Posted at 4:07 PM ET, 11/17/2010

Petition to keep Leslie Johnson off council

By Ovetta Wiggins

Some Prince George's residents have started an online petition to keep Leslie Johnson from taking her seat on the county council.

Johnson, who earlier this month won election the county council, was arrested Friday along with her husband County Executive Jack B. Johnson and charged with evidence tampering and destruction of evidence.

The online petition is called "Leslie Johnson must resign now!"

"We must spread the word far and near in our District that we need honest and respectable representation for District 6 on the [Prince George's] County Council," reads the email that is circulating in the community.

The residents say they plan to present the signatures to the Maryland General Assembly, the Prince George's County delegation and Gov. Martin O'Malley (D), asking them to intervene.

By Ovetta Wiggins  | November 17, 2010; 4:07 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Md. oystermen strike over oyster price drop
Next: Chandra Levy jury heads home for the day

Comments

Why not post a link to the petition?

Posted by: emcglaughlin | November 17, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

While I appreciate the sentiment, aren't you innocent until proven guilty?

Seems it would be better if she didn't take her seat until there is a verdict (perhaps using a temporary representative so District 6 is still represented). If guilty, then resign.

Posted by: rrosen3 | November 17, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Yes- where is the link?!!

Posted by: 10bestfan | November 17, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posting a link to the petition in a straight news piece would make it look as though the Post was taking sides. If this was an op-ed piece, posting a link would not be out of line. Having said that, it would be nice if the first editorial piece on this petition had a link.

Posted by: GP04 | November 17, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh come on!

She's a model citizen!

Stuffing $76,000 dollars down her bra as the FBI arrived was just an accident!

LOL!

Posted by: Jaymand | November 17, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't live in District 6 so I'm not taking a position on the petition, but here's the link:

Posted by: pundito | November 17, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Enough said herewith. Can she honestly and truthfully declare this if she takes the oath on Dec 6? Furthermore, Jack has violated it and therefore should not be able to step foot in the office, which is "sacred" ground based on the oath that he promised to withhold.

The Maryland Constitution's Requirement to take the Oath of Office

and

The Actual Oath of Office Public Servants in Maryland are Required to Take

Article 1, Elective Franchise

SEC. 9. Every person elected, or appointed, to any office of profit or trust, under this Constitution, or under the Laws, made pursuant thereto, shall, before he enters upon the duties of such office, take and subscribe the following oath, or affirmation:

I, _______________, do swear, (or affirm, as the case may be), that I will support the Constitution of the United States; and that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to the State of Maryland, and support the Constitution and Laws thereof; and that I will, to the best of my skill and judgment, diligently and faithfully, without partiality or prejudice, execute the office of ________________, according to the Constitution and Laws of this State, (and, if a Governor, Senator, Member of the House of Delegates, or Judge,) that I will not directly or indirectly, receive the profits or any part of the profits of any other office during the term of my acting as ___________ (originally Article I, sec. 6, renumbered by Chapter 681, Acts of 1977, ratified Nov. 7, 1978).

Source: http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/43const/html/01art1.html

Posted by: blessed7 | November 18, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Enough said herewith:

The Maryland Constitution's Requirement to take the Oath of Office

and

The Actual Oath of Office Public Servants in Maryland are Required to Take

Article 1, Elective Franchise

Source: http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/43const/html/01art1.html

Posted by: blessed7 | November 18, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

correction: "uphold" not "withhold"

Posted by: blessed7 | November 18, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

petition okay went your name get on it let me check you out let see what behind your door i am going to wait see and she has already taken the with her huband she did what her huband have ask her to do not knowing it was going to go like that when it all over she may still be the best one she know.

Posted by: johnsonhermanj | November 18, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse