Posted at 8:24 AM ET, 04/30/2010

$1K reward in possum death

By Washington Post editors

A female possum was killed in an alley off 16th Street in Northeast D.C on Tuesday when someone smashed her over and over again with bricks, WTOP's Kate Ryan reports.

The possum was carrying 10 babies in her pouch, looking for food.

The Washington Humane Society is out to catch her killer.

"On a personal level, it infuriates me, because this was a mother just trying to survive in our environment," says Scott Giacoppo, vice president of external affairs and chief programs officer at the Washington Humane Society.

Ironically, the Washington Humane Society had just announced a new program designed to help D.C. residents handle wildlife situations, like bats nesting in attics, or raccoons carrying kits under porches.

The Washington Humane Society is offering a $1,000 reward in the case. If you have any information that could help solve this case, call 202-BE-HUMANE.

By Washington Post editors  | April 30, 2010; 8:24 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Va. judge dismisses flooding lawsuit
Next: Report: D.C. police guns poorly secured

Comments

I think kids are being influenced by games like SUPER SMASH POSSUM and POSSUM CRUSHERS ONLINE. Parents need to teach their kids the difference between fiction and reality.

Posted by: steampunk | April 30, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I didn't know such games existed.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | April 30, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Very disturbing. Always despised any "human" who takes pleasure in harming what they view as weak and helpless. I've read about a connection between torturing animals at a young age and becoming a serial killer later. Whoever did it should have bricks smashed against various body parts. See how they like it. Finish it off by shoving a brick up the keister.

Posted by: red2million | April 30, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

We know who the mindless animals are.

Posted by: jckdoors | April 30, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I hope they catch the person. Opposums can be vicious, and often carry rabies, but that's no reason to go out of your way to torture them to death. This kind of thing makes me sick.

Posted by: akchild | April 30, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Why not kill a thug or a gang member? What has the possum ever done to you?

People are the scum of the earth. There are too many of us & too few animals. Time to thin the human herd.

Posted by: uncivil | April 30, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I fully support cruelty toward possums. They are filthy, disgusting, and spread disease. Too many teeth, not enough tail fur.

Posted by: Tex21 | April 30, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

This makes me so sad, as does the senseless killing of any defenseless animal. I heard about this on the radio yesterday while I was driving home, and I nearly started to cry. How sad that we have come to this in our society. I hope they catch the person/people responsible. I didn't know about those video games either.... what a waste of time and brain power.

Posted by: Fairfaxresident3 | April 30, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tex21 | April 30, 2010 11:31 AM

I'm sure possums feel the same way about you.

Posted by: GP04 | April 30, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if such outrage would exist if someone killed a rat in the same manner.

Posted by: pswift00 | April 30, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I hope they find the scum that did this and smash them with bricks.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | April 30, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow... it's a possum... who cares

Posted by: rockettonu | April 30, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Seriously? These animals are killed all the time around the country. These are rodents that carry disease and, if you capture, will tear into you. Yes, no one should torture any animal, but I'm not losing any sleep over this one. Only in DC would there be such a fuss...no one cares about the huge rats that get poisoned, trapped, and killed each day. Give me a break!! Oh wait the reward is for that law DC passed a year or so ago that makes it against the law to kill rodents. I guess our tax dollars need to go to prosecute this rodent killer....ugh.

Posted by: DCJUSTICE | April 30, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

He who is without sin should cast the first stone; or in this case he who has never killed a rodent before is free to comment!

Posted by: VoiceofReason77 | April 30, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I seem to be one of the minorities here but I have no liking for opossum. Some people have mentioned that they carry diseases and can be pretty nasty. You would think you'd have something better to post. I tell you what...I'll trap about 10-13 and ship them up to DC to make up for your loss. How'd that be? They're a nasty little critter and SHOULDN'T be touring DC.

Posted by: marc1only | April 30, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

to marc1only:

Whether or not opossums carry deseases or not it was an inhumane and brutal act to take a life that way. Today an opossum, tomorrow a cat, next week a toddler!

Posted by: MizLadee | April 30, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

wait, I hit a possum last year w/ my car by accident, am I gonna get charged with vehicular marsupialslaughter?

Posted by: BurtReynolds1 | April 30, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I accidentally beat a possum to death in my back yard because I thought it was a rat. They look alot like rats. It wasn't until I looked up information on the internet that I figured out it was a possum. I felt really bad about it after I learned it was a possum.

Posted by: benjamin_watts | April 30, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

If I get bit by a possum, will there be a $1K reward to find the possum that bit me?

Posted by: BurtReynolds1 | April 30, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Sad and disturbing. Only a low life lives there. I'm not surprised. There is so much dog fighting in DC. People have no care for life there.

Posted by: FiatBooks | April 30, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Sad thing is, the possums life is worth more than the lives of many district residents.

At least the possum wasn't leaching off the gov't, like many people in DC.

Posted by: kenk3 | April 30, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Vermin are not worth a $1,000.00 reward. Get some real priorities!

Posted by: PepperDr | April 30, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

time to down alot of people in usa

Posted by: woods45 | May 3, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse