Posted at 9:10 PM ET, 02/ 7/2011

Police: Erase all evidence of GPS from car

By Martin Weil

It's not enough to remove GPS devices from car windshields to prevent theft, Fairfax County police said Monday.

To avoid luring thieves, the mark from the suction cup holding the devices must be erased, they said.

The advice came as they reported four arrests following an investigation of a rash of 2010 GPS thefts. Sometimes, police said, a suction cup mark on a windshield, would lead thieves to break into a vehicle and search for valuables.

Two suspects were each charged with four counts of possession of stolen property with the intent to resell, police said. The GPS thefts were from cars in the Franconia, Burke and Mount Vernon areas in November and December, police said.

By Martin Weil  | February 7, 2011; 9:10 PM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC, Maryland, Virginia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pepco execs criticized at MoCo hearing
Next: Buzz: Pepco grilled, Canada chilled

Comments

Then again, we can just choose not to live in a high crime neighborhood.

Posted by: Nemo24601 | February 8, 2011 3:16 AM | Report abuse

aaah Nemo, not sure if that'll actually work....Believe it or not, some have no choice where they live. I mean, really some folk are poor, or poorer than obviously you. In addition, this kind of thing doesn't only happen in "bad" neighborhoods. Before you say anything about being poor and having a GPS, those things are not expensive, especially the ones you suction cup to the windshield.

Posted by: awfulexcuse1 | February 8, 2011 7:09 AM | Report abuse

My GPS was stolen from a 7/11 parking lot with a Motgomerry Co. cop in the parking lot in Gaithersburg and I was told I should have locked my vehicle. Needless to say I was told I had to go to the station and fill out a report. So long GPS...

Posted by: Frank60 | February 8, 2011 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Frank60 | February 8, 2011 7:10 AM | Report abuse

You should have locked your vehicle Frank60...

Posted by: netsurf12 | February 8, 2011 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Once the prices of GPS's tank, and it'll happen, this will no longer be an issue. Hey, isn't there an APP for that anyway?

Posted by: Nghbrhdwatch | February 8, 2011 8:07 AM | Report abuse

A high crime neighborhood like McLean, where a friend of mine had her car broken into in a church parking lot about half a mile from CIA.

Posted by: wiredog | February 8, 2011 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Or you can get GPS on your cell phone, and some are FREE. I have no pity for people whose cars are broken into because of leaving valuables in them.

Posted by: jennthehen | February 8, 2011 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jennthehen | February 8, 2011 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Where are these people going that they would even need GPS? A map costs $3. A map? Look it up.

Posted by: jckdoors | February 8, 2011 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Gee, this is really big news, the Fairfax Co. cops are on to something big here.

I think most people with GPS's realized that they need to wipe off the suction mark, pretty much right after they realized that there was a suction mark left.

Hey, mapboy, welcome to 2011!

Posted by: mike8 | February 8, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Glad I need my key to be near my lock for my car doors to unlock, so I don't have to worry about locking my doors. But a thief could always bust my windows and take anything they want.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | February 8, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Damn. I thought they were talking about the marks my girlfriend left on my windshield the other day.

Posted by: fmamstyle | February 8, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Some GPS units have a password security feature. This needs to be entered when it is powered up or starts to move. No correct password and the unit shuts down making it a useless piece of metal and plastic. When more manufacturers offer this (or owners select this option) thefts of these devices will drop.

Posted by: proof | February 8, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I love the luddites with maps who spread them across their steering wheel while they simultaneously rubberneck the roadside, drive 25 mph, and ignore the driver in front of them.

Stay home pops.