Posted at 6:40 AM ET, 09/17/2010

Police shoot armed man near U.S. Capitol

By Debbi Wilgoren

U.S. Capitol Police shot a man who allegedly brandished a weapon at them near the Capitol early Friday, a spokeswoman for the agency said.

The man, whose name was not released, was taken to a hospital for treatment. No information on his condition was available.

Capitol Police spokeswoman Kimberly A. Schneider said police were called to the intersection of Second and C streets SW about 5 a.m. for a report of a man with a gun. Police found the man, and he reportedly brandished a gun at them, Schneider said. Officers then opened fire.

The police investigation of the shooting, which happened to the rear of the heavily guarded Capitol complex, led to some street closures during the start of the morning rush. Police blocked the ramp from the northbound Third Street Tunnel to C Street, and closed C Street from 2nd to 3rd streets.

The officers involved in the shooting were not injured, Schneider said. D.C. police are aiding in the investigation of the incident. No other information was released.

capitol hill

Police officers at the scene of a shooting on Capitol Hill. (Photo: AP)

By Debbi Wilgoren  | September 17, 2010; 6:40 AM ET
Categories:  Crime and Public Safety, DC, Traffic and Transportation
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lori's A.M. Buzz: Happy sunny weekend
Next: Fenty wins! (As a GOP write-in)

Comments

Did he bite a poodle?

Posted by: ObamasGulfResponseIsMuchWorseThanKatrina | September 17, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

This man was only exercising his second amendment rights! How dare police try to take it away from him! Sarah Palin! Where are you??? Help us! We are under attack! All he wanted to do was intimidate the cops!

Posted by: swatkins1 | September 17, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

If more people had guns this wouldn't be a proble... wait what?

Posted by: Mainah32 | September 17, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

All of these guns and shootings should be enough to ban handguns altogether. I would hope that the NRA would buy in and get legislation passed finally.

Posted by: dcboy7 | September 17, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

And I bet they didn't tell him to drop the gun.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | September 17, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Interesting, this is the second recent killing by police in that area for a mysterious-man-brandishing-weapon late at night...

Posted by: mendelsonmustgo | September 17, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, did I miss something? The article says it happened "early" friday, not at night.. and the "suspect" has not been confirmed as killed.

Posted by: jg22 | September 17, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

@dcboy7 I'm sure that if there was a gun ban that this nutbag wouldn't have had gun. God forbid that he break a law. Do you really think that a man who is willing to draw a gun on Capitol Police would really care if he was legally supposed to have it or not? Wait, isn't there already a gun ban in DC. Guess that didn't work either.

Posted by: kknepp1 | September 17, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kknepp1 | September 17, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Come on now...we all know the NRA is at fault here because some whack job had a gun.
It isn't like crazy people drive cars and cause accidents or attempt to take hostages at Discovery...

Posted by: BigDaddy651 | September 17, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

In regards to the 2nd Amendment, if someone were to point a weapon at me I would take that as a hostile act. If they kept the fire-arm holstered then I would see no problem or threat to myself. But then again I'm human.

Posted by: Cryoliss | September 17, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Liberals.....you just can't see past your own bias. Any person who points a gun at the police deserves exactly what they get. I wonder if all guns used by criminals are legally registered? I wonder if banning handguns will take the guns out of the hands of criminals or just innocent citizens who have the constitutional right to own and use the firearms as long as they do not break any laws in doing so.

Posted by: jlkilmer | September 17, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"we dont let them have ideas, why would we let them have guns", quote joseph stalin, Now the 2nd amend does say one can commit a crime with a gun, 1st amend doesnt allow one to scream fire in a theatre, our rights come from god, not liberals..Being a liberal should become a hate crime, lol

Posted by: greengameover | September 17, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I refuse to believe this story. You can't carry a gun in DC. The law says so!

Oh wait, criminals ALWAYS ignore the law. Hence, law abiding citizens are the ones left unarmed.

Brilliant, DC. You Chicago, Detroit, etc., have all figured out the solution to crime.

Posted by: Hk45 | September 17, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to strain your brain cell, but you can't judge people who think about issues as far left liberals. If a guy pulls a gun, plug him.

Posted by: Niner1 | September 17, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Another saint who has a direct line to God. St.Greengameover, I can accept that you and your ilk talk to God, but not too many people have the Lord chatting with them. You do know where most people who hear God giving them instructions are found? (Hint; it ain't in church.)

Posted by: blackbullhead | September 17, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I come from Holland (Europa, across the UK heading Germany) and people can't get gun permits there. However there is an exception for hunters and sport shooters, they can get a license which gives you permission to own a gun (or rifle), but not carry it. You are allowed to transport the gun from home to the range or shooting competition but only without any detours. In order to get a license you need to be a member of a shooting association for at least a year, visit the range at least 18 times and register each visit, pass an exam for the caliber you want to buy and need a conduct of good behavior of the district attorney. You have to renew your license each year and meet the requirement of 18 registered visits.

But with all the government here at all I think it's wise to keep DC gun free. And yes, guns don't kill people, people do. But police can keep citizens more safe if the know nobody is allowed to have a gun. There is absolutely no need to carry a gun on the street. You want to shoot some targets? Go to a shooting range where it is safe and controlled.

Visibly carry a gun near the Capitol. That man is very lucky the police didn't kill him. Guns can keep the peace, but more often they are not used in that way. However a gun or rifle is the only weapon that one can use to kill from a distance. All other weapons such as knives or bats need close encounters to be any affective..

Just my two cents.

Posted by: zyprexia | September 17, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

dcboy wrote

Posted by: dcboy7

You fool I guess you know that most law abiding citizens follow the rules with weapons, Only the criminal will have the guns idiot

Posted by: locknload | September 17, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Hk45: This guy probably is from Virginia, where everybody is apparently required to carry a gun. How he got to DC I'll never know.

Posted by: Donzinho | September 17, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this strait... he brandished the gun? He didnt point it at them? This is considered an appropriate response? The officers who shot this man should be prosecuted.

Posted by: jdubyaa | September 17, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

dcboy wrote

Posted by: dcboy7

Posted by: locknload | September 17, 2010 1:49 PM

Why are both of you wasting time arguing the same lame argument people do whenever there is a shooting?

Posted by: ged0386 | September 17, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jdubyaa | September 17, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@dcboy

Let me make something VERY clear to you... Once you ban firearms, the ONLY people who will still have firearms will be criminals.

I suggest you go and do some research on what happens in countries who institue firearm bans... Crime rate does not go down, it skyrockets!

I'll also tell you one other thing, you'll only take my firearms from my cold, dead, hands. Because that's what its going to take to take my firearms away from me.

Posted by: jdubyaa | September 17, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

The view from the UK. I spend time in DC and in London and I know where I feel safest; DC where the cops have guns. We who had licensed handguns in UK had to hand them in for melting down into road drain covers in 1997. Most criminals now have guns, its just they don't register them! Trouble is our police only have pepper spray or taser to protect us with (oh the SWAT team is back at HQ chewing doughnuts but by the time they get there all they can do is mop up the blood). The fact is when the citizen is unarmed criminals will exploit their defencelessness. Read the following from WP of April 24 2007,
Learn from our plight dear American cousins; 1. Don't register your guns, 2. Stock up guns ammo and reloading stuff, 3. Get some back up stock buried out in the boonies in oil-filled plastic drain pipe sections. All the time you have guns tucked away any legislation to ban them is pointless!

Posted by: Dispossessed_UK | September 17, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The bit from the WP (Washington Post) was;

The number of crimes in which a handgun was used in England and Wales has risen from 299 in 1995 to 1,024 last year.

Posted by: Dispossessed_UK | September 17, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The article did not say if the gun was or was not loaded. This may have been a “Suicide by Cop”. If this were case the cops were never in danger.

Posted by: mlstoianoff | September 17, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

dcboy7 with all of these drunk drivers hitting and running and maiming and killing innocents, I'd think we'd have banned all automobiles by now. I would hope that the auto manufacturers would buy in and pass legislation finally.

Posted by: red2million | September 17, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

mistoinanoff whether or not it was loaded is irrelevant. Cops are trained to shoot people who brandish firearms, not to determine whether or not the gun is loaded. If you're dumb enough to point a weapon at cops you're breathing air a person with an actual brain could be breathing, and you deserve to be shot multiple times and die. We're running out of resources, none left for morons and criminals, and definitely not enough left for moronic criminals.

Posted by: red2million | September 17, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

DCboy is a glaring example of leftist stupidity and just another reason that DC should not have a vote in congress.

Posted by: madmike272 | September 17, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: madmike272 | September 17, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who haven't kept up: you ARE allowed to own a gun in DC.

To madmike272: you would not grant 600K people the right to vote because of one person's post to a story in the WaPo? What about skin color or religon?

Virgina wants to pass a law allowing anyone to openly carry a gun. While the Republicans keep pushing for total gun freedom in the District you can bet they will draw the line at whereever THEY live and work.

Posted by: Jimof1913 | September 17, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

"But I already thought D.C. was already a gun-free zone for citizens. I believed that only law enforcement personal are allowed to carry guns in DC."

LOL note that you'd only know if someone had a gun in DC if they showed it to you. If it isn't clearly visible then legally it's a concealed weapon, which is legally not constitutionally-protected. Even if it's legal for them to have a gun in that specific area.

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | September 17, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jimof1913

----------------------------------------------

You obviously do not know the law in Virginia. It has been legal for any person who is not prohibited to have a firearm under Federal rules to carry said firearm OPENLY for years. No permit, just carry.

The last change in Virginia law was to allow individuals carrying concealed to eat but not drink alcoholic beverages in places selling food and alcoholic drink. You could always carry open in these places, and both eat and drink alcoholic beverages.

Posted by: GHF_LRLTD | September 17, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse