Posted at 1:33 PM ET, 05/22/2010

Bowie activates new speed cameras

By Washington Post Editors

Speed cameras are being activated in some school zones in Bowie and have started issuing tickets.

The cameras were installed in April near Northview Elementary School and began with warning citations. Now, a 30-day warning period has expired. Violators face $40 fines.

The cameras catch drivers going 12 mph over the posted speed limit between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m.

--Associated Press

By Washington Post Editors  | May 22, 2010; 1:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Car runs into Capitol Hill living room
Next: Man shot nine times in Dundalk

Comments

Money making machines. It's all about revenue, they can care less about the children.

A pimping in process.

Posted by: Special_One40 | May 22, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

You are 100% correct. Unfortunately those idiots in Annapolis are not smart enough to see that also.

Posted by: gpl2411 | May 22, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Money making machines or not, Montgomery County's program has demonstrated that speed cameras actually reduce speeds. Bottomline: They won't make one dime if people can control themselves enough to drive no more than 12 mph over the limit through a school zone for a 14 hour period each day Monday through Friday.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 22, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

You poor SOBs. In today's world your government sees you and everyone in your county as just another revenue collection device.

End this insanity - vote all these people out of office come November.

Posted by: b1978367 | May 22, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I got a warning ticket from the new speed camera in Bowie. It is completely erroneous - I knew the camera was there. I was never going above 32 mph on that road or anywhere near it. It said I was going 43. It's a warning so I guess it doesn't matter, but they are doing something wrong.

Posted by: AB727 | May 23, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | May 23, 2010 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Northview Drive is sometimes like Indy not mention the fools on 197. The matter was raised by the city when the school first opened. The majority students are walkers. Its the idiots not living in the school boundary rushing thier kids putting others
in harms way. Unlike the rest the county "gangster" local government. The City of Bowie is putting public safety first.

Posted by: largo | May 23, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"Its the idiots not living in the school boundary rushing thier kids putting others
in harms way."

It kinda doesn't matter if you're doing 40 or 35 if you hit a kid with a car. 12MPH over 25 is 37MPH.

Take a class in basic physics.
The only difference is that you will have slightly more time to react when a kid walks out into the street in front of you.

Posted by: dubya1938 | May 23, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

"Bowie police say drivers can expect more speed cameras in school zones in coming months."

You can pretty-much expect more speed cameras in the state of Md, in fact nationwide, "in the coming months" LOL

That's why there are numerous websites that will link into your GPS navigator and warn you when you are approaching one.

Posted by: dubya1938 | May 23, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"I have found that since I started observing the speed limit, I stopped getting tickets."

At least not speeding tickets LOL

What about your other abysmal driving habits? :)

""The city of Portland, in their own documents they sent to me, said they don't know how accurate their own photo red light cameras are right now.""

Posted by: dubya1938 | May 23, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Level-headed, rational perspective: Speed cameras make money because people don't observe the speed limits. You have more time to react if a kid runs into the street and you are forced to drive slower, and a split second can make a difference.

Libertarian "world-revolves-around-me" perspective: It's outrageous the government thinks it can tell me how fast I can drive! I should be allowed to do 100mph in a school zone! That's what our founding fathers would have wanted! God Bless America! Ron Paul 2012!!!

Posted by: JTF- | May 23, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I mean, you can say this is all about making money and revenue, but I'm sure that's a motivation, but if it's the prime motivation they don't seem to be doing well. The cameras are obvious, not hidden. And there were several signs around town stating they were there. Plus the aforementioned 30-day warning period. Doesn't seem like they are trying to "trick" people into paying fines. If you get a speeding ticket from one of those cameras, you really have no one but yourself to blame.

Posted by: grimesman | May 23, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

learnedhand1, there has been no decrease in the number of accidents in Montgomery, so the end result is that no difference in public safety has been realized and people are denied their due process.

Posted by: reiflame1 | May 23, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

reiflame1, I said that MoCo's cameras have "reduced speeds." In any case, you're wrong. Read the MoCo Council's staff report. How is there a denial of due process? Ticketed drivers can challenge the ticket in court the same way they could if they were ticketed by an officer.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 23, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

They don't ticket people until they go 12 mph over the speed limit IN A SCHOOL ZONE? I thought school zones were a zero tolerance section. The only people complaining about this should be those who are outraged that drivers are allowed to almost double the speed limit in a school zone.

Posted by: beatduke10 | May 24, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Call me weird, but at the ripe old age of 31, I have found that by followiing posted speed limits and paying attention while I'm driving, I have not received any tickets. so if you think this is a money making scheme and don't want to shell out the cash...don't speed.

Posted by: wilson78 | May 24, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

This seem like way too little to really adjust drivers behavior, the fines are too small to really get peoples attention and only school zones on certain hours? It's good to make people feel like they are doing something, but if you really want to make our roads safer we need TONS of cameras - we can't put a cop on every street corner, but we can put a camera at every intersection. Once drivers realize they WILL get caught they WILL adjust their driving habits, the the number of traffic collisions (I can't call it an "accident" when if comes from reckless behavior) drop.

Posted by: estuartj | May 24, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Good for them. I'm all for it. It works in other cities, it will work here.

Posted by: lincolnprez | May 25, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

The cops are telling us how much you have to be speeding to get a ticket and everyone is claiming that this is for money generation? Give me a break! If it were really for money- then they would set it at 1 mile above the speed limit- not 12 and not tell everyone what the threshold was.

Posted by: Jooners1 | May 25, 2010 1:18 AM | Report abuse

we've been warned. Besides who doesn't slow down in a school zone?

Posted by: YoDave | May 25, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

VERY HAPPY! If you are speeding you should get a ticket. 12 miles over the limit seems like to much to me. Especially in a school zone!

Posted by: dq1153 | May 26, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

heed the speed my friends and all will be well

Posted by: YumYum1 | May 26, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I think it makes perfect sense to put these cameras in school zones. They make people slow down and we need it desperately by our schools.

Posted by: gedgar | May 28, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse