Posted at 3:45 PM ET, 09/24/2010

Former Md. school aide guilty of sex abuse

By Washington Post editors

A 38-year-old former Howard County school employee was found guilty Friday of sexually abusing a third-grader by writing her dozens of explicit letters, The Baltimore Sun reports.

Howard County Circuit Court Judge Diane Leasure ruled that Karl Marshall Walker Jr., who worked as a paraeducator at Bryant Woods Elementary School in Columbia for three years, sexually exploited an 8-year-old girl by giving her notes detailing his passion for her, his desire to kiss her and his request that she keep their correspondence secret. The ruling set a new precedent in Maryland for a sex crime conviction without evidence of physical contact.

Walker wrote notes that read: "When you hug me tight, it's the best part of my day"; "I don't think perverted thoughts about you, I just care about you"; "tear this up after you read it, tear the other notes too"; "I am sad because I really love you and I am not supposed to"; and "I do think about kissing you sometimes."

By Washington Post editors  | September 24, 2010; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Former Md. priest sentenced for sex abuse
Next: Weekend freebies: D.C. area blogs

Comments

Don't know if this guy will get any jail time but he is a danger to society..If not incarcerated he will eventually find a victim to carry out his desires....

Posted by: pentagon40 | September 24, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Went on for three years before being detected.

Posted by: blasmaic | September 24, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

What's a paraeducator?

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | September 26, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

A "paraeducator" is a teacher's aide...works with individual students and/or small groups of students. Some have degrees in education but have not completed certification requirements, which vary from state to state.

Posted by: DecafDrinker | September 26, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse