Complete this Sentence Game, Realtor Edition

Today's question is not whether it's a good time to buy a home. Your own budget and lifestyle needs are the best answer for that. Instead we have little game of Complete this Sentence: It's a great time to buy a home because...

Real estate agents spout the line so consistently it's become kinda funny. That's okay; they're in the business of selling, and if I should hire one to list my house, it's salesmanship that I would be after. Still, it draws a chuckle every time I hear the phrase.

I'll get us started with real-estate-biz logic about why whatever time it happens to be is actually a great time to buy a home.

It's a great time to buy because

...interest rates are low. You can afford more!
...interest rates are high. They could go even higher!
...inventory is high. Great selection!
...inventory is low. Everybody's doing it!
...it's spring. Peak selling season!
...it's summer. Families have to get settled before September!
...it's fall. The second peak season!
...it's winter. No competition!
...the stock market is down. Real estate is safer!
...the stock market is up. More money for your downpayment!
...it's baseball season. Why d'ya think they call it home plate?

Complete your sentence in the comments below. Best entries will go up for a vote in the next Weekend Poll.

It's a great time to buy because...

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  April 13, 2009; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Buying , The market  | Tags: Realtor, great time to buy a home, housing market, real estate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Holiday at Home and the Weekend Poll
Next: Book Review: Reduce Debt, Reduce Stress

Comments

...the world as we know it is coming to and end. Don't be caught renting!

Posted by: filmlab | April 13, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

... you can remodel an older home for half the price. Contractors are twiddling their thumbs and will do the work for next to nothing.

(I'm not saying this is true, but I've heard it a few times.)

Posted by: cynthiapang | April 13, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

if you don't buy now you'll be priced out forever!

(still laughing at the people who fell for that one)

Posted by: jlp7t | April 17, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I was so mad at NAR for their "Great Time to Buy" advertisements in 2006.

I think Realtors need to get out of the "selling you on buying" business.

Buyers should buy when they want to buy and a Realtor can help them AFTER they made that decision. They shouldn't be the ones pushing their clients with all this BS.

Frank
Broker FranklyRealty.com

Posted by: frank26 | April 18, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

rates are near all-time lows, foreclosures and short sales can be had for 30%-70% of original price, there's tons of free money incentives too.

Posted by: aaronmd | April 20, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

...less competition in bidding, you can negiotiate major seller concessions, and a lower price.

Posted by: harrybaksh | April 20, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse