Posted at 3:55 PM ET, 11/29/2010

Dunbar increases security after charges

By Associated Press

Security has been increased at Dunbar High School after six boys were charged with sexually assaulting a girl at the school.

In a letter to parents sent home on Monday, interim D.C. Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson says security has been increased in and around the school. Henderson says officials are assessing security issues and considering whether other resources, such as security cameras, may be needed to guard against any such incidents in the future.

Police say the girl reported the assault to a parent after she went home last Monday and was taken to a hospital. School officials were informed on Tuesday.

The six juveniles were charged with first-degree sexual assault and all six have been removed from school while the investigation is conducted.

By Associated Press  | November 29, 2010; 3:55 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC, Education
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trial for Md. man charged in son's death
Next: Teen girl's body found in D.C. trash bin

Comments

Didn't they already have six full-time, sworn officers with guns at that school? How many more do they need? Perhaps, rather than importing more police, they should consider exporting some more of their students (to jail)? More than a few seem to need...a little more structure.

Posted by: RealityCheckerInEffect | November 29, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

A letter to the parents would be great if they knew who their parents really were, or if those parents could read.

We need to find ways to allow people who care to get their children out of DCPS.

Posted by: plugugly7 | November 30, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse

An official from the school said that DCPS need to get tougher regarding safety.

They had better plan to construct more alternative schools because that's where most of the idiots will end up.

Now black leaders are beginning to beg the government for money to address uneducated young black males. Maybe they should use that money to research how they are being raised and try to fix the problem at that level.

It's a losing cause when ignorance is allowed to run rampant through our communities.

Posted by: keedrow | November 30, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

"How dumb can you be to stand with 5 other guys and rape a girl. It gives us another insight on how young black males value young black females. They simply don't and the females seem to be fine with it."

wow, yet another person who sees a crime committed by *some* black males and extrapolates from that to *all* black males.

How impressive. You must hate all of humanity, then. Last I heard there isn't a single demographic that is free of a criminal past. Why the front page today has news of a grandmother who threw her 4 year old granddaughter over a 4th-floor railing down into traffic at Tysons, killing the child.

Maybe we should lock up all grandmothers?

Posted by: chucklebuck | November 30, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

keedrow- I don't think the girl who was raped was 'fine with it' in terms of how the 5 animals treated her. IMHO the 5 should become organ donors before they are fried. I am all for steralization of all of those who receive public assistance and their off spring. I AM including all the baby daddies who impregnate the females.

Posted by: soccerhead | November 30, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

i don't think the girl that was raped was "fine wiith it'. I hope the 5 animals who raped her get the max sentance allowed. Why not steralize them so they can't breed?!

Posted by: soccerhead | November 30, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Having been a victim of sexual assault it takes a lot of courage for anyone to report a crime. With that said all of these young men deserve their day in court and a fair trial. I have worked/volunteered with many of the youth in the District and as we could see in the Duke Lacrosse team allegation a trial proved that all of the facts were not quite as they had initially been reported. The layout of Dunbar is large and I am shocked that they don't have video camera's- do they have 6 full-time MPD officers? I thought they had security guards. I am in no way stating that this young woman is lying or that the crime did not happen. I am just simply stating that the Post is only reporting one side of the story.

Posted by: no1snowflake | November 30, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

If you want to ruin your life, do it now. No point in putting it off. Best to do it before you graduate from high school. You want to get a nice cell with a view.

Black girls need to stay away from black boys.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | November 30, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Right on TaxiDriver and keedrow! I agree 100%!!! Black males have no respect for females, period! All black males need prozac and a good a@# kick-beat down, hung by tree licking!!! They have no morales/ethics/class...nothing, but good skills when it comes to sports. Yeah, I said it... Black males are pathetic apes that have violated this world...be gone!!!

Posted by: 0126 | November 30, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 0126 | November 30, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

to 0126 - I criticize my people regularly for idiotic behavior but you went a tad bit overboard. If I could identify you on the street I'd go right to your grill with the heel of my boot to show you how violence can sometimes be a good thing.

Posted by: keedrow | November 30, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The Myths Of Security Equipment In Schools And How They Create Unsafe Environments And Increase Liability http://www.seraph.net/2010/11/25/994

Posted by: lcollins1 | December 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lcollins1 | December 1, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lcollins1 | December 1, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand this willingness to destroy your life/future at such a young age. These young black "men" work very hard at self-destruction. Boys weren't doing this when I went to high school. Maybe puff a joint surreptitiously during lunch but that was it. No ther drugs. If there was a fight, it involved fisticuffs. Not knives & guns. Never heard of. Ever.
In my day as they say.

What has happened? Where are their parents? Isn't that the eternal question?
Babies having babies.

What's so cool/hip about going to jail/prison for a long period of time? Is this the beginning of a life of crime for these boys? Probably.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | December 1, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse