Posted at 7:29 PM ET, 03/26/2010

Authorities: 2 paramedics said alive man was dead

By Terri Rupar

Two paramedics in Prince George's County decided Friday that a man was dead, but more than an hour later he showed signs of life and was taken to a hospital, authorities said.

The incident was under investigation, a spokesman for the county fire and emergency medical services department said.

Originally, police in the town of Glenarden called for the fire department's help on a call about a “possible deceased person,”said Mark Brady, the fire department spokesman. In response, a paramedic unit went to a house in the 8600 block of Glenarden Parkway about noon and agreed that the man was dead, Brady said.

But, he said, about an hour and a half later, a police official asked that the fire department return to the house, where the man was showing signs of life. A different EMS unit was sent to the house and took the man to a hospital.

The two paramedics who decided that the man was dead were placed on a limited public contact status while the incident is investigated, Brady said.

--Martin Weil

By Terri Rupar  | March 26, 2010; 7:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Three teens injured in Upper Marlboro accident
Next: Police looking for escaped suspected burglar

Comments

Zombie.

Posted by: oldman3000 | March 26, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

When I die, I want to be REALLY dead before they do all that embalming stuff...I don't want them vacuuming out my guts with a sharp tube and I'm just sleeping...

Posted by: gbooksdc | March 26, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not dead yet!"

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | March 26, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Phew, glad he was not taken to the freezer in the coroner's.

Posted by: Danbauchi1 | March 26, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Soooo just what steps are taken to determine if a person has expired or not? And how can two "trained" paramedics come to the same conclusion and be so, so wrong. If it weren't so darned alarming I would be rolling on the floor laughing... (well ok I am rolling on the floor laughing). On in this area can such absurd stuff happen. Not one but two paramedics took one look at this person and said yep - dead, let's go home.

Posted by: wisewunn | March 26, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Glad brother man is Okay and alive. He will never live the same life again and hope he lives well though.
Now, you paramedics need training and courtesy to my peeeps in Glenarden and all of PGC,thank you for your service just get better and we can forgive your mistake.

Posted by: foxxmacpryor | March 26, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

They could have ruined this guy's whole day!

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | March 26, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"I'm feeling much better actually!"

Posted by: KidTJ | March 26, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

He was "mostly dead," not "all the way dead."

Posted by: papple | March 26, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

He was dead, but he is feeling MUCH MUCH better right now, Thank You Very Much!

Posted by: Robbnitafl | March 27, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse