Posted at 5:53 PM ET, 12/27/2010

Girl shot with pellet gun by relative

By Washington Post editors

Prince William County police say a 12-year-old girl is in critical condition after being shot with a pellet gun by a relative, WUSA 9 reports.

Police said they were called to a home in the 12900 block of Ketterman Drive in Woodbridge on Thursday, shortly before 10:40 p.m. They found the girl shot in the chest. She was air-lifted to a trauma center, where she remains.

A 17-year-old male relative was taken into custody and charged with aggravated malicious wounding. He is being held at a juvenile detention center.

By Washington Post editors  | December 27, 2010; 5:53 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Armored car robbery in Howard County
Next: A.M. headlines around the D.C. region

Comments

At least he didn't shoot her eye out!

I know, I'll grab my boarding pass for the train to heII now.

Seriously, I do hope the young lady recovers.

Posted by: BEEPEE | December 28, 2010 2:13 AM | Report abuse

...and the parents were where?

Posted by: ahashburn | December 28, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

That's why we have guns, to shoot friends and family. For many people it's a fulfillment of their marriage vows; "...till death due us part."

Posted by: James10 | December 28, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

"...and the parents were where?

Posted by: ahashburn | December 28, 2010 6:33 AM"

Are you a troll, or what? Why the heck would anyone blame parents for this? The shooter was 17 years old. The age for babysitting other children is 12. Even if they were younger, the parents could be cooking, cleaning, helping the other kids with their homework, putting the groceries away, going to the bathroom, setting up play dates, writing thank-you notes, talking to relatives on the phone, watering the plants, etc. Parents are people with lots of responsibility, not computer chips embedded in their children's bodies for complete behavior control and monitoring.

Posted by: rosepetals64 | December 28, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Skip the trial and behead the freaking tard.

Posted by: veerle1 | December 28, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I would understand people questioning the parenting if the children involved were 7 and 10. But they're 17 and 12.
Unless there is some special circumstance involving either of the children any normal parent would think you could let kids of those ages on their own.
Children(even one's who are 17)make dumb decisions...it happens. Just hope the injured kid recovers.

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | December 28, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

@rosepetals64 I think the point ahashburn was trying to make was that there was no adult supervision. Be the relative 17 or not, there should've been some supervision around that weapon. I know when I got one when I was younger, I was never able to use it unless supervised by an adult.

Posted by: lulu202 | December 28, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

BEEPEE- LOLOL
THAT WAS FUNNY!!! I FEEL SORRY FOR THE YOUNG GIRL AND HOPE SHE RECOVERS..
BUT I SWEAR. I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING....

Posted by: deanadean519 | December 28, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

BEEPEE- LOLOL
THAT WAS FUNNY!!! I FEEL SORRY FOR THE YOUNG GIRL AND HOPE SHE RECOVERS..
BUT I SWEAR. I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING....

Posted by: deanadean519 | December 28, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I have a problem with this story. I have been shot with a pellet gun before the pellet just lodged under the skin. How can he shoot this girl and cause this much damage to go to shot trauma unit and in critical condition.

Was she naked and did he stick the gun right on her skin and put a tripple shot of co2 in the chamber if that is even possible. There is something wrong with this story.

Posted by: slickjoe | December 28, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: slickjoe | December 28, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Back when I was little, kids shot eachother with bb guns all the time. However, they did not shoot 12 year old girls. They shot their best friends in their rear ends and it was all boy stuff. There were bb gun wars all the time, and just sometimes, the kids would wear goggles. Girls were never involved, and i don't think the boys wanted to shoot at girls. Times have changed. If you want to shoot someone in 2010, play paint ball. I hope this little girl gets better immediately.

Posted by: good1 | December 28, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

The pre-charged pneumatic pellet guns are quite powerful. Nothing wrong with the story, no conspiracy here.

Posted by: fluxgirl | December 28, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

This is news? Heck, we used to shoot each other with bottle rockets when I was a kid.

Ah yes, I forget: We need *something* to fill the 24*7 news hole we have created. I guess this can be it. Or maybe we could find dioxin in someone's yard or something...

C

Posted by: cz_man | December 28, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

cz_man: Those bottle rockets did have an affect, it made you a bitter cynic.

Posted by: jckdoors | December 28, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Those of you who are making comments that BBs dont hurt or pellet guns cant wound you have obviously never fired a pellet gun these days. I have shot thru young trees (literally blown them apart) and accidently put a pellet thru my plate glass window (the damage looked like a 22 caliber bullet). These pellet guns today kill small game - that is their intention - i have no doubt that if the girl was shot in the chest her life is at stake - an adult would probably die as well.

Posted by: KevinDunne | December 28, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Aggravated malicious wounding suggests to me that the 17 year old deliberately aimed at the the girl and shot the gun. What an upstanding kid. Something is not right in that family, or perhaps the 17 year old is psycho.

Posted by: CAmira5 | December 28, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Look, not to defend stupidity, but I am certain he had no idea that a pellet would break the skin. I have personally been shot with a pellet gun - it was a nasty bruise, but of course it didn't do any serious damage (I did serious damage to the moron cousin who shot me, though - and yes, he was a 14 year old boy and yes, we lived in a very rural area). Malicious wounding means he meant to point it at her, may even have meant to hit her -- but had absolutely no intent to hurt her. If he had incredibly bad luck, and it passed between her ribs just right, he could collapse a lung or even embed the pellet in her heart, if it bounced off a rib just the right way.

The thing to remember about a pellet gun is that the number of times that you pump it can have quite an impact on the velocity with which the pellet leaves the gun. Also, people forget to treat all guns like they can hurt someone - even pellet and bb guns.

A number of years ago, the papers in Houston reported that a girl fell on a pencil at school and stabbed it into her heart. No one argued that the kid who gave her a playful push deserved the death penalty - kids can do stupid things while utterly failing to understand the potential consequences. It USED to be considered part of being a kid, back before the exponential growth of the prison industrial complex.

Posted by: BadMommy1 | December 28, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CAmira5
---------------------
Don't be an idiot. You know nothing about this incident besides the few paragraphs reported here. That's why you use the word "suggests" in your post. How about this...Your post suggests you are extremely judgmental and not fit to sit on a jury or judge situations and or other's charaters.

Posted by: 6thsense79 | December 28, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse