Bills That Go Up, and The Weekend Poll

I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend: Poring over my telephone and cable TV bills looking for ways to cut them down to size. I just got a notice that our FIOS bundle would be rising by about 10 bucks a month. Also, since we recently beefed up mobile-phone service for the family, we just don't need some of the old land-line services such as voice mail. At least with all the expensive wireless technology around our house, I can do my cost-cutting from the comfort of the patio. Enjoy your weekend, and if you can save a buck while doing so, good for you!

Weekend reading: In this Saturday's real estate section, we'll have a story about how buyers can handle a seller's request for a financial disclosure form --before they've even arrived at a final price.

The Weekend Poll

This is a non-scientific user poll. Results are not statistically valid and cannot be assumed to reflect the views of Washington Post users as a group or the general population.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  July 31, 2009; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Home features , Poll , Weekend Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Geography of Distress
Next: Do High-Voltage Lines Zap Property Values?

Comments

HOw long have you been with FIOS? More than a year and no contract obligations?
Okay go online and find out what Directv and DISH are offering? Now you cable company. Call Verizon and say hi I would really like to remain a FIOS customer but
I can save $243.57 a year with DISH and $256.37 a year with Directv. And if I go with cable I can save $213.23. What can you do to keep me as a customer? I am sorry that isn't good enough you are offering new subscribers whatever there current deal is? If you still don't get
an offer you like ask to speak to a supervisor. Now the downside is you are committed for a year with early termination fees but you can save $10 to 25 a month off your Verizon bill. Everything in life is negotiable except for the stupidity of lawyers!

Posted by: sheepherder | July 31, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Well, I don't have cable or internet, and my cell phone costs $100 a year. I have kids who don't have cell phones, and I haven't moved over into the cell phone only world, so most people who want to reach me use my landline. I am not yet prepared to live entirely without electricity either. I do think I could probably scout around for cheaper phone services, but I don't have any extras anyway, so while any savings is good, there is only so far I can go. I am also looking at ways to use less electricity, but I that is motivated more by a concern for the environment than by a thought that it would make an appreciable difference to my budget.

I've been working on spending less on food.

Posted by: janedoe5 | July 31, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

What about your newspaper subscription? :)

Posted by: subwayguy | July 31, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey there, subwayguy, since you brought it up....I LIKE my newspaper subscription. I liked it long before I came to work for a newspaper. I read online and on paper--they're different experiences. Sure, a news addiction is an occupational hazard for me, but I even like the ads. And I buy a subscription even though I get a copy free every day when I walk into work. It's the last thing I'll cut from the budget.

Posted by: Erazzi | July 31, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Since we're adding our suggestions to the list...I've found that food is, by far, my single largest expense. Dramatically cutting back on eating out as well as making sure to eat everything I've bought at the grocery store/only buy what I know I'll eat have helped me tighten the budget.

Posted by: LisaChristine88 | August 3, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse