Posted at 8:14 PM ET, 02/17/2011

Fatal shooting in Prince George's

By Matt Zapotosky

Database: 2010 homicides in Prince George's County

A person was shot to death in the South Laurel area of Prince George's County Thursday night, authorities said.

Cpl. Clinton Copeland, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Police Department, said officers were dispatched to the 13000 block of Mistletoe Spring Road at about 6:15 pm for reported gunfire. They arrived to find a person suffering from a gunshot wound, Copeland said. That person was pronounced dead at the scene.

It was the county's 20th homicide of 2011.

Copeland said officers were still in the area searching for suspects.

View Prince George's County homicides in a larger map

By Matt Zapotosky  | February 17, 2011; 8:14 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md. moves closer to same-sex marriages
Next: A.M. headlines around the D.C. region

Comments

shocker

Posted by: slick3 | February 17, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

why do these liberals shoot so many of their peers?

Posted by: charlietuna6661 | February 17, 2011 11:34 PM | Report abuse

It was the county's 20th homicide of 2011. Damn PG, get your sh-t together..

Posted by: wewintheylose1 | February 18, 2011 3:01 AM | Report abuse

PG County was a great place to live in the 60's and early 70's....what placed a DARK cloud over the county?

Posted by: priveye | February 18, 2011 6:49 AM | Report abuse

What a vicious and violent culture.

Posted by: jab00 | February 18, 2011 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Don't tell me, let me guess ... the next homicide will be the 21st. I'm glad the good folks at WaPo can count.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | February 18, 2011 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Black people hate other black people. Deep down. All of this "bruthahood" & "sistahood" stuff is a front. Bunch of nonsense. "I loves me some black man. Uh huh." Yeah yeah. It's zero self esteem. This is why they don't mind killing each other off at a rate that would make the Imperial Wizard of the KKK raise his eyebrows.

Black people should be up in arms about this. Trying to stop it. Working in their neighborhoods to make them safer.

Instead they're coming on the WASH POST forum & getting all worked up when someone makes a so-called "racist" comment. Like that's the worst thing anyone can do.

"Black-on-black homicide? Oh, that's nothing. No biggie. We don't talk about that. Especially not when white people are around. We have more important things to worry about."

Get your priorities straight.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 18, 2011 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Just another day in the hood!

Posted by: PZ007 | February 18, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Just another day in the hood!

Posted by: PZ007 | February 18, 2011 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I missed something, I didn't see any mention of the race of the victim in the article. There are many different cultures in Laurel so don't assume the victim was black.

Posted by: sanfrangirl | February 18, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

the victim was black and he was also my cousin. seeing all of these thinly veiled racist comments shows how far we still have to go. nice to see that blacks killing other blacks is still a running joke to all of you who remain out of touch.

Posted by: youcomebeforeyou | February 18, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

OK. It was wrong to assume.

Why aren't white drug dealers killing white drug dealers all the time? Is that going on & not being reported?

WASH POST doesn't care what color you are. If you get murdered, they will report it.

Most of this homicide is black-on-black. Or it seems to be.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 18, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Everybody is everybody else's cousin it seems...

I knew the word "racist" was going to pop up. It always does.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 18, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Of course, this is a bad thing and needs to be dealt with and several of the perpetrators have been caught, but let's put this into perspective. Prince George's County has a population of over 800,000 and a land mass of 485 sq mi. Baltimore has a population of under 650,000 and a land mass of only 80.8 sq mi and they've had 22 homicides this year.

Prince George's gets the spot light on crime, but it's not the worse. Baltimore is still respected as a great city for the most part, because lots of good things are happening there and lots of good people live there. The same is true of Prince George's County.

Posted by: JoyceD | February 18, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse

taxidriver, you don't think the family members homicide victims are capable of reading the washington post? i have an aunt that's heartbroken from this while people like you use their free time to make cynical comments about someone's murder over the internet. i can only hope that your family will have as much sympathy for you when you pass on.

Posted by: youcomebeforeyou | February 18, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

So I can't say anything or watch what I say ccoz a relative of the deceased may be looking at this?

If it's a little girl who gets caught in the crossfire then I truly am upset & sad. But that's because she's innocent. Not a wannabe tough guy/drug dealer who paid the price for the life. I can't cry any tears over them. Why should I? Becuase every human life is precious? Puh-leeeze.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 18, 2011 11:54 AM | Report abuse

where in any part of this article did it imply that the victim in this article was a tough guy and/or drug dealer? now you're making assumptions and you know what they say about those. good luck to you.

Posted by: youcomebeforeyou | February 18, 2011 12:05 PM | Report abuse

PGC is a smorgasbord for racists. I think they become sexually aroused by the opportunity and need to relieve themselves by posting vitriolic comments. I wish WaPo would allow identities to be revealed - that would eliminate a lot of the negative comments. But I'm sure it would be the cause for a lot more arse whippings...which I would welcome. I would love to put my foot up a racist’s arse.

Posted by: WaterzEdge | February 18, 2011 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaterzEdge | February 18, 2011 12:24 PM | Report abuse

WaterzEdge is one of those wannabe tough guys. He likes to beat people up who make him mad. Widdle baby doesn't like "negative comments." The world has to cater to him & watch what they say. Mongo does his talking with his fists.

I guess if you're black you can say whatever you want about blacks, the black community, black-on-black homicide, no?

Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 18, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

don't feed the trolls

Posted by: youcomebeforeyou | February 18, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Taxidriver wrote:

-----
Conversely, I do my fighting with words as well. I just despise you and other ilks of your kind who hide behind a computer to anathmetize and demorialize minorities, particuarly, black Americans. You're real opinionated in the confines of your offices or homes, but say very little, if anything when you come face to face with the very people you profess to despise. But that's indicative of dolts like you...cowards until the end.

And yes, if I had an opportunity to meet you in person, I would indeed, break my leg off in your arse.

Posted by: Insert_Name_Here | February 18, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Correction - Anathematize.

Posted by: Insert_Name_Here | February 18, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

And yes, I have two personalities. And you're going to get to know them real quick.

Posted by: Insert_Name_Here | February 18, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Insert_Name_Here, that's not very healthy thinking, dude.

"PGC is a smorgasbord for racists."
--WaterzEdge

True, but commenters geographically cross-post all the time on here.

E.g., I've observed that a vocal minority of Virginian commenters (often white) post inflammatory race-baiting comments on stories on here about DC/Md. It's actually tricky to adhere to simplistic and extremist racial prejudices if you live in/around many parts of DC/Md for any significant amount of time. Honestly, if people just "color-coded" everybody they encountered according to familiar cut-and-dry racist stereotypes without applying a modicum of common sense or street smarts, they wouldn't make it very far in many places.

(Just my two cents.)

Posted by: FedUpInMoCo | February 18, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the natives are getting restless in PG.

Posted by: priveye | February 18, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

FedUpInMoCo wrote:

Insert_Name_Here, that's not very healthy thinking, dude.

"PGC is a smorgasbord for racists."
--WaterzEdge

True, but commenters geographically cross-post all the time on here.

(Just my two cents.)

-------

I appreciate your two cents. Great comment.

Posted by: Insert_Name_Here | February 18, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

As a Black man who came of age during the days of Black Pride, I am sickened, saddened, and ashamed by this Black on Black killing.

Where in the world were these peoples' parents?

Posted by: ceefer66 | February 18, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

If I saw you in person, I'd say the same things but then you'd still call me a racist. You're mind is so locked on the word "racism" that it can't see when people are making valid points or commenting on stuff that they see right before their eyes.

What if a black person said the same things I was saying? What would you call them?

You can't call 'em as you see 'em? You have to dance around everything that might hurt someone's feelings? Adults getting in a tizzy over words. Oy vey. Everything you see is deemed "negative." What is this, Sesame Street? We can't thrash it out?

The word "racist" is tossed around like a frisbee on a college campus. Take that incident with Don Imus. he didn't use the "n" word. But you'd have thought Imus lynched Rosa Parks the way people were carrying on & asking for his head. He had to bow down to Jesse & Sharpton. Imus is a racist? You know what he has done for children of all races with cancer? Puh-leeeze.

I think a lot of these complaints about "racism" center on the fact that some black people don't like it when white people put their two cents in on black issues, black-on-black crime, high school drop out rate, teenage pregnancy, etc.

I don't care if you want to come down on white criminals. Go ahead. I'm not related to them. I won't cry. I hate them all regardless of race. I don't defend white murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc.

Analyze what I say. Make your point. Tell me if I'm lying or making stuff up. Don't just call me a "racist."

Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 18, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Who do you think is doing the REAL "demoralizing" of Black Americans?

HINT: IT AIN'T WHITE MEN, NAZIS, SKINHEADS OR THE KKK.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 18, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Who do you think is doing the REAL "demoralizing" of Black Americans?

HINT: IT AIN'T WHITE MEN, NAZIS, SKINHEADS OR THE KKK.

Think hard.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 18, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The victim was not Black. However Black on Black crime is a problem in America. Normally it involves drugs and the drug is mostly Crack Cocaine which affects the brain. Most of the people involved in street crimes are raised on a diet of fast food which contains high amounts of MSG and Sodium Nitrate to name a few. Crack Cocaine, MSG, Sodium Nitrate and an undeveloped Frontal Lobe is a mix for disaster. All these things affect the brain and without Parental guidance there is not much hope for a lot of young people. This is a major part of all the violence in most neighborhoods, especially the Black Low Income Neighborhoods. Negative incidents which involve Blacks normally receives wider dissemination than negative incidents which involve others. It is an attempt to keep the Black race in the Lower Order of People. This has been going on for decades but has failed. Any race of people that rise up from the chains of slavery, like the Black race has is without doubt a race of high intelligence and endurance with a strong desire to succeed. Even today, Blacks have less opportunities than most because they live in a capital society but are denied access to capital. Most cannot borrow the necessary funds to start a business and yes even those with high credit scores. This is evidence by the sub-prime loan crisis where it was reported that even the Blacks with high credit scores still were not allowed to have a mortgage loan with a competitive rate. So yes, a lot of Blacks commit crimes and kill each other. But when you look at the whole picture, you also see a race of people who have a lot of successful individuals, even though they do not have equal opportunity. Most Americans would not last a year as a Black person in America. Just think about the way you feel about Blacks and place yourself in their place.

Posted by: Moley2 | February 19, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

i dont think 20 murders is the real issue i think its why any cant and will any do anything about it .

Posted by: dwyn_proctor | February 19, 2011 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Where in the world were these peoples' parents?
Posted by: ceefer66
------------------------------------------
How many parents, on average, do you think lived in the killers' homes during their childhood?

If you're a black father who lives with your wife and kids, then you're part of the solution, and your kids won't be part of the problem.

Posted by: WmarkW | February 19, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm still try to find out exactly who was it that was killed! If anybody any information please reply back!

Posted by: puryeartawan | February 20, 2011 8:25 PM | Report abuse