Posted at 11:29 AM ET, 08/19/2010

Board suspends Md. doctor's license

By Washington Post editors

A longtime Frederick pediatrician had his medical license suspended last week after an investigation found that he had frequently prescribed high doses of oxycontin, the Frederick News-Post reports.

In a 38-page order signed Aug. 12, the Maryland State Board of Physicians suspended the license of Nicola M. Tauraso. The order said Tauraso often prescribed hundreds of tablets of narcotics, including oxycontin and oxycodone, for young men in their 20s and early 30s "who appeared healthy and didn't appear to be terminally ill."

According to the report, some area pharmacies stopped filling prescriptions written by Tauraso after suspicions arose about his practice.

Read more from the Frederick News-Post.

By Washington Post editors  | August 19, 2010; 11:29 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: JMU changes reporting policy on drinking
Next: D.C. man convicted of child abuse

Comments

"Here's to feeling good all the time."

Posted by: 123cartoon | August 19, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

As someone who comes from a family of many doctors, I'm glad to see a dirty, greedy doc go down the tubes.

Posted by: FiatBooks | August 19, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I met this clown once while working in Frederick. He was the single most egotistical, self absorbed fool I've met in my professional life.
Not at all shocking and I hope he pays dearly. Like the illegal drugs are not enough of a battle you have someone who is supposed to be helping care for the public handing out narcotic painkillers like Tic Tacs.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | August 19, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I was hooked on that poison for several years, really really hard to break the addiction. Store bought heroin, I guess it would be good for terminal cases, but not much else. Kids do start off eating them like Tic Tacs, and are in over their head before they know it. I hope they make an example of this Cold Cruel Apathetic S.O.B.

Posted by: JadedCynic | August 19, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I have known this shady character for at least 10 years. He was shady when he ran his restaurant, he treated his employees like crap, then decided to up and sell his restaurant (quickly might I add and run to Panama, almost like he was running from the IRS). Then after 2 years, come back and start his medical business back up. It was only a matter of time before he was caught. Read the report, it gives more detail than this will ever do. $300 cash per visit, 20-50 patients per day? You do the math. i hope the FBI and IRS are contacted. The media should dig deep into this characters life and past, I bet you will find a slew of illegal activities, like paying his restaurant employee's under the table to refrain from paying taxes, hiring illegal immigrants at his home and restaurant. Those aren't speculations, those are facts and those facts have been reported already to the authorities. Frederick will be a safer place once this legalized drug lord is behind bars.

Posted by: dumbarse | August 21, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse