Posted at 6:34 AM ET, 10/19/2010

Man shot dead in Petworth neighborhood

By Washington Post Editor

D.C. police are investigating the overnight shooting death of a man in the 4300 block of Georgia Avenue NW, local television stations reported Tuesday.

WRC-TV (Channel 4) said the man, whose name was not released, was found at the foot of the steps outside an apartment building in the Petworth neighborhood. He had been shot at least three times.

No additional information was immediately available.

By Washington Post Editor  | October 19, 2010; 6:34 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lori's A.M. Buzz: Waiting for $1M news
Next: Jury selection in Frostburg State slaying

Comments

Petworth and Columbia Heights are still two very dangerous neighborhoods despite all the speculative hype about gentrification.

Posted by: jab00 | October 19, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Jab - I've lived in the Petworth/Columbia Heights area for over two years now. While these neighborhoods might not be as safe as Cleveland Park or Dupont Circle, it's an extreme exaggeration to label them as "very dangerous neighorhoods."

You should come by for a visit sometime and see for yourself how much these areas have improved.

Posted by: Aaron20011 | October 19, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Petworth is definitely improving, but still far too many thugs for me to consider moving there anytime soon. It's close, but just not there yet.

Posted by: pcook52 | October 19, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, my step-kids live around there and when I am picking them up or dropping them off as soon as I hit Georgia Avenue I make sure all my doors are locked. Too many people strolling about looking shady for my comfort. The buildings and the whole environment look like another world. As soon as you cross over from Maryland into DC there is a distinct difference.

Posted by: TG10 | October 19, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Petworth is definitely improving, but still far too many *n i g g a s* for me to consider moving there anytime soon. It's close, but just not there yet.

Posted by: pcook52 | October 19, 2010 10:00 AM

There. Fixed it to what you really wanted to say.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

4thFloor,

Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation. For all you know, pcook52 is an African-American living in a neighborhood that is predominantly African-American. I guess you are what you lament… someone who presumes the worst in others.

During the twenty two years that I lived in DC, I lived in several neighborhoods, including Petworth. Not once was I victimized by crime when I lived in Petworth. I can’t say the same thing about Capitol Hill where I also lived for several years.

Posted by: DCTofSE | October 19, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey 4th Floor, but "thugs" I meant trouble maker. Race had nothing to do with it. I guess I could have said "hooligans" but no one really says that anymore.

I don't care if "thugs" are black, white, hispanic, asian, whatever...I just want them out of Petworth before I'd ever consider moving there.

Posted by: pcook52 | October 19, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse