Posted at 6:21 AM ET, 01/14/2011

Fatal accident closes Canal Rd.

By Debbi Wilgoren and Mark Berman

Canal Road is closed between Arizona Avenue and Foxhall Road in Northwest Washington Friday morning because of an accident that left two people dead, police said.

WRC-TV (Channel 4) reports that a car skidded on a patch of ice and plowed into an oncoming pickup truck around 5 a.m. Two people inside the skidding vehicle were killed, D.C. police said. Although Canal Road -- a major commuter artery into Washington--is one-way eastbound starting at 6:45 a.m., the collision occurred while the thoroughfare was still open to traffic in both directions.

Canal Road likely will be closed throughout the morning rush hour, authorities said. Eastbound traffic is being diverted onto Reservoir Road and westbound traffic is being diverted to Foxhall Road.

For the latest on morning traffic conditions, go to Dr. Gridlock.

By Debbi Wilgoren and Mark Berman  | January 14, 2011; 6:21 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland, Traffic and Transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Standoff ends in Calvert County
Next: Ch. 4: 1 dead in Manassas shooting

Comments

Really an "accident"? It's already been proven that there was no negligence or other criminality? There was a "crash." Let the investigators determine if it was an "accident".

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | January 14, 2011 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Water has been backing up on that road every day for almost 2 years (as long as I've been traveling it). Every day, yes every day on the outbound lane, cars have to drive through 3-4 large puddles of water in below freezing temperature!!! No wonder there is ice on the road. Even if it hasn't rained or snowed for days the water will still be there. This makes me so upset that someone died because the city was too lazy to fix this issue.

Posted by: pallni | January 14, 2011 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pallni | January 14, 2011 7:29 AM | Report abuse

The boreaucrat comment is really stupid. If you're going to be really niggling like that, then he/she should have put the final period inside the quotation mark.

More to the point, and as Pallni correctly notes, water accumulates in the westbound lanes even in the best of weather. When the temperature drops below freezing, those puddles turn to ice, obviously with lethal results. D. C. or the Park Service -- whoever is responsible for Canal Road -- HAS to address this chronic problem. Maybe now that two people have died as a result of the puddles, authorities will act.

Posted by: Greenmonkey | January 14, 2011 7:35 AM | Report abuse

The drainage on Canal Road is horrible. It is absolutely appalling that two people had to loose their lives for someone to finally take notice that this is a problem. This issue needs to be addressed immediately to prevent more families from loosing their loved ones due to outright negligance.

Posted by: Flyline98 | January 14, 2011 8:03 AM | Report abuse

The ice on Canal Road has been an ongoing issue throughout these winter months (never mind the water that accumulates during the spring).This road is frequently closed due to rain, so I can’t imagine that city officials are unaware of the problem. According to an eye witness report, the passengers of the vehicle hit the ice and skidded into the inbound traffic lane. Assuming this is true, I'm just curious as to how many MORE people have to DIE before officials decide to fix the drainage issue on Canal Road.

Posted by: skichic1012 | January 14, 2011 8:33 AM | Report abuse

My guess is The Boreaucrat is a journalist student or someone who just graduated in journalism.

Posted by: openreels | January 14, 2011 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: openreels | January 14, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

The ice on Canal Road has been an ongoing issue throughout these winter months (never mind the water that accumulates during the spring).This road is frequently closed due rain, so I can’t imagine that city officials are unaware of the problem. According to an eye witness report, the passengers of the vehicle hit the ice and skidded into the inbound traffic lane. Assuming this is true, I'm just curious as to how many MORE people have to DIE before officials decide to fix the drainage issue on Canal Road.

Posted by: skichic1012 | January 14, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

TheBoreaucrat is a guy (with no journalism background) whose wife was killed by a drunk driver years ago. News accounts referred to this invariably as an "accident." There was nothing "accidental" about it. It was a "crash," and a reader should expect the Washington Post to get this distinction.

Pallni, YOUR comment is stupid. Ha.

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | January 14, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Pallni, YOUR comment is stupid. Ha.

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | January 14, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Pallni, YOUR comment is stupid. Ha.

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | January 14, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Pallni, YOUR comment is stupid. Ha.

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | January 14, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skichic1012 | January 14, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

>>>>>>>>>

The "drainage issue" is caused by the roads location, i.e., CANAL road. Perhaps they should elevate the road to drier land.

Posted by: Cossackathon | January 14, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I know the victim/driver personally and he does not drink alcohol.

This is a difficult time for family and friends of the victims.

If TheBoreaucrat has actually lost a loved one to a similar situation, I'd encourage him to be empathetic rather than post incendiary remarks.

Thanks.

Posted by: BRE_83 | January 14, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@ TheBoreaucrat: you are an idiot!!!
How dare you put stupid comments like this.
I know one of the passengers personally.He was the nicest guy. Never drank in his life or touched drugs. He was working out in my gym and did not even have license to drive.
It is that damn Canal Road.
If TheBoreaucrat lost his wife, he should have more empathy and sympathy.
Parents, friends and etc are very sad about this and going through a lot.
My mother had a major accident with a S class Mercedes that was built like a tank. She hit a massive pothole, and the car lost control. DC Gov should fix that damn road. We live right next to Canal and pay so much taxes.
I, myself, totaled my S550 on the bridge as two other car in front me had a huge accident. Bridges around that road are deadly. Drivers need to be alert, do doubt, but the damn road should get fixed.
RIP those two young men.
All, just know that parents and friends read these posts. Please don't comment anything negative as it will just break their already-broken heart.
thanks.

Posted by: Sean360Spider | January 14, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

@ TheBoreaucrat: you are an idiot!!!
How dare you put stupid comments like this.
It is that damn Canal Road.
If TheBoreaucrat lost his wife, he should have more empathy and sympathy.
Parents, friends and etc are very sad about this and going through a lot.
RIP those two young men.
thanks.

Posted by: Sean360Spider | January 14, 2011 11:35 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Serbs!!!
Peace and Love

Posted by: vladicabanjanac | January 15, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I drive this route atleast 6 times a week both ways. The road is not only wet and slippery with lots of wildlife but the drivers on this road travel at speed limits well over 15mph faster than the posted speed. If you don't move or go faster they flash their high beams, tailgate or go around on double yellow lines. I passed this accident and the person behind me was tailgating me with his high beams on because i was being careful as other drivers were flashing warning lights as they approached me before i got to the accident. People should be more respectful of the these roads and the citizens trying to do the right thing. What happened to these drivers could happen to myself or anyone traveling this road. My prayers and with their family and friends!

Posted by: Momkeisha1 | January 15, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I contacted Mr. Fenty's office about this very issue over a year ago and received a response that the issue would be addressed. I never saw any action so I alter my commute in the winter time because of these very well known ice spots. This is a terrible tragedy and I hope someone makes a change soon before there are any more serious accidents. Also I know of many more accidents in these areas and someone needs to look at the records and react.

Posted by: canalroad | January 19, 2011 8:18 PM | Report abuse