Posted at 10:52 AM ET, 03/27/2010

Md. House passes bill on child support payments

By Washington Post Editors

The Maryland House of Delegates has voted for legislation that would change guidelines used to set child support payments.

The House voted 119-21 on Saturday for the changes — the first in more than 20 years.

The Senate also has passed a bill to change the guidelines, but there are some differences that will have to be worked out between the two bills.

The House would implement the changes in October 2011, instead of October of this year.
The House also would give judges a scale for payments based on combined income between two parents of up to $15,000. Current law recommends a scale for up to $10,000. The Senate measure would raise the scale for up to $30,000 in combined income.

By Washington Post Editors  | March 27, 2010; 10:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Police looking for escaped suspected burglar
Next: Metro to stage emergency drills

Comments

This is a complete joke. Trying to collect child support payments from a fatherless welfare thug is impossible.

Posted by: tjhall1 | March 27, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Tjhall, child support can be paid by a man, woman,or a divorced parent not all child support cases involved a thug...get your head out you ass and think for once!

Posted by: bobby20 | March 27, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

As economic analysts have noted, child support levels in Maryland are too high, and the bill is wrong to increase them:

"Under the child support guidelines, child support already goes up along with income, since child support is based on income -- the higher your income, the higher your child support obligations. Child costs like toys are rising slower than costs in general."

At the following link is a lawyer's detailed explanation of why Maryland's child support schedule is too high already and doesn't need an increase:

www.examiner.com/x-7812-DC-SCOTUS-Examiner~y2010m2d5-Child-Support-Bill-Would-Increase-Already-Excessive-Obligations-Based-on-Erroneous-Rationale

As one commenter noted, "The child support increase bill selectively ignores actual child costs, as its Fiscal and Policy Note unintentionally reveals. On page 3, it says, 'The Child Support Guidelines Advisory Committee found that in applying current estimates of child-rearing expenditures across the board for all incomes, there was a higher percentage increase to incomes below $10,000 and a lower percentage increase to incomes above $10,000.' Yet, 'the committee applied the 'average' increase in award amounts for incomes below $10,000 to those incomes above $10,000.'"

Posted by: sampere1 | March 27, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Use raincoats,think about consequences during the sexual copulation not after.
And yes all child support payments are not owed by thugs more lawyers/doctors/accountants/real estate agents/IT peeps/police/politicians/preachers come to mind first based on conversations and my survey of thousands of parents.

Posted by: foxxmacpryor | March 27, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Sad.

What use is upping the paments if there's noone to pay?
20% of folks don't have a job these days as it is.

It's all smoke and mirrors. My ex WIFE owes me $80,000.00+ in child support but Maryland never even TRIED to collect a penny.

"Why you messin' wiff dat girl?" I was asked by a P.G. County clerk. "She on Welfare and you gots a job, why aint you payin' her?"

Yeah, every time I tracked her down, (The County did nothing) she quit her job and went on Welfare, Food Stamps, WIC, Housing assistance etc. She was living better than us but never paid a cent in support.
Bet your ash if it was me I'd be locked up or on Americas Most Wanted.

Posted by: Etek | March 27, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

ONLY DEMOCRATS DON'T PAY THEIR CHILD SUPPORT.

Posted by: twotimetuna | March 27, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

As a single parent who has been through the MD system to recover child support from my Republican, active duty military ex-husband I am glad to see some revisions. Now if they can actually do something about enforcement. The military did not honor my garnishment, his command refused to help me so I was on my own. All different walks of life don’t pay their child support! There are tons of deadbeats regardless of gender, race, custody status or any other classification!

Posted by: newbie3 | March 27, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

newbie3..then something very wrong has happened in your case. The reason I say that is because after 20 years on active duty, and a SrNCO, I had many troops under my supervision have court ordered child support garnishments/judgements. This I can say is one the the military frowns upon, failure of child and dependant care responsibilities. You need to contact the JAG office at your exhusbands command and get them involved. If this is court ordered, the military is just like any other "employer", they must abide by the order of the court.

Posted by: Frankie58 | March 27, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

newbie3: He is right as a retire SNCO from the Air Force if you have a court authorized ordered the military have to abide by that order...so you need to persue this with your EXs JAG.

Posted by: mgartrell | March 28, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Make those receiving payments account for how the money is spent.

Posted by: jckdoors | March 29, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse