Posted at 7:25 PM ET, 02/19/2011

One killed, 2 others shot in NW

By Clarence Williams and Martin Weil

Updated, 9:58 p.m.:
One person was killed and two others wounded Saturday night in a shooting incident in the Columbia Heights area of Northwest Washington, authorities said.

D.C. Council member Jim Graham (D-Ward 1) said the fatality was a female teenager.

"This is a brazen, mad thing," he said.

The shooting occurred about 7 p.m. in the 3000 block of Sherman Avenue, a D.C. police spokeswoman said.

Earlier: Three people were shot Saturday evening in a Northwest Washington neighborhood a few blocks from the Howard University campus.

The shooting occurred around 7 p.m. in the 700 block of Harvard Street NW. The address is between Georgia and Sherman Avenues, two or three blocks northwest of the campus.

Preliminary reports indicated that one of the three, apparently a young woman, was critically wounded.

By Clarence Williams and Martin Weil  | February 19, 2011; 7:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pr. George's firefighters called in
Next: Man dies in Md. police shooting

Comments

This street is an island of violence in an area that is pretty safe.

Posted by: Aerowaz | February 19, 2011 8:02 PM | Report abuse

It's been a pretty safe street too...

Posted by: glenoir | February 19, 2011 8:24 PM | Report abuse

wow, didn't know the 3000 block of Sherman Avenue constitutes a part of Columbia Heights! I guess its whatever it takes to keep the rent high..

Posted by: Just_An_Observer | February 19, 2011 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Just_An_Observer | February 19, 2011 11:31 PM | Report abuse

That's definitely not Columbia Heights or the one most people are familiar with.

Posted by: jbworldwide | February 20, 2011 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Of course it's Columbia Heights. It's 3 blocks from the Columbia Heights metro.

Sherman--> 11th-->13th-->14th (there is no "12th"). If someone lives on 4th & H Streets NW they would still live in Chinatown, correct? Even though that's 3 blocks from the Chinatown metro.

Posted by: troubledthecat | February 20, 2011 1:19 AM | Report abuse

The eastern border of Columbia Heights is common defined as either Sherman Ave or Georgia Ave. Look up CH on wikipedia, or see the North or South CH Civil Associations for confirmation.

But other than just being wrong, why are jbworldwide and Just_An_Observer commenting on geography and real estate tactics when a young girl has been killed? It's disturbing that this kind of minutia has to be discussed within 3 hours of a triple shooting.

Posted by: AJack9 | February 20, 2011 1:20 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I agree and was just about to re-post the same thing! It's tragic that this happened. I hope they catch whomever did it.

Posted by: troubledthecat | February 20, 2011 2:13 AM | Report abuse

It is so unbelievable that a young woman was killed and all that can be discussed is logistics of the crime. This child went to alocal High school, was on her way to a bright future in college and was gunned down and killed. This is a child that did not go home last night and whose family woke today without her in this world. I am a mother of three and this child was my daughters classmate in her AP english class and I am heartbroken. We as human beings really need to consider others as if they were our own especially in the case of the children of the world.

Truly sad

Posted by: godangel1 | February 20, 2011 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I've said it before annd I'll say it again. Columbia Heights is a war zone. It is the puss pimple on the complexion of the city, filled with toxins and ready to burst at any time. Stay in your car, do not go off of 14th Street.

Posted by: SoCali | February 20, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I am confused. Is this one of two separate fatal shootings in one night in Columbia Heights?

Posted by: SoCali | February 20, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

It appears that 4 people were shot in Columbia Heights in just one evening.

Posted by: SoCali | February 20, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I grew up on Sherman Avenue. It's definitely NOT Columbia Heights. The upper part is Petworth. The lower part is Shaw. And it's been a war zone for 40 years.

Posted by: TripLBee | February 20, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"This is a brazen, mad thing," Graham said.

Wow! The insight provided by Jim "Miss Marple" Graham is truly mind-boggling! He races around Ward 1 in that VW Beetle convertible every time crime with media coverage emerges to show his constituents he's on top of things. Too bad it really shows he's got a lot of time on his hands - making 6 figures off a p-t job no less. He really needs to step up his sound bites - or just show up as Miss Marple drag already.

Posted by: lipschitzantwon | February 20, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering what all the police activity was about Saturday night (and into Sunday morning in fact). I live about a block away from there.

Posted by: df540148 | February 21, 2011 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Truly sad

My heart goes out to the families affected by this tragedy.

Posted by: dcrestaxpyrnmom | February 21, 2011 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Gun control kills. If DC would enact commonsense gun permit laws ($50, no criminal record, you get a permit for ten years) then over time, not overnight but over time, the crime rate in DC would drop to levels unseen since 1920. As more and more people got permits, then the criminals would have to think a few more times before launching a bullet. Right now, they can shoot up a place and pretty much know that no one will be able to shoot back! Let decent citizens have guns for the same reasons cops do - to protect themselves and others!

Posted by: cfan1 | February 21, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Real men do not shoot people. How about having a discussion to work things out so that no one dies or go to jail for the rest of there lives... This is a dang shame... this is why I moved from DC... oops I forgot this drama is everywhere because the middle class dumb teenagers like to emulate thugs so there is no running from the foolishness

Posted by: pusha-d | February 21, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Shootings like this happen everywhere. It never ceases to amaze me how insecure and reactive young people can be. My heart goes out to this young girl's family. I will lift them up in prayer.

Posted by: brandip_77 | February 21, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Columbia Heights is a ghetto. Some developers hyped up the area by building some decent looking condos on 14 street and yuppies overpaid for it. Sad.

Posted by: jab00 | February 21, 2011 8:35 PM | Report abuse