Posted at 6:54 AM ET, 01/21/2011

Fatal hit-and-run in Alexandria

By Debbi Wilgoren

Alexandria Police are looking for the driver of a black sedan that struck a man on King Street early Friday, fatally injuring him, then left the scene.

Police said the fatal hit-and-run occurred around 12:10 a.m. The victim was identified as Melbourne Clyde Leach Jr., 26, of Alexandria. Leach was crossing King Street at the intersection with Park Center Drive when he was struck, police said.

A witness to the crash described the striking vehicle as a four-door black sedan, similar to a Lincoln Town car. Leach died at Inova Fairfax Hospital. Anyone with information about the crash is asked to contact the Alexandria Police Department at 703.838.4444.

A few hours later, at 5:15 a.m., a bicyclist was struck by a car in Silver Spring, WUSA (Channel 9) reported. The collision was on Colesville Road at Lorain Drive. Police told WUSA that the victim was alert and breathing upon arrival at a local hospital. The driver of the striking vehicle did not remain on the scene and has not been found.

By Debbi Wilgoren  | January 21, 2011; 6:54 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland, Traffic and Transportation, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McLean road closed due to downed lines
Next: A.M. headlines around the D.C. region

Comments

Hit and run is becoming epidemic. Penalties for leaving the scene should be brutal.

Posted by: jckdoors | January 21, 2011 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I live in this area and you see people zooming through that light all the time trying to get on to 395 and not have to stop a block before the exit ramp. It's also a bad area for pedestrians because on the opposite side of King Street, there is no sidewalk so a lot of people cross trying to get to the other side where there is a sidewalk. Horrible and sad story.

Posted by: ukcatfan | January 21, 2011 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Riding your bike in the darkness at 5:15am is just plain stupid. Especially in Maryland where the drivers are maniacs even in the daylight. Think people- come on!

Posted by: hogfarmer55 | January 21, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

No one should ever leave the scene of an accident, and I don't condone that. That being said however, pedestrians and bicyclists need to follow the cross walk and laws of the road. More frequently than not it is the pedestrians fault and the news does not focus on this. Bikers are worse! They don't follow any rules, dart out in traffic, run through red lights it is nuts. I leave near the capital crescent trail and you shoudl see the things they do. No one knows whose fault this is, but I think something really needs to be done to ensure that everyone follows the rules of the road!

Posted by: lisannez | January 21, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lisannez | January 21, 2011 2:18 PM | Report abuse

How sad.

I used to live close to 7(King St) about 1/2 mile from here and it is just not pedestrian friendly at all. I had several instances of cars not seeing me or even honking at me when I was crossing 7 in the crosswalk with the WALK SIGN ON. I also had a very scary near miss on my bicycle when a driver wasn't paying attention and almost right hooked me. I was on one wheel trying to stop. (I was riding a in 100% legal manner.)

Finally moved to a more pedestrian friendly part of town.

Posted by: elbows1 | January 21, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I've lived all over the area and the country, and this part of Alexandria is simply the least pedestrian friendly area I've ever encountered. Northern Virginia in general is a cesspool when it comes to driving, and this intersection might be one of the worst. I know for a fact that the crosswalk button on at least one side of the intersection wont even work, because it is permanently jammed in--and it has been for as long as I can remember.

Posted by: bobby1212 | January 21, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse