I Dream of Boxes: Three Moves in One Week

My eyes have been opened to the junk that surrounds me. And I vow to get rid of it.

Three moves, albeit small ones, over the course of one week are doing me in. My family moved our eldest, affectionately known as One (Mom misspoke one day and the name stuck), into a college sorority house last weekend. An upcoming renovation of the Post's newsroom forced me into the Great Migration to temporary workspace. (A real estate agent might call our tiny new work space a "jewel box.") And this weekend our youngest, Two, moves into a college dormitory. Each is a transition from big space to small space, forcing decisions about which belongings are important, and which aren't worth the space they occupy.

I'm realizing that a lot of the stuff around my home falls into the latter category, and I promise to lighten the load throughout the fall. If you've gone through a successful de-junking and re-prioritizing of your belongings, please, share your stories with the blog. There's always room for good ideas. And they pack well.

By Elizabeth Razzi  |  August 27, 2009; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Home features
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Appraisers Say 'Don't Blame Us'
Next: Protecting Your Identity and the Weekend Poll

Comments

You don't look old enough (in your picture) to have children in college!

Posted by: mccxxiii | August 27, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

That's one good thing about renting and moving around a lot, while I hate moving itself, I adore sorting through stuff and getting rid of things we don't need.

If our short-sale purchase works out one thing I really won't miss though is all the original boxes for our kitchen stuff. It's been a great and safe way to pack for each move, but man they take up a lot of space. Perhaps they'll just end up in the attic though...

Posted by: kingstowne_renter | August 27, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

You haven't really done this until you've downsized a 3,000 sq ft single family home + a 2,100 sq ft townhouse, combined them & moved into a 1,350 sq ft condo. Which is what we've been doing this past month. THAT's downsizing *g* Some stuff goes to the kids for their places, some stuff gets donated to Goodwill, some stuff replaces other stuff out in our WV cabin, and a lot of it sits in storage waiting for us to sift through and decide what is really special enough to keep and what needs to go. The hardest stuff to part with is the stuff from the kids' childhoods -- but then who, really, ever looks at their old report cards? And as far as all those old boxes/screws/containers/gift bags that you hang on to because you might need them "someday" -- it's cheaper to buy new ones than to rent a storage unit.

Posted by: johnsondeb | August 27, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

What you realize is how much stuff you don't need and what's important and how our society in the USA is so materialistic and bases things on what you own vs quality of living.

My friends always joke that I move every 2 years...but hey, if I get a free months rent on a 1 year lease, whats the big deal about moving a bed, couch, chair, tv and table and some boxes of clothes and other kitchen things for like $100 to rent a truck and buying some pizza for friends.

The one thing this economy is going to do is make people realize how much junk they have and how they can get by without all this unnecessary purchases.

Posted by: cavatellie | August 27, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh de-cluttering... LOVE IT, especially when is someone else's things, but I've done my share at home too. I helped my boyfriend declutter and purge most of his stuff before we merged into my condo. Work is not finished yet, but now we've merged, we can attack sections at a time. It is hard at the beginning but once you get in the groove you can even make it fun... Having someone else ask you the "Why would you need/want *that*?" or "Really?" type of questions is also very helpful. Sometimes even their faces say it all. Ah, a glass of good wine also makes it much more fun!

Posted by: GuiS | August 27, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, everybody. So, what I need is some wine, an honest friend (which they all are!) and a more recent photo...

Posted by: Erazzi | August 27, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse