Posted at 1:27 PM ET, 05/ 9/2010

43 arrested on drug charges in St. Mary's

By Washington Post Editors

Authorities in St. Mary's County have arrested 43 people on drug charges after a three-day operation that targeted dealers of cocaine, marijuana, PCP, heroin and prescription drugs.

The sweep was called “Operation May Flower” and resulted in several search warrants being executed. Among the homes searched was the Hollywood residence of 52-year-old Francis Barnes, who's accused of dealing PCP.

Many of the suspects arrested are from Mechanicsville, where police nabbed several suspects who tried to elude officers.

Several Lexington Park residents were also taken into custody.

--Associated Press

By Washington Post Editors  | May 9, 2010; 1:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Serious crashes leave 2 dead, 3 hurt
Next: Post-prom crash kills Va. teen, injures 4

Comments

43 that number is awfully high...hope they have concrete evidence or else many of them will beat the charges which would be a waste of manpower and money...

Will be interesting to see how many are indicted and found guilty...

Posted by: pentagon40 | May 9, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

1 out of every 54 American adult males is in jail today.

Glad to see the cops are continuing to do their part to keep America the biggest prison nation in the world.

Posted by: kcx7 | May 9, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Man someone's going to have trouble copping in St. Mary's for at least a couple days

Posted by: fleeciewool | May 9, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

It sounds like St. Marys County is/was getting out of hand with dope. It looks the police dept is trying which is more then I can say for DC.

Posted by: sjp879 | May 9, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Meh. Somebody had to supply all the bored suburban kids trapped down there. When are they going to round up all of their parents for building WMD?

Posted by: m1232 | May 10, 2010 3:48 AM | Report abuse

Now we can send the juveniles charged to places like this, Governor. Let me tell you something as a white boy ... until you've been locked up in one of those Maryland Juvenile torture cottages, no words could express, or convey the kind of animals that lurk behind those doors. I was a 17 year old middle class white boy who violated probation for breaking into a house. Montgomery Judge Alfred Noyes sent me up for an indefinite period to Maryland Trading School-Cub Hill, now Charles H. Hickey Jr. School in Baltimore County which is Cheltenham’s sister school. I was jumped several times by 4 and 5 of Baltimore City's finest. I was beaten trying to protect my rear-end. Being a paper boy, I was in great physical shape. The bleeding from both eyes couldn't be stopped for several hours in the clinic. I saw so many young white boys "go under".
An independent monitor faulted the juvenile justice department for not following past recommendations to reduce cases of assault and abuse. The report said further that there has been a "lack of cooperation" between investigating entities responsible for looking into incidents of abuse involving youths in the state juvenile detention center. "The level of abuse is simply grotesque," said Stacey Gurian-Sherman, who is director of JJ Fair, a community-based advocacy group for children that is based in Takoma Park.
I was released after I turned 18. From there I went to Vietnam .... I don't know which place was the worst, but I still remember the names of the animals who molested me. The governor said he closed it down, but it's not totally closed down. There’s a holding facility, and a sex rehabilitation center (what a coincidence) still located there. Because Maryland lacks residential treatment programs, many youths remain at Hickey and other detention centers for months while state officials try to find places in or out of state that will take them.

Posted by: reesemichael | May 10, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

tks for yr service in 'Nam, reese.

gripping story til I got to the part that this occured in the 60-70s! did u ever do break-ins again? does yr naming the judge feel good? does yr sad story have ANY current relevance?

society considers male rape part of the punishment process in the USA. hence, SOME drug laws should be liberalized, since the taxpayer will never increase corrections budgets. just witness CA...

Posted by: mloaks | May 10, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I think eesemichael's story does have a lot of relevance even though it happened many years ago. consider the statistic kcx7 brings up (1 out of every 54 American adult males is in jail today).
we are jailing entirely too many people in this country today.
it's past time to end the war against drugs, and time to provide treatment for drug abusers and treat drug use as the health issue it is.

Posted by: MarilynManson | May 10, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

PCP ain't nothing but wood hardener.

Posted by: mlombre69 | May 10, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

PCP ain't nothing but wood hardener.

Posted by: mlombre69 | May 10, 2010 12:12 PM

=============================
Actually a wood preservative. It was used in ALL military munitions crates and wooden pallets until the late 1990's.

Just handeling wood pallets from this era will make you test POSITIVE for PCP.

Posted by: georgethornton1 | May 10, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Damn.... now there's gunna be a drout!

Posted by: rockettonu | May 10, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse