. Oil was headed down this morning and should keep going down. There's a permanent plan for Wall Street and you might not like it. It's all just business, so don't get emotional about it. Wait until Friday and remember the U.S. is ideal. They think they are fooling us and they are just fooling themselves. The good fight goes forward and the machine keeps running. Think positive Post. A lot of people aren't thinking at all and this is a big story. Were we so great you couldn't find a successor or were we so rotten you didn't give a hoot? I wish I knew and I may never know. I need to water the flowers and make dinner. Life has a way of just going on.

Posted by: A-G | October 9, 2008 5:00 PM