Processing plant in Cheverly evacuated
About 100 employees were evacuated from the Smithfield Packaging Co. in Cheverly early Tuesday because of an ammonia leak, fire officials said.
The refrigeration system in the food-packaging company started leaking about 12:15 a.m., releasing an irritant into the air. It took fire officials about four hours to get the leak under control, said Mark Brady, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department.
Read more about the evacuation on The Post's Crime Scene blog.