Posted at 1:25 PM ET, 02/14/2011

Md. inmate dead after being struck with TV

By Associated Press

Authorities say a state prison inmate is dead after another prisoner bludgeoned him with a television set at the Western Correctional Institution near Cumberland.

Maryland State Police say a correctional officer saw an inmate hitting 37-year-old Timothy Davis in the head with a TV in a cell Sunday afternoon. He was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

Police wouldn't identify Davis' alleged assailant because he hasn't been charged.

Davis was sentenced in 2007 to 50 years for attempted first-degree murder and drug and handgun violations in Baltimore city.

It was the second slaying at the maximum-security prison this month. The Feb. 2 death of inmate Blas Mata Aguilar also has been ruled a homicide.

By Associated Press  | February 14, 2011; 1:25 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Incident reported at Richard Montgomery
Next: 3rd homicide in Prince George's in 2 days

Comments

Excuse me? Why do inmates have TVs in their cells in the first place? Is it a prison or the Holiday Inn? Let them read books for entertainment.

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | February 14, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

A reduction in prison population is a good thing. I hope the tv wasn't broken.

Posted by: blackforestcherry | February 14, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Were the Grammy's that bad????

Posted by: tsamm | February 14, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I guessing the flattening screen wasn't a flat screen.

Posted by: PigSkin | February 14, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Take away the weights too. I don't want these guys coming out of prison looking like The Incredible Hulk.

Posted by: TaxiDriver | February 14, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | February 14, 2011 2:09 PM
-------------------------------
That will teach you not to turn the TV while I'm watching "Cops".

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 14, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I guess someone took Justin Bieber losing the Grammy a little too hard.

Posted by: MarilynManson | February 14, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Maybe taht LAdy GaGa egg hting gave dude flashbacks in the cell and lead to violence with the TV killing an inmate.

Well, anyways the illimination process by default is working well in Western (what a oxymoron) Correctinal Facility in the CumbersomeLand for fellow and yellow inmates.

Posted by: TheresaDudleyStank | February 14, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | February 14, 2011 2:09 PM
-------------------------------
That will teach you not to turn the TV while I'm watching "Cops".

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 14, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | February 14, 2011 2:09 PM
-------------------------------
That will teach you not to turn the TV while I'm watching "Cops".

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 14, 2011 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the multiple comments.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 14, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

********************
The same damn reason you have a TV in your bedroom! Their families paid for it! It wasnt purchased with your tax dollars just there food, electricity and the guards salary is.

Posted by: bobby20 | February 14, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to know what model TV was used in this beating. It could be handy in case of a home invasion. People expect guns or knives to be stashed under a mattress, but no one would ever expect that a cheap TV from CVS could be a lethal weapon.

Posted by: GP04 | February 14, 2011 5:15 PM | Report abuse

********************
Posted by: bobby20
****************************
The issue of who paid for it aside - why are they allowed to have a TV in their cell?

Posted by: overed | February 14, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, the victim might've just wanted to get on TV, but the TV got on HIM! {Me so funny ...]

Posted by: lilhornie | February 14, 2011 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | F

Yes, inmates have TV to watch, they also have recreation, they also have decent food and a bed. I know they are suppose to live like dogs in a small box barely with air to breath and no sunlight but the truth is prisons are built to house humans even if the humans sometimes behave like subhumans. By the way some of them actually get let back out into society and live in your community. Do you want the rehabilitated or subhuman when they return to the streets. I think when we read post of bloggers complaining about how good prisoners have it they obviously have not been to prison or behind bars of any kind. Most of us could not handle having your freedom taken away much less all the other things that go with being there. Like getting your head smashed in by a TV.

Posted by: ged0386 | February 14, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

You all are some sick people. A violent murder is not a joke. There is a sound and practical reason for incarceration and there is no worthwhile reason to torture or demean those convicted of crime and held in prisons.
Not that you would be interested, but fyi, there is a considerable body of evidence that clearly show the dangerous and negative impact on society, associated with the disgusting conditions in our prison system. It really isn't funny at all.

Posted by: right_as_rain | February 14, 2011 7:05 PM | Report abuse

********************
Posted by: bobby20
****************************

****************

Posted by: bobby20 | February 14, 2011 7:13 PM | Report abuse

********************
Posted by: bobby20
****************************

****************
I dont know why they are "allowed" to have a TV in there cells, I just know they can. Inmate, families provide for everything from socks, underwear, toothbrush and TV & radios. We are talking about PRISON NOT COUNTY JAIL.

Posted by: bobby20 | February 14, 2011 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Who says TV doesn't promote violence?!

Posted by: PepperDr | February 14, 2011 11:18 PM | Report abuse

And why should we not demean prisoners, especially criminals convicted of violent crimes such as the prisoner killed by the TV.

This political correctness is out of control.

Prisoners should have no TV in their cells, and only limited TV in the day/general areas.

They should be made to work hard, very hard.

Even made up work such as breaking rocks, digging and refilling holes, moving heavy objects in hot and cold conditions, ect.....would be better than the current system where convicts sit around and get fat while watching TV and playing cards.

prison is meant to be for punishment as well as reform.

and, in truth, the convict killed was probably a lost cause and his early death is a betterment for all mankind.

Posted by: OldSalt8 | February 15, 2011 9:20 AM | Report abuse

My brother has been in and out of jail for stupid things like DUI, DWI, not paying child support, etc., and has had TVs in is room during some of his stays. I don't have an issue with the TV because it was not purchased by the state. I do, however, have a problem with the money state taxpayers pay for the electricity charging the TV. Then again I have a problem with the TVs in my house running for hours on end because I detest wasting energy.

Posted by: gladiatorgal | February 15, 2011 10:42 AM | Report abuse

My brother has been in and out of jail for stupid things like DUI, DWI, not paying child support, etc., and has had TVs in is room during some of his stays. I don't have an issue with the TV because it was not purchased by the state. I do, however, have a problem with the money state taxpayers pay for the electricity charging the TV. Then again I have a problem with the TVs in my house running for hours on end because I simply detest wasting energy.

Posted by: gladiatorgal | February 15, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Too funny!!! Tragic, but the comments here are too funny!!! I just know, know one in that prison will ever try changing the channel when the head-banger said "do not touch the channel - or else...

Posted by: 0126 | February 15, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I guess Mr Davis got the death penalty.

Posted by: sassybaby5 | February 17, 2011 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I guess Mr Davis got the death penalty.

Posted by: sassybaby5 | February 17, 2011 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I guess Mr Davis got the death penalty.

Posted by: sassybaby5 | February 17, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Funny how you naysayers always seem to find something negative to say about prisoners. Most of yall just never got caught yet doing the things you do and then are ashamed to look yourselves in the mirror. Let me tell you this: Timmy has family, friends, kids and people who love him. G I 4ever!!! WATCH WHAT YOU SAY!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BigJailNicca | February 17, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse