Posted at 3:07 PM ET, 03/ 6/2010

8-year-old brings gun to Baltimore school

By Washington Post Editors

An 8-year-old elementary school student was arrested after he threatened a classmate and police at his Baltimore school found a loaded handgun in his backpack.

Authorities arrested the third-grader at Sharp-Leadenhall Elementary School on Thursday. The small Baltimore school is for special-needs children. It does not have metal detectors. School officials say the boy was “acting suspiciously,” which led to the search of his backpack.

The boy was charged as a juvenile with handgun possession.
Police are now trying to find the gun's owner and could consider charges against adults who may have allowed him to obtain the gun.

--Associated Press

By Washington Post Editors  | March 6, 2010; 3:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Va. police to crack down on speeders this weekend
Next: Rockville soldier dies in Afghanistan

Comments

Would this have been a crime in Virginia? I doubt it.

Posted by: TJ1743 | March 6, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I wonder what color he's black? Also, I wonder if he comes from a two parent family?

Posted by: msg8568 | March 6, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

msg8568:

Gee, I wonder what color is the man who drove from California to Virginia to shoot up the Pentagon? White?

Don't be ignorant. Every race, culture and ethnicity has a criminal element.

Posted by: brandip_77 | March 6, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

It's Baltimore. Did he also bring his prostitutes?

Posted by: FiatBooks | March 6, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I wish this website had an easy to use button to flag obnoxious racist comments. On the other hand, it's not good to pretend these idiots don't exist.

Meanwhile, I am checking my kids' backpacks again. I need to have them fitted for their new Kevlar vests as well.

Posted by: staticvars | March 6, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse