Posted at 10:05 PM ET, 11/ 2/2010

Man trapped in pond is rescued

By Erica Johnston

Update, 10:13 p.m.:
County officials have updated and corrected information released earlier about an accident Tuesday night, in which a man was rescued after his vehicle crashed into a pond in Lanham.

Prince George's County fire officials now say that two men and one woman, who are criminal justice students from Anne Arundel Community College, saved the life of a man in his 20s. The man, who was driving a Mercury Mountaineer, was ejected from the SUV and ended up unconscious and trapped under water in a collection pond. A passenger was able to escape, unharmed, said Mark Brady, a spokesman.

Two of the good samaritans jumped into the water, which was three to four feet deep, and kept the victim's head and uppper body out of the water until rescuers arrived.

It took firefighters and paramedics 30 to move the SUV off of the victim. The driver took water into his lungs, and suffered other injuries during the crash, officials said.

-- Clarence Williams

Earlier:
The Prince George's fire department, two "good samaritans" and two police trainees helped to rescue a man whose truck crashed and overturned in a collection pond Tuesday night, officials said. The man was left trapped with water up to his neck.

Mark Brady, a spokesman for the fire department, said two "good samaritans" and a pair of Anne Arundel County police cadets waded into the water and held the unconscious man's head above the water until firefighters arrived.

Rescuers were called to the pond, near the intersection of Annapolis Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Highway in the Lanham area, about 6:45 p.m., police and fire officials said.

The man, who was the only person in the vehicle, was taken to a hospital with serious and potentially life-threatening injuries, Brady said. The cause of the accident is under investigation.

-- Clarence Williams

By Erica Johnston  | November 2, 2010; 10:05 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. man, 63, dies a week after assault
Next: Fire at D.C. apartment displaces 21

Comments

Bravo!

Posted by: Itzajob | November 2, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: imbush26 | November 3, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I saw this last night about 6:30pm as I was taking my son to work and wondered what was going on. It was very startling. There were a lot of police, ambulances and firetrucks! Thank God for the two good samaritans! Prayerfully there are more people in this world that will stop and help someone in need. I pray the driver will be ok! Way to go good samaritans!!!!!

Posted by: imbush26 | November 3, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse