Best quitter ever? JetBlue flight attendant slides out in style

Nobody likes a quitter. Except for the 11,819 people and counting on the newly created Facebook fan page of Steven Slater. Or the 700 fans of the page What Would Steve Slater Do (WWSSD). Or the commentators on blogs who write statements such as, "Give the guy a medal! I predict he will become an instant hero to airline passengers who follow the rules."

"My hero!" "Dude Rocks!" "AMEN BROTHER!!!!" Facebook fans wrote on the Steven Slater wall.PH2010081003586.jpg

With one dramatic exit, Slater has become a modern-day Howard Beale, the newscaster in the movie "Network" who incited his audience to get "mad as hell."

JetBlue flight attendant Slater made his great escape via a plane's emergency slide on Monday afternoon after a scuffle with a passenger. The passenger reportedly cursed at him and dropped a bag on Slater's head. Slater took to the airwaves, saying a few choice words over the plane's intercom and announcing, "It's been great." He then grabbed some beer, his luggage and slid off home. Those plane slides always did look like they'd be a much more fun way to leave the plane than walking down to the tarmac.

Slater was arrested in his home a few hours after the incident. On Twitter, people are calling for a "Free Steven Slater" movement. There's already a line of "Free Steven Slater" T-shirts and a line of "Take This Job and Slide It" T-shirts.

Slater may have the most talked-about quitting scene to date, but he is not alone in his outlandish style of an exit. Thanks to YouTube, a few other disgruntled employees have captured their "Network" moments for posterity. Here's a sampling:

Slater may be setting a new trend. A series of photos of another epic quitter leaked to the website The Chive today. This unhappy ex-employee says goodbye to her co-workers and mocks her boss for his addiction to Farmville in a series of captions on a whiteboard.

Do you have a an epic quitting story of your own? Post it in the comments!

By Melissa Bell

August 10, 2010; 11:42 AM ET  | Category:  business
Previous: Wimbledon: Longest match ever (Live coverage, VIDEO) | Next: Elyse Porterfield is not Jenny, the quitter with a whiteboard.

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I don't find this admirable behavior at all, but it's all of a piece with modern life, I suppose. I'm glad I'm old and won't be around much longer to see the pervasive nastyization that has overtaken American life.

Posted by: nicekid | August 10, 2010 5:57 PM

I guess all you facebook-Slater bozos would support sports players throwing temper tantrums at fans too.

The airline should fire this bozo for unprofessional conduct and blackball him within the aviation industry as a threat to public safety.

As far the passengers arguing; Slater was a sissy for not restoring order.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | August 10, 2010 6:03 PM

I read some of the comments on his Facebook defense fund page. Lots of whining from flight crew folks about how badly they're treated by passengers. Do these folks think being a passenger is a picnic? It's become a nightmare. Bag fees, long security lines (something they avoid), having to practically undress at the checkpoint, tight seat configuration, being nickel & dimed for everything once aboard, takeoff & landing delays, rude & surly flight attendants, and on and on. I'm sure there are some rude passengers, but it's become an absolute nightmare to fly (I take the train when practical).

Posted by: tjconnor | August 10, 2010 6:13 PM

I was an air force brat the first 17 years of my life, I spend more of my childhood overseas than here at home.

I flew across the atlantic and pacific several times. I really like those pretty young stewardesses.

Now that I'm old-er, I see those same young ladies are still here, still stewardesses, only now they're even older than me!. Except for the gay german stewards, what the hell? Vould you like a pillow thir?

Posted by: jontomus | August 10, 2010 6:18 PM

Who knows what really happened (its all speculation), but if half of what they're saying is true, he was JetBlue's most entertaining employee.

Show us more!

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | August 10, 2010 6:19 PM

Posted by: cdreimer | August 10, 2010 6:24 PM

I'm not taking sides here. I'm too busy hoping the people who plan the seating on airplanes today never see those diagrams of the way slaves were transported from Africa to the New World, lying down, head to feet in three layers. They could call it the Under Class. Shhhhhh.....

Posted by: m_richert | August 10, 2010 6:30 PM

Never, Ever, take a seat in the rear of the plane on a really long flight. That's where they push the crying brats. And you get to pay 25 euros for your 13 peanuts last, and smell those ... well, if you've been there, i don't have to explain it.

Posted by: jontomus | August 10, 2010 6:37 PM

the link posted above by cdreimer is absolutely hilarious!! "best quitter ever!"

Posted by: tjconnor | August 10, 2010 6:43 PM

Some nasty, unhappy people commenting here! Just don't bring your attitude on board...this guy's a hero and it's attitudes like these that provoke him. Nobody was hurt so stop whining.

Posted by: NYC123 | August 10, 2010 6:52 PM

"Nobody was hurt so stop whining."

---------------

So if I rob a bank and no one is hurt, it's all good? I love the "nobody got hurt" crowd....

Posted by: tjconnor | August 10, 2010 6:58 PM

cdreimer - great link! Be patient. It takes a little while to download because of all the pix, but it's worth it.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | August 10, 2010 7:01 PM

Has anyone ever flown on Jet Blue?

I flew on Jet Blue once about 3 years ago on an emergency trip. Because of the short time that I had to leave, I was hoping to save a few hundred dollars, by flying on Jet Blue, instead of on one of the major airlines and it was the most miserable plane trip I have ever been on in my whole life.

They put me in one of the middle seats between two huge people on both sides of me. The woman to the left of me was so huge she was taking up part of my seat. I felt like I was suffocating between these two people during the whole trip from D.C., to Atlanta. On my return trip back, I went ahead and paid the extra $50 to ride in first class, which was not much better, but definitely better than Jet Blues economy section. Sitting in first class on Jet Blue felt like I was now sitting in the economy section with some leg and elbow room like you would normally have when riding in the economy section on American or Delta airlines.

With that being said, it's Jet Blues fault.

Posted by: lcarter0311 | August 10, 2010 8:10 PM

An American folk hero to be sure. He said FU to all the arrogant a holes that make service industry jobs suck. and didn't shoot anybody!

Posted by: Woodstocknative | August 10, 2010 8:29 PM

And is this foul-mouthed passenger going to be charged federally with assaulting Mr. Slater and 'Interfering with a FLight Crew"?! Not if Holder and his DOJ has anything to do with it.

Posted by: DahktaD | August 10, 2010 8:31 PM

The white board quitting girl Jenny from thechive is a prank. She's FA FA FAKE

Posted by: stikyfingas | August 10, 2010 9:46 PM

Posted by: NYC123 | August 10, 2010 6:52 PM
--------------------------------
This guy is certainly no hero. Hurling obscenities and quitting your job in dramatic and negligent fashion is heroic? Talk about defining deviancy down.

Posted by: smc91 | August 10, 2010 10:05 PM

Well, he's certainly the gayest quitter ever.

Posted by: bendan2000 | August 10, 2010 10:13 PM

Posted by: alant39 | August 10, 2010 10:15 PM

"The white board quitting girl Jenny from thechive is a prank. She's FA FA FAKE"

I suspected as much, tho it's still clever. Do you have proof (like snopes)?

"To the poster who complained about all the issues with security, long lines, etc! Since when is any of that the flight attendants fault?? Blame the airline and do your best to not fly them. But the FA's are not to blame."

I'm your girl. I don't recall blaming the FAs completely, but they are part of the prob. I do see FAs completely blaming the passengers on the Facebook site I referenced. It's a crappy way to travel, and getting crappier.

It's not any one airline (tho some are better, like SW), the FAA, and HLS. If I could cut out air travel completely I'd do so in a NY minute. It used to be enjoyable, even on biz travel. Now it's a uncomfortable ordeal to be endured, even on vacation.

It's no fun, even for passengers. I wasn't trying to blame flight crew, just responding to FC who blame the whole thing on something known as "paying customers".

Posted by: tjconnor | August 10, 2010 10:38 PM

Hello! That Youtube bit is about George COSTANZA- not Bush.

Posted by: justmike | August 10, 2010 11:04 PM

I thought Sarah Palin was the "first quitter."

I'm with you, Mr. Slater. Good show!

Posted by: steelchaser | August 11, 2010 2:45 AM

This guy is funny. This is easily one of the most amusing flame outs I have ever seen. I'd love to hear some of the bloviating egos in the 'on leadership' section choke on what this guy did.

Posted by: Nymous | August 11, 2010 5:03 AM

Flight attendants take the job willingly, apparently enjoy flying, and then get paid to do the work. Passengers often have no choice but to fly, may have fear of flying, and they have to pay to do it. Not only was Slater not a hero, he also was not a victim.

I read that the passenger fighting with Slater was a woman. Popular opinion raising Slater to hero status is nothing more than a

Posted by: Boomerang1 | August 11, 2010 6:23 AM

as I was saying...

Popular opinion raising Slater to hero status is nothing more than sympathy for his having had to put up with a female passenger. I've heard of male passengers being loud, obnoxious, and abusive to female flight attendants, but I've never heard a word of sympathy for the female attendants. If a female attendant had behaved as Slater did, she'd be called irrational, hysterical, and unfit for any job.

What a poor excuse for a man Slater is, and what uncivilized boors those who side with him are.

Posted by: Boomerang1 | August 11, 2010 6:46 AM

Slater Rocks! The rest of you tight-aszed old farts can go to hell. It's your insistence on being civil that has allowed entitled, self-interested little pipsqueaks like that passenger to get away with too much crap for way too long.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | August 11, 2010 7:55 AM

Best quitter ever?

Sarah Palin.

Thank God and six-pound eight-ounce Baby Jesus and Oprah that she's out of the governor's mansion!

Posted by: bs2004 | August 11, 2010 8:58 AM

Boomerang, I disagree with you on some points...

Passengers often have no choice but to fly? How so? They don't HAVE to fly...You can drive, take a bus/train, or just plain NOT go.

Flight attendants do get paid for flying. Almost everyone who does a job gets paid for doing it. Should he have flipped out? No. Should he have exercised more restraint or enlisted the help of other crew? Yes.

Here is the difference if that was a male customer harrassing (loud, obnixious, etc) a female flight attendant...The male customer is going to jail, too. The woman claims the man is doing this and the authorities believe it and he is arrested as soon as he gets off the plane. The male flight attendant has this happen and the woman probably walks away because the authorities say to the guy "stand up and be a man".

We don't know all the facts from this story, either, lets keep that in mind.

Posted by: JPO2200 | August 11, 2010 9:10 AM