Local Address: May 10, 2009 - May 16, 2009

Foghorn Leghorn in the Yard; Weekend Reading

know this will draw clucks from folks who think I'm not nearly as earthy as I ought to be, but I'm glad there aren't chickens roosting in my neighborhood. I figure if your neighbors are close enough to know you're keeping them, then you probably shouldn't have them.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  May 15, 2009; 6:00 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (0)
Categories:  Buying , Funny , Home features , Outdoors , Remodeling and repair , Weekend Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz

Recovery Could Bring a Flood of Listings

If the real estate market showed real signs of coming back to life, would you put your home up for sale? According to a new survey released by the Zillow realty web site, about 32 percent of homeowners said they would be at least somewhat likely to do so. And Zillow officials said if there really is that much pent-up supply out there, it could seriously weigh down the eventual housing recovery.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  May 14, 2009; 6:00 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (3)
Categories:  Selling , Statistics , The economy , The market , Weekend Poll

Beware Dated Housing Stats

"Anyone here from Northern Virginia?" asked Tom Lawler, founder of Lawler Economic & Consulting in Vienna. He was one of the panelists in that marathon economic summit meeting that Realtors held at the Marriott Wardman Park yesterday. "Northern Virginia is actually starting to bottom," he said. He warned participants that all the home-price indexes rely on dated information.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  May 13, 2009; 6:00 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (4)
Categories:  Statistics , The economy , The market

Market Up, or Down, Or?

Check back through the day for updates filed from the National Association of Realtors' daylong economic summit. We're in the Marriott Wardman Park's giant ballroom, and through the day we'll hear from former Labor Secretary Robert Reich, Havard's Eric Belsky and Martin Feldstein, the Wharton School's Susan Wachter, former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan, Carnegie Mellon University's Allan Meltzer and others, roughly in that order.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  May 12, 2009; 9:18 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (3)
Categories:  Buying , Foreclosure , Mortgages , Selling , The economy , The market

Are Matchmaking Sites the Future?

I just spent a while playing around with a new realty web site, Findbuyers.com, launched by Washington-area real estate agent Eldad Moraru. It's a free matchmaking site that invites buyers to enter the specifics about the type of home they seek (the usual condo/house/townhouse, bedrooms/baths and price and location questions). Buyers can then be matched with homes that meet their criteria, and buyer and seller can communicate anonymously from there. I can't say the site wowed me with its usefulness. But I am starting to wonder seriously if non-brokerage, matchmaking sites like Findbuyers and Zillow might be the template for the future.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  May 11, 2009; 4:54 PM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (2)
Categories:  Buying , Selling , The market

Hope on Two Axles

spotted a delightful sign of springtime rejuvenation in my neighborhood over the weekend--a delivery truck. And it was a furniture delivery truck, no less, from a rather nice store. Driving around the vehicle, it occurred to me that it's been months and month since I've seen trucks delivering anything more substantial than the daily mail. Discretional spending on the home! It felt like I was seeing an old pal after a long absence.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  May 11, 2009; 6:00 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (0)