Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
Posted at 7:09 PM ET, 01/16/2010

Boy treated for hypothermia after going to dog's aid

By Terri Rupar

A boy was treated for hypothermia yesterday Saturday after going to the aid of his dog, who had fallen through ice and into a pond, the Prince George’s County fire department said.

Mark Brady, a spokesman for the county fire and emergency medical services department, said the dog went onto the icy surface of the pond in the Largo area to chase birds. The dog fell through the ice and into the pond, in the rear of townhouses in the 10100 block of Greenspire Way. The boy, who is 13, went to help the dog, but also fell through the ice and into the water.
Brady said both treaded water before managing to get out of the pond on their own. Firefighters, who were called around 4 p.m., treated the boy for hypothermia, then took him to a hospital for further treatment, Brady said.

The dog’s condition could not be learned immediately.

Brady warned that any body of water covered by ice should be considered dangerous and should not be approached.

--Martin Weil

(NOTE: Time reference corrected at 7:38 p.m.)

By Terri Rupar  | January 16, 2010; 7:09 PM ET
 
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md. officials downplay report of BWI sale
Next: Md. man trapped in earthquake comes home

No comments have been posted to this entry.

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2011 The Washington Post Company