Posted at 11:42 AM ET, 08/25/2010

Girl, 14, charged in Baltimore slaying

By Washington Post editors

Baltimore police say a 14-year-old girl shot two men, one of them fatally, after she tried to rob them and they laughed at her because she was so young.

The girl has been charged as an adult with first-degree murder, attempted murder and other crimes in the Aug. 13 shooting. Jose Gonzalez-Coreas, 44, died a week later, while the other victim survived.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says the girl pulled a gun and announced a robbery, then opened fire when the two victims started laughing. He says interviews with witnesses led to the girl's arrest Tuesday night. A 19-year-old man has been charged with accessory after the fact.

The shooting was one of a series of attacks on Hispanic men in the city in recent weeks.

-- Associated Press

By Washington Post editors  | August 25, 2010; 11:42 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md. receives $3.8M in energy grants
Next: Va. boy roasting marshmallow starts fire

Comments

The real Snoop from the Wire is only 14 years old.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | August 25, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't categorize this as a hate crime as race in concerned. Its a hate crime against humanity because a life was lost. Its obvious to me that Latinos are being targeted because of the assumption by many that they are here illegally and do not report crimes as much because of fear of deportation. Also, the fact is that being illegal one probably doesn't have a bank account and carries cash on their person. I don't think their DNA has anything to do with it. If we shared a border with China and has millions of illegal Chinese immigrants it probably would have been a Chinese person with no papers and no bank account being murdered. These people are victims of circumstance not racial hate. Racism exists because its the easiest way for people to group eachother. We have big eyes on our heads and "see" things before we "think" about them.

Posted by: kashnowe | August 25, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I bet she rides the METRO!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | August 25, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

@10bestfan: I know we're talking about a horrible tragedy here, but I have to admit - your comment made me laugh inside and nod in agreement.

Posted by: jenniferreitz | August 25, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I was concerned over a kid pulling a knife during rush hour on a Metro train, but approaching grown men and demanding money...now THAT takes the cake! Now I see why folks flinch when there are teenagers around...they don't know WHAT might "pop off"!!

Posted by: vcooper52 | August 25, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse