Local Address: April 26, 2009 - May 2, 2009

Weekend Reading and the Weekend Poll

In this Saturday's Real Estate Section, Alejandro Lazo has a good story on how people who want to buy, fix and rent are reclaiming the word "investor" from the flippers who prevailed during the boom. Also on Saturday we get the question, what makes a neighborhood neighborly? Ann Cameron Siegal reviews some of the the things (hint: they're verbs, not nouns) that do the job.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  May 1, 2009; 6:00 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (2)
Categories:  Funny , Outdoors , Poll , Selling
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz

Mortgage Crisis Show, Tonight on WAMU and WHUT

I'm looking forward to the questions that will come up this evening during a panel discussion I have been invited to join at Howard University. It's part of their week-long special on the mortgage crisis and is being led by WAMU radio host Kojo Nnamdi. The broadcast will be live on Howard University Television, WHUT,and WAMU 88.5. at 8 p.m.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  April 30, 2009; 2:40 PM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (0)
Categories:  Foreclosure , Mortgages , The economy , The market

Zillow on the iPhone

Well, it looks like the iPhone vs. Blackberry decision is being made for me. Apple's seductive gadget just got a little sexier--at least for housing nuts. Zillow just released its free iPhone app, and it looks like a lot of fun. The cool thing about Zillow has always been that it doesn't just focus on homes that are listed for sale. The company claims to cover 95 percent of all the homes in the United States, offering juicy details like recent sales prices and property tax assessments.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  April 30, 2009; 6:00 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (0)
Categories:  Funny

Fortress Home: Why I Don't Fret Over Pig Flu

I tend to over-react when it comes to prepping my home for disaster. I snapped up duct tape and plastic (even though I felt foolish doing so) a few years back when the feds said we needed to prepare a "safe room" in our homes in case a terrorist set off a bio or radiation bomb. I bought those stupid anti-radiation pills after 9/11. I find it interesting that I'm not particularly worried about the swine flu that is the danger du jour. If an outbreak happens locally, I'm confident my family can retreat to Fortress Home, if necessary. We'll be ready.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  April 29, 2009; 6:00 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (0)

Feds Charge Metro Dream Homes Officers

According to a Justice Department announcement, officers of Metro Dream Homes have been indicted by a federal grand jury in the alleged mortgage fraud scheme, which the Justice Department says was worth $70 million. Charges were filed against Andrew Hamilton Williams, Jr., 58, of Hollywood, Fla., founder and owner; Michael Anthony Hickson, 46, of Commack, NY, chief financial officer; Isaac Jerome Smith, 46, of Spotsylvania, president; Alvita Karen Gunn, 31, of Hanover, Md., vice president of operations.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  April 28, 2009; 6:00 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (0)
Categories:  Foreclosure , Mortgages

The Perfect Napping Spot

A completely seductive window seat that I saw in a remodeled home for sale in the historic district of St. Michael's, Md., recently got me thinking about napping spots, and how every home ought to have one.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  April 27, 2009; 6:30 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (1)