Posted at 6:03 PM ET, 03/ 9/2011

Fight reported at Glenmont Metro

By Clarence Williams

Metro transit police are investigating a fight between a man and a 16-year-old boy Wednesday afternoon in the Glenmont Metro station, transit officials said.

The man and teen began arguing outside the station and then started to fight inside the station, which is the final stop on the eastern end of the Red Line, in the 12500 block of Georgia Avenue.

Angela Gates, a Metro spokeswoman, said the teen suffered minor injuries, but refused medical treatment in the 4:30 p.m. incident. It was not clear what had caused the fight.

Authorities notified the teenager’s parents of the fight, Gates said. The man was seen leaving the scene on foot, and police were trying to find him, officials said. No description was given of the man.

On Tuesday night, a man was stabbed in the leg outside the Chinatown Metro station, which is also on the Red Line.

By Clarence Williams  | March 9, 2011; 6:03 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC, Traffic and Transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Graduate School to expand in Southwest
Next: Crash in Southwest D.C. injures 5

Comments

Why hurry home from work to watch murder, brutality and mayhem on TV? I can sit on a Metro train and catch just as much action there.

Posted by: randysbailin | March 9, 2011 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Metro Police and Police in DC, MD and VA need to step up their efforts to assure public safety.

NYC used to have this problem until they assumed responsiblity following Bernard Goetz shooting people the just thought were endangering his life.

Local jurisdictions have been spending too much time using electronic means (red light and speed cameras) of screwing us in the interest of public saftey should spend more time on the subway.

In the stationary camera cars, police are supposedly being paid overtime through a discretionary fund to sit there and capture pictures of speeding cars $$$$. I have seen them half asleep, talking on cell phones and browsing the internet on their computers. Hard, hard work!

Posted by: dcchamp1 | March 9, 2011 8:44 PM | Report abuse

you want better protection talk to your council member and make sure police officers don't get pay cuts or furloughs. You live in an area with the lowest number of officers per 10000 citizens.

Posted by: msr8982 | March 9, 2011 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: msr8982 | March 9, 2011 10:06 PM

*******************************************

You, no doubt, are a police officer. If everyone else has to face furloughs, the police should be no different.

I worked for the MPD, as a civilian employee, for 6 1/2 years and the amount of waste and abuse, (probably fraud too) that went on was ridiculous in terms of police assigned to desk duty rather than being on the street patroling (i.e., actual police work).

Police officers working in administrative jobs, versus a civilian employee which would cost substantially less, was a major reason their budget was so high. Back then, there were 3,500 officers assigned but at times, some districts had one or two officers on the night shift.

Civilians could easily replace the officers performing administrative duties. And, what was the solution, to hire MORE officers!

Cry me a river! The police should have to be furloughed as well!

Posted by: TheChampisheretoo | March 10, 2011 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: msr8982 | March 9, 2011 10:06 PM

*******************************************

Cry me a river! The police should have to be furloughed as well!

Posted by: TheChampisheretoo | March 10, 2011 7:21 AM | Report abuse

More police( uniformed and plain clothes) on the Metro and in the metro stations and nearby areas making arrests and enforcing a Zero Tolerance Policy of illegal and disruptive/unsafe behaviors is needed. disruptive riders and those who break the law and violate Metro rules should be banned from use of the Metro and all Metro property.

Posted by: 10bestfan | March 10, 2011 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The teen refused medical treatment coz he probably has an outstanding warrant or two.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | March 10, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Man, that teen, Kwame Rastus Calhoun, sure gets in a lot of scrapes, don't he?

Posted by: clitteigh | March 10, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

This could have been me a week ago. I blocked a teen who was rushing from cutting in front of me on the escalator only to have him call his friends after exiting the metro.

3 guys approached me and one asked "why you disrespect my people". I explained to him that all I did was keep him from running me over. After a few minutes of arguing and staring, the same guy told me "don't disrespect my people again" and they walked off.

While I was ready to rumble, I don't know how successful I would have been against 3 young teens.

I told the young man that he had been rushing, had bumped into someelse while not paying attention and that if he had just considered that it was rush hour and that you can't be in that type of a hurry during that time, that none of it would have happened. He told me "I do what the f I want to do", and we left it at that.

I had to keep an eye on them until my bus came as they walked to an area behind me outside the metro station.

I didn't press the arguing too much because one of the little idiots may have been packing and shot me OVER A BUMP ON THE SUBWAY + after watching several fights on or near metro lately I knew I couldn't count on bystanders.

I have sinced changed my attitude and won't even engage in an argument with the idiots because I could have been dead and his dumb ask would not recognize the pettyness of his crime until he was sitting behind bars saying to himself "I got a life sentence because I killed a man for bumping into me on the train".

Posted by: keedrow | March 10, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Too many teens are loitering around the metro stations, they are not waiting for bus or train, they are just hanging around selling buying stuff to make their brains ace in exams etc.

Posted by: Jim110 | March 10, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"Other blacks would rather watch you get your ask kicked and film it with their phone than to try to call for help or intervene."

It is so unnecessary for you to write everyone of my race off because of the actions of a few idiots.

Posted by: GoldenSilence | March 10, 2011 9:39 PM | Report abuse